Please don't hate me

Options
lol i know there are a million threads just like this but i wanted some input on my own personal plan

i am 5'8 157lb 23 yrs old

i eat 1500 cals a day (sometimes over/sometimes under) and do not enter my exercise minutes into MFP because I have it set on "lightly active"

I have a desk job where I sit for 8 hrs. 5 days a week.

i burn around 2000-2400 cals at the gym every week with things like walking, running, a little lifting, bicycle, elliptical

my question is am i doing enough? i know it takes 3,500 cals burned a week to lose a lb.
and is eating 1500 cals a day too much or too little? Thanks for any input from women with similar stats! :smile:

Replies

• WestCoastWild
    WestCoastWild Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You've already lost 21lbs, so looks like its working :D I think the setting it on lightly active and not putting in exercise calories is an awesome idea. mfp WAY overestimates calories (judging only by my not losing weight when I go with their estimates :) Nice job on your progress so far!
  • soysauce6626
    soysauce6626 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    How do you know you burn 2000-2400 cals in the gym? 2000 calorie burn is very high almost like running for an hour in a half with moderate to high intensity. I think your over estimating you calories burned in the gym.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    How do you know you burn 2000-2400 cals in the gym? 2000 calorie burn is very high almost like running for an hour in a half with moderate to high intensity. I think your over estimating you calories burned in the gym.

2000 calories/week doesn't sound excessive. Per day, sure. 2400 a day, assuming four workouts a week is about 600 a day, which is very doable. That being said, do you track calories burned with an HRM? That will let you know if your weekly numbers work out right.
  • soysauce6626
    soysauce6626 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Lol you're right. I mis read what she posted. I though she said she was burning 2000 cals per exercise session.

2000 calories/week doesn't sound excessive. Per day, sure. 2400 a day, assuming four workouts a week is about 600 a day, which is very doable. That being said, do you track calories burned with an HRM? That will let you know if your weekly numbers work out right.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Yeah poster above made a good point...If you have already lost 21lbs whats the problem? You are obviously on the right track, just keep on keeping on?
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yeah 2000 a week not a day ;)

I wear a HRM at the gym to track it

I know I have lost 21 lb but I thought that when you get smaller it becomes harder to lose weight and I also wondered if I am smaller weight do I need to eat less calories than before?
  • heywithers
    heywithers Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump lol
  • FriscoChet
    FriscoChet Posts: 57
    Options
    Obviously, the less calories you take in, and the more you burn at the Gym should help reduce the weight. But you also have to stay healthy, so be careful. But lets be realistic, you have done great with 21 pounds so far, and you want more and probably are getting a little impatient that you might have hit a patch where you are not loosing as fast as before. Yes, you can modify the exercises you do just in case your body has adjusted to the program you are doing. So with that said you could tweak your caloric intake and your workouts a little, and see what happens (be smart with the tweak). On the other hand, if it is just a cold spell where you are not loosing the weight you want, be patient! This is the time that so many think that all the work they are doing does not count anymore, but trust me, it really is working. Hope this helps some and good luck on your overall goals!

And there, rebump for you! :laugh: