Sick and tired of protein... any advice?

Options
I am really trying to get my protein up to around 110g but I AM SO SICK OF PROTEIN FOODS!!! Me and greek yogurt are still cool but chicken, turkey, egg whites,pork and protein shakes are definitely not friends anymore :noway: .
Any advice on how to switch it up?

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Fish, beef, beans, nuts.

Or try a different protein shake.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Mabe google for some new recipes? Add proteinowder to your pancake mix? Eat fish?
    Try new/protein bars?

I don't LOVE Greek yogurt and protein shakes, but they are tolerable and I eat them to help meet reach my protein goal.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the meats plain?

Because plain grilled chicken? Boring. Chicken with bbq sauce, buffalo sauce, salsa, lemon garlic marinade, teriyaki sauce, peanut satay sauce, marinara, pesto, vodka sauce, alfredo, Ranch, breaded with corn flake crumbs, stuffed with ham and swiss as Chicken Cordon Blue... totally different story.

I have chicken easily 5 nights a week. Still not sick of it. I don't ask my husband, "What do you want for dinner tonight?" I ask, "How do you want your chicken?" laugh:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I made protien pancakes today. I'm gonna have to tweak the recipe a little t make them slightly sweeter, but they were awesome.

4 eggs
    3 oz. Greek yogurt
    I scoop Trutein pumpkin pie powder
    1 tbsp flour
    Probably going to add a packet of truvia next time.
    Butter for the pan (optional)
    Makes 7 pancakes
    Each one has: 81 calories, 3g carbs, 4g fat, 9g protein
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Agree with others above, mix it up, try different flavours and meat. I can't imagine ever eating egg whites on their own, seems more like torture than any messed up rice cake diet. If you're eating turkey and egg whites to keep your calories and/or fat low then seafood is the way to go imo, shellfish in particular are super tasty and low calorie/fat but any white fish will be too. If you're in the US then tilapia seems to be the 'in' bro food, we don't have that in ireland afaik.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just posted an idea for truffle proteins, its in the food and nutrition section somewhere XD
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are indeed boring. Have some yolks :)

Here are some more protein sources. You are forgetting some vegetable ones, I think (soy, lentils). I am about as un-vegetarian as they get, and I eat those on a regular basis because I like to have some variety in my diet.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
  • malloryteresa
    Options
    '
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    lol too many ingredients in the protein pancakes!

2 eggs, 1 banana (ripe or overly is best, any size), 1-2scoops protein powder (any or no flavour), mix together, small bit of butter or coconut oil i the pan.

Makes 1 giant or 2 med pancakes. hard to flip but if you leave it to start burning it's easier, or just use 2 large spatulas to turn, you'll get the hang of it.

then stick some agave nectar (or whatever) and some berries on top, voila! nom.

You can also get your protein from beans, legumes, seeds etc you don't just have to eat meat and shakes all the time
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm

Do abit of research yourself all you need to do is google whatever food you want to eat and put high protein or low carb in front of it!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I am in agreement with you, I am so sick of it.
    Today is day one of a new 'plan' I conjured up.
    I mixed up my lactose free milk, egg protein, and coconut milk. (add flavor if you like) for the entire day.
    I am just keeping that in the fridge today, drink when I go there, and by the end of the day I will have that extra protein needed (the entire container is about 70g of protein) as long as I drink it.
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    I made salmon croquettes last night that had 23g protein. They were basically just canned pink salmon w/a little greek yogurt, tarragon, egg white, celery, onion, Dijon, and pepper w/saltine crackers crushed inside and a thin coating. I made a delicious remoulade to go w/them and only used 2 tsp of it to give a luxurious flavor. Added up to 291 cals as I use whole fat dairy products and used a little butter to fry them in as that makes them ridiculously good, but it was all worth it.
  • Marissa0
    Marissa0 Posts: 2
    Options
    There are lots of other foods with protein! :) Nuts are a wonderful source and if you are aiming for a high protein/low carb diet these are perfect. They are also simply healthy no matter if you are losing weight or not. Try almonds, peanuts, flax seeds, sunflower seeds, ... there are so many. If you like fish and live near an ocean, native/local fish is also a great way to get protein. Some types of fish do not have a lot of 'fish' flavor which I personally prefer. But I do like shrimp and lobster. There are grains which provide complete proteins as well. Try quinoa, amaranth, or bulgar. Each grain offers a different flavor and works best with different recipes. Quinoa is great with citrus fruit and can be used in traditional pasta salads... in place of pasta. You can also consume beans. Personally my favorite bean recipe is my homemade hummus. Its so cheap, filling, healthy, protein filled... delicious... I could go on. But if you are interested here is my recipe:

12 oz canned or precooked and cooled chick peas
    1 large lemon or 2 small: juiced
    your choice of sweetener, i prefer honey but honey has a distinct flavor, other people like sugar... but use this 'to taste'
    dash of salt if using precooked chick peas (i.e. not the canned ones)
    water for blending

Simply blend in food processor or blender the chick peas, your choice sweetener (start with 1 teaspoon, dash salt, and lemon juice. Add a bit of water as needed until its a mostly smooth consistency. Taste it... if you need more sugar (or sweetener) add it... blend again. It takes a few minutes because the chick peas are dense and do require additional water every 30 seconds or so because they tend to be a dryer food. You can blend it until complete smooth or leave some peas partially whole. I like to use it as a dip and I toss in about one tablespoon of freshly ground flax seeds for a bit of a flavor 'punch'. I only add the flax seed to my plate just before I eat it. I find the flax seed tastes odd if mixed in the batch of hummus... especially if it sits for a few days. But this version is a 'sweet/sour' version of classic hummus which I don't care too much for as I am not a fan of spices. I find this really tasty with Wheat Thin crackers, on celery or something else with a bit of a crunch and salty too.

There are lots of things to enjoy that are high in protein but not 'meat' or eggs which honestly does get exhausting after a bit. Oh don't forget about cheese too. ;)

hope this helps
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    KAL nutritional yeast powder has roughly 6/8 grams per tablespoon. Easy add-in it as a seasoning to salads, kale chips, soups, pasta.

Make homemade "Larabars." 1/4 cup raisins, 1/4 cup nuts or seeds, 1/4 cup oatmeal + enough to make them "bars" and pinch of salt, cinnamon, and/or vanilla extract.

Try homemade bean burgers. Can of beans, hand mash with diced onion, some diced pepper, and seasonings to taste. Pan fry and enjoy in a pita or burger bun or on a salad.

*AND* Protein isn't the end-all be-all of a diet. Protein is in everything to some amount. Eat enough calories and you will get enough protein. Too much protein can damage and scar the kidneys. Notice more and more people getting kidney transplants these days or having kidney related diseases than they did in 1950? Something to think about...I am guessing the average person didn't obsess about protein then and the average person was closer to a healthier weight back then too.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the meats plain?

Because plain grilled chicken? Boring. Chicken with bbq sauce, buffalo sauce, salsa, lemon garlic marinade, teriyaki sauce, peanut satay sauce, marinara, pesto, vodka sauce, alfredo, Ranch, breaded with corn flake crumbs, stuffed with ham and swiss as Chicken Cordon Blue... totally different story.

I have chicken easily 5 nights a week. Still not sick of it. I don't ask my husband, "What do you want for dinner tonight?" I ask, "How do you want your chicken?" laugh:

I took a pork cut, rubbed it down in mesquite and threw it in the crock pot with some bbq sauce. Amazing. I also love chicken fajitas with peppers and onions, salsa and sour cream. Yummy.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Eat More Carbs.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    lol too many ingredients in the protein pancakes!

2 eggs, 1 banana (ripe or overly is best, any size), 1-2scoops protein powder (any or no flavour), mix together, small bit of butter or coconut oil i the pan.

Makes 1 giant or 2 med pancakes. hard to flip but if you leave it to start burning it's easier, or just use 2 large spatulas to turn, you'll get the hang of it.

then stick some agave nectar (or whatever) and some berries on top, voila! nom.

You can also get your protein from beans, legumes, seeds etc you don't just have to eat meat and shakes all the time
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm

Do abit of research yourself all you need to do is google whatever food you want to eat and put high protein or low carb in front of it!

So one more ingredient in mine makes for "way too many" ingredients? Got it. Lol.

And some people are allergic to bananas (me).
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Tessyloowhoo Posts: 504
    Options
    Eat More Carbs.

Forgot to mention i am only allowed about 50-70 net carbs a day depending on my cardio... I am on a low-carb diet for seizures and i would have to be force-fed fish to tolerate it!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Eat More Carbs.

Forgot to mention i am only allowed about 50-70 net carbs a day depending on my cardio... I am on a low-carb diet for seizures and i would have to be force-fed fish to tolerate it!

That sucks. I need my carbs, or I'm not very happy. as other said, guy a whole ton of sauces.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Send the extra protons to me