Sick and tired of protein... any advice?

Options

Replies

• sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump for new ideas
  • ELVISDEAN
    ELVISDEAN Posts: 77
    Options
    YEAH DUMP PROTEIN FOODS FOR 6 WEEKS...WATCH OUT..YOU WILL LOSE ALL THE FAT U WANT
    CARBS FOREVAH
    ELVIS
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I am really trying to get my protein up to around 110g but I AM SO SICK OF PROTEIN FOODS!!! Me and greek yogurt are still cool but chicken, turkey, egg whites,pork and protein shakes are definitely not friends anymore :noway: .
    Any advice on how to switch it up?
    chicken (many different dishes, stir fry, curry, spiced, smoked, bbqed, soups, etc)
    turkey (many different dishes, soups, 'dry' deep fried, marinated, bbqed, sunday supers etc)
    fish (many different dishes, pies, etc...I tend to only eat battered and deep fried)
    beef (many different types, marinated steak, ribs, etc, many different dishes, smoked, BBQ and spicy dishes are my fave for this)
    pork (many different dishes, marinated tend to be my fav for this)
    egg (many different dishes, deviled, boiled, stir with chocolate protein powder and make a chocolate protein pancake etc)
    milk
    yogurt (I tend to use greek and flavor with fresh berries)
    shakes (many flavors, tend to add fruit or spices)
    nuts (almond, pine nuts, etc, tend to add them to salads and yogurts, spiced, roasted, and candied are my favs)
    seeds (pumpkin is my fav, tend to add them to salads and yogurts, good roasted)
    beans (kidney, soy, etc)
    hummus (different flavors)
    tofu
    peanut or hazelnut spreads (add them to fruits, breads, shakes etc)

There's lots of options. I'd be here forever trying to list them all but there's my vague list.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Time for you to go vegan
  • MegsLeaBrown
    MegsLeaBrown Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I ABSOLUTELY HATE protein shakes... and my husband was insisting that I increase my protein intake. So I tried QUEST BARS instead. They are great! They are gluten free, have lots of fiber and at least 20g of protein per bar. They are good for something quick on the go after a work out or you can use them for breakfast like I do.

They taste best when you heat them up for about 10sec in the microwave - and they actually taste like the desserts that they say they do.

My favorite flavors: cinnamon bun, banana nut muffin, strawberry cheesecake, chocolate brownie, cookie dough, lemon cheesecake. But I encourage you to try each of the flavors yourself :D
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the meats plain?

Because plain grilled chicken? Boring. Chicken with bbq sauce, buffalo sauce, salsa, lemon garlic marinade, teriyaki sauce, peanut satay sauce, marinara, pesto, vodka sauce, alfredo, Ranch, breaded with corn flake crumbs, stuffed with ham and swiss as Chicken Cordon Blue... totally different story.

I have chicken easily 5 nights a week. Still not sick of it. I don't ask my husband, "What do you want for dinner tonight?" I ask, "How do you want your chicken?" laugh:

^^^ this this this-ity this!

and adding chicken vindaloo and chicken shawarma to the list (home made versions are much less calorie dense than restaurant versions)
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I think meat is awesome. You can do all kinds of things with it and it's all good. Herbs and spices are the friend of any dieter.

Sorry to hear about the epilepsy but it sounds like you're already doing a pretty good job :)
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Quail, Frog Legs, hamburger, steak, deer meat, beans, peanut butter, peanuts, protein bars, etc. Many many sources. Eating the same thing can get boring after a while but there really are a lot of options for protein. :bigsmile:
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese?
    Quinoa?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    most food are protein bases, so I guess you should just start starving..or go vegan...
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Are you eating the meats plain?

Because plain grilled chicken? Boring. Chicken with bbq sauce, buffalo sauce, salsa, lemon garlic marinade, teriyaki sauce, peanut satay sauce, marinara, pesto, vodka sauce, alfredo, Ranch, breaded with corn flake crumbs, stuffed with ham and swiss as Chicken Cordon Blue... totally different story.

I have chicken easily 5 nights a week. Still not sick of it. I don't ask my husband, "What do you want for dinner tonight?" I ask, "How do you want your chicken?" laugh:

Well said
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I do a double scoop of protein powder in the am to boost me up so I don't struggle so much later in the day :)
  • lostdogg
    lostdogg Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Not much to add that others haven't said. I like lean beef...... I also love beans. There's allot of different things you can do with both to spice them up. Also love fish but I saw earlier in your post that you hate it. If you decide to try it I suggest a non oily fish. Maybe salmon, pollock, or talapia They are less fishy than oily fish like cod. Drizzle with lemon juice and cook with a Bay leaf on top. Pulls the"fishy"taste right out. You can also top with different things like a mild rotel or a raspberry vinegrette drizzle.
    Or you can add a little protien powder to your oatmeal
    Just suggestions
  • EarthyEm
    EarthyEm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Green thai curry is really good too -you can go tofu or chicken.
    Vegan Walnut Taco Salad is pretty great as well! http://www.eatingvibrantly.com/raw-taco-salad/
  • rachelc677
    rachelc677 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You could get Bob's Red Mill - High Protein Tvp and add it to your food....it doesn't have any taste to it so it'll take on the taste of whatever you put it in. For a 1/4 cup you get 12g of protein for 80 calories.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tvp+protein&qs=AS&sk=&FORM=QBIR&pq=tvp prot&sc=8-8&sp=-1&qs=n&sk=#view=detail&id=81F2833E509EB26CF5E2A03F806FC9A5B016A90F&selectedIndex=0
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of meat either, at least not outside my evening meal. So I eat a larger portion of meat with dinner, and then I get the rest of my protein from cottage cheese, greek yogurt, milk, and ice cream. I also get some from veggies like mushrooms, peas, lima beans, etc, although it's not as much as from meat/dairy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm with you lol. I struggle to get my 125g of protein a day.
  • Ennay2
    Ennay2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Make a double or triple batch of whatever flavor protein shake you like (you want about 24 fl oz). Add 4 eggs (if you are lowcarb for seizures, then you should be able to handle the fat of egg yolks). Mix well. Pour into a 8-9" casserole. Bake in a water bath (place inside a larger baking dish and add hot water to the outer dish until it is just below the level of the mixture if possible. ) Bake at 350 for ~ 90 minutes until set - makes a protein flan/mousse thing. You can also do this with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices mixed in a vanilla protein powder and some liquid and have something sorta pumpkin pie filling like.

Or make a double batch of whatever flavor protein shake you like. Stir in a 1/3 cup of chia seeds. Stir and refrigerate for an houir or so. Protein pudding with a bunch of fiber and omega 3
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I think most of us have been eating protein in our meals as long as we've been on table food. I can't say I've ever been sick of it...

It sounds like you're trying to get it in for the sake of getting it in, not actually integrating it into a meal. As has already been pointed out, you don't have to have a plain grilled chicken breast every night. I've madd fried chicken, chicken and dumplings, chicken noodle soup, chicken and rice and broccoli casserole, chicken Alfredo, coconut chicken curry, chicken salad, chicken on top of a salad, chicken pot pies, chicken Parmesan, barbecue chicken, stuffed chicken breasts, cheesy crockpot chicken, orange chicken, chicken Marsala...seriously, that's probably just a fraction of ways I've used chicken. Time to get creative'

ETA: I never meet my protein goals, so I feel your pain there. I'm more of a fat/carb lover :)
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes add a scoop of protein powder to a fruit smoothie...

Also can't stand egg whites, but I make omelettes with 3 egg whites, tarragon spice & white pepper mixed in the egg before cooking, and a 1/4 cup of mozzeralla cheese for the cheese. Tastes pretty good, I don't even miss the yolks...