Kettle bell weights

Options
43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
I acquired a kettle bell awhile back, it weighs 8# .. should I obtain
a smaller one to start or is this okay for beginners? I've been used
to strength training already and will be using this with YouTube videos.
Thank you for any recommendations .. I want to begin this soon. :)

Replies

• Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    8Ibs should be OK to start with. Good luck.
    Options
    Thank you microfiber. :)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If you're already used to weight lifting, then triple that should've been fine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBVix24GKG0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Options
    Triple? No kidding .. Idk if my wrists could handle that.
    My weights are a set, not the free weights.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I started off with 8Kg ones... you'll be fine with more weight than 8lbs...
  • mreenis
    mreenis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am a 62 years old female, weigh 136 pounds and weight train regularly. I initially bought a 12kg (approx 26 pound) kettlebell. While this felt heavy the first few times I quickly adjusted to the feel and weight.

I think you will soon out grow the one you have so dont buy smaller save the money for a heavier one which you will soon need.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I started with a 15. Your swinging the weight not exactly lifting it.
  • Drdice
    Drdice Posts: 1
    Options
    Try insanity really works!!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    RKC and Strongfirst recommend that women start with 8kg-12kg bells. That's about 18-26 lbs.

I started with a 12kg bell when I was newly returning to exercise--I was morbidly obese and had only been walking for the past month before I started swinging the 12kg bell. I'm pretty sure your wrists (and the rest of you) will be just fine with a bell that's of sufficient weight.

You might not realise this, but having a bell that is too light will make it very difficult to correctly learn to swing the bell, and you definitely want to master the swing, as it's one of the best KB exercises one can perform.

You need the bell to be heavy enough so that you swing properly, and are swinging with your lower body rather than pulling the bell up with your arms. If the bell is too light, you'll have a harder time learning the movement, just as you would if the bell was far too heavy for you to get it off the ground.

Watch that video that IronSmasher linked to--that's solid info from Tracy Reifkind.
  • EnaNath123
    Options
    I have been swinging KB's over three sessions per week for the past two years. Broken down as two one hour group sessions and one half hour one on one session; to hone technique and form. I started snatching 8Kg and have moved to 12 & 16, with my goal to snatch 24 then 32Kg, also looking at the 40Kg as my Form, Technique and Strength improve. I use the 24 and 32Kg for movements like Squats, Swings, etc. The 4Kgs are for toning the underside of the upper arms and are also handy as a door stop to let the breeze waft in when their is no air moving in a KB Class, apart from what everyone is sucking in for breathing purposes! (My Gym is Old Skool), no air conditioning there. It's all in the TECHNIQUE. KB's are my new addiction. I am Female, 47, 190cm, 76Kg and transforming what fat I still have around my core, calculated to be 22% as of Nov 16 2013 to Muscle, through KB, Cardio (Interval and High and Low Intensity),daily stretching, partaking in the right nutrition, drinking lots of water and being present with my long term goal, to be the best healthy balanced me I can be that includes MFP. :)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Most women can start with 8 kg and then gradually move up. I started with 4 kg personally, but now can use 12 or 16 for most of the exercises. If you use one that's too light for you, you can end up doing the exercises incorrectly (e.g., if it's easy for you to swing it just using your arms, then you won't be engaging your legs and core correctly).
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I just bought a 35 pound one, and I am afraid of needing a heavier one in the next couple of months. :ohwell: I am sure that I can probably just increase my reps for a bit.
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Minor thread jack. Power-systems.com has great prices on kb's and 3-4 times a year, they offer free shipping.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Minor thread jack. Power-systems.com has great prices on kb's and 3-4 times a year, they offer free shipping.

That settles it. Christmas shopping for myself online today! :wink:
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I started with a 10 lb bell - I had never used weights at all prior to this. I quickly moved to a 15, 18 and then 25 lb bell. I had a spine surgery this year so now I'm rehabbing and am back to 10, 15 and 18 lb bells. Good luck. I'm sure that you will see you will progress to heavier bells as you feel more comfortable with the moves.
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I do a kettlebell class twice a week, I think a lot of women stick with one weight for too long i.e. they will always work out with a 4kg or 8 kg kettlebell and never try to move up in weight, I suppose it is each to their own but I firmly believe to keep exercise interesting you need to challenge yourself....

When I started using kettlebells I was very briefly using an 8kg and after about 4 weeks I moved to a 12kg. I have now been using a 16kg for quite a while as I find the 12kg too easy....the 16kg still challenges me but I can do all the exercises with them the instructor asks i.e. I dont have to drop weights to do squat & press or push & press, I can swing or squat and row with a 20kg or 24kg...