Sweet Cravings... Help!

Options
I'm doing my best to eat healthily today, since I didn't do so well during the days before, during and after Independence Day, but I'm having very severe sweet cravings that make me long to go and buy something overly sweet for a snack or something, however, when I give in to such feelings I almost always overdo it. Any thoughts?

Replies

• mmg0327
    mmg0327 Posts: 29
    Options
    Frozen fruit!
    I swear by frozen dark sweet cherries when I have nagging sugar cravings (45cal per 1/2 cup). I also get pretty major sweet/salty cravings that I can usually curb with apple slices with peanut butter.

If I desperately need to have that indulgent snack, I'll choose to walk to the grocery store that's a 20min walk away, rather than the convenience store next door to my apartment. If you are able to walk instead of drive, you can counter the treat with some excercise cals burned. I know it's not an option for everyone, but it works for me :)
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What works for me is tying my sweet treat to a specific time. Right now it's payday Friday. In the meantime when I am waiting on that Friday, I suck on a peppermint instead of indulging in cookies, cakes, ice cream, etc. It's hard to beat the monster, but not impossible.
  • CheekyBrahette
    CheekyBrahette Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If I have a chocolate craving I'll usually opt for a Kashi baked brownie square. It has just enough chocolate flavor that my craving goes away, but doesn't have enough flavor to make me want to eat a whole box.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I, too, have a crazy sweet tooth. When I'm really trying to be good, I'll go for a bowl of oatmeal with a teaspoon of Nutella mixed in. The tiny bit of Nutella goes a looooooong way in flavour (probably helps that the oatmeal is so creamy!) and overall the dish is rather filling and satisfying.
  • trodney1104
    trodney1104 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ the frozen fruit option. I freeze a cup of grapes in a baggie & its just like having candy. I also freeze cups of lowfat yogurt & I have instant ice cream. Sometimes a bowl of cereal will hit the spot too. Another option could be a fruit parfait w/ a little cool whip. Put it in a pretty glass/bowl & enjoy!
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    my go to treat. 1/4 cup low fat ricotta cheese mixed with 1 cup frozen blueberries. YUM! 130 calories and I feel like I ate a huge bowl of ice cream. LOL
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    Sweets do spike your blood glucose, and your body overcompensates by removing too much blood sugar (it is designed for dealing with fruit, not refined sugar). As a result, you end up having low blood sugar a few hours later which results in new cravings for sweets. To minimize the impact of the blood glucose roller coaster, try to hold off having sweets until late afternoon or evening.
  • SweetLilyR
    SweetLilyR Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Chocolate mint tea...

I have two huge chocolate mint patches by my kitchen door...reach out, pick off some leaves, add to hot water, steep for ten minutes.

It curbs my more serious sweet cravings...usually.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If I have a chocolate craving, I have 1 Hershey Dark Chocolate Kiss which is 21 calories.
    If I still want more sweets.
    I drink Water, Watched Dr. Oz and he said more than likely you are dehydrated, so try drinking more water.

I also have sugar free jello which satisfies my sweet tooth.
  • Morwen1969
    Morwen1969 Posts: 11
    Options
    Last night, hubby sent me on a garbage food run. I'm always tempted to buy stuff for myself when I do these runs. This time I followed your advice. Rather than buy myself some junk, I bought a nice, juicy white peach. Yum! I still helped myself to some of my husband's junk, but I didn't eat as much as I might have if I'd chosen to buy junk for myself. So, kudos to all of you. I have a new strategy in my arsenal. Thank you.
    I'm also finding that drinking water when you have any peculiar cravings isn't bunk. Only I drink the water first and, if I'm still hungry after that, then I satisfy the craving in the healthiest way possible. Again, thanks to all you guys. I appreciate each of you that replied.
  • marthahorn
    marthahorn Posts: 23
    Options
    when an overwhelming sweet urge hits me, i look at what i've eaten so far for the day. for ME -and not everyone!-simple carbs are usually the culprit because they turn to sugar in my system too quickly. If i eat something of protein and fat (like a cheese stick) it will curb the urge because one little bit won't be enough. As long as i avoid simple carbs i've found that I also avoid sugar urges.
  • Vokerath
    Vokerath Posts: 5
    Options
    Just eat a banana, sweet, quick and filling.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Healthy & safe supplements to kill cravings are L-Glutamine (powder form is least expensive & works fastest, w/i seconds if put under your tongue) taken between meals and/or GTF Chromium taken with meals.