Best distraction techniques

Options
Hey hey, whenever i feel a binge coming on i've been told by my dietician and councellor to use distraction techniques to get my mind off food till the urge passes, i havent found it huugely helpful but thought i'd post the information here incase it works for anyone else.

Some techniques do work however, i either play with my dogs or have a cigarette lol...

What are your distraction techniques?

Replies

• Chikorita
    Options
    I reckon exercise is a good one. Or cleaning the house. Both of those will burn colories and achieve something.
  • MeganKS
    Options
    I go out and leave the house. I usually go where there is no temptation of food. Like the park. I'll walk around there and be a kid again by going on the swings and what not. I just have fun any way possible. It'll keep me distracted long enough until it's actually "time" for me to eat again, then I just eat healthy like I've been doing. So by the end of the day I've done a work out and stuck to my "diet" while not over eating. :)
  • lesleyuk
    Options
    First thing I try is to drink a glass of water.
    I usually bing when everyone has gone to bed so it i feel like snacking at night i go to bed. I dont binge in my sleep LOL
  • dstacky
    Options
    cleaning is a good one, i usually like cleaning my room but its got so out of hand its a nightmare i dont want to get into
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :drinker: I too have a smoke... and maybe try to get outside for a walk. I like turning on music and dancing around the house to take my mind's focus off of food and turn it into the thought of what am I going to wear the next time my daughter and I hit the club... :bigsmile: It doesn't always work because I've found my binging comes from my depression - stress - etc.... I can't always manage it :grumble: but I do try. :flowerforyou:
  • jeanineadele
    Options
    Cleaning is great. It burns about the same calories as walking. When my room get's a little out of control I mentally divide it off into about 6 smaller sections. Then I set the goal to clean just one of those sections. How do you eat an entire elephant...one bite at a time.

Taking a walk in the park , fall is especially beautiful out and I find nature very relaxing.

Food Prep is another good distraction. Go to the fridge and start cleaning and slicing all your healthy foods. I always munch when I'm eating so I find myself munching on raw veggies.
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    I take the dog for a walk, paint my toenails, clean my teeth, pluck my eyebrows, have a bath, do 20 minutes on the exercise bike, have a cup of fruit tea with sweeteners in, phone a friend for a chat, write a letter to my mum, window shop for my new skinny wardrobe online......it doesn't always work though but 9/10 it does:bigsmile:
  • Kravmaga
    Options
    I'm currently devising a technique that will be my distraction and if it works, then I'll teach it to others

It involves accountability. I want to lose 100lbs by June 21st, which is an huge feat, so i decided to make it public to my friends so if i need help, they will provide it, whether i want it or not.

next, i usually binge at night, so what i'm doing is i'm posting pictures and a video of how I did that day at night on Facebook. This will remind me of how i'm doing and why i'm doing it. Any break of my diet will be embarrassing to announce, but will be done. I'm hoping to start a blog about this to spread this around. I also want to carry around a camera and record what i'm eating throughout the day.

So far day 1 has passed and i'm doing pretty good. tomorrow night i will post another video about how I did today.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    i clean. it's a good distraction. and this sounds a little, ok a LOT OCD... :laugh: ....but i like to re-fold my stacks of clothes in my shelves to look all pretty (i guess years of working retail took their toll). there's something oddly comforting about it.

my go to distraction is to go out for a walk or run. :)