Different Protein Powders- Question

Options
I was at the store looking at different protein powders & found these two that are confusing me

Pure Protein 100% whey protein chocolate
140 calories, 25 protein

Muscle Milk lean protein chocolate
150 calories, 16 protein, lots of vitamins

I'm not sure which one's suppose to be better. Both have about the same calories but one has twice as much protein but not really any vitamins listed, & yet the other has 1/2 the protein, yet has a lot of vitamins listed.

EDIT:
I know everyone has their own preference on brand. I was just using these two as examples. What should I be looking for, higher protein? vitamins? If one has the same amount of calories but less protein with more vitamins does that make it better or worse? Etc.

Replies

• DeterminedToLoseWeight
    Options
    If you want a really good protein I would recommend the shop where I get mine at. I have a local nutriton shop that I get mine from called Nutri Shop. If there is one around you I would highly recommend the protein from there. The brand is VitaSport or Forza Pro. They have really good flavors and is very healthy for you compared to the ones that you can buy in the stores. The website to get the protein from is www.nutrishopusa.com. They also have a lot of other supplements too. Let me know if you need help :)

Melissa
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard. Problem solved.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb Whey Protein

Pure Protein has too much sugar!!!
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're just going to tell me what brand you like to use, please tell me why.
    Other wise it's just like telling me you like Pepsi over Coke and not why you think it's better. =) Thank you!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're just going to tell me what brand you like to use, please tell me why.
    Other wise it's just like telling me you like Pepsi over Coke and not why you think it's better. =) Thank you!

Yes I was wondering the same thing.

I use BodyFortress which is the Walmart brand. It has a good amount of protein for a reasonable number of calories- similar to your first one, with details depending on the flavor- and an excellent price. I am not switching to a more expensive brand unless one of y'all gives me a really good reason.
  • Kayden1986
    Kayden1986 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    do you have PHD in the USA or Optimum Health protein?

the reason I ask is because I use these, they have added beneficial fat burners but not unproven, nor unsafe types. one is an E.Fatty Acid, ones a tea, and one is a amimo acid...
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with kathleennf.

Cookies n' creme and vanilla cream Body Fortress are very tasty and priced reasonably :)
  • AZMonika
    AZMonika Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Its so important to find a protein powder that is as clean as possible. So many of them contain artificial flavors, colors/dyes, processed GMO soy isolate and crap like sucralose. Right now I alternate between two each day. One is a plant-based proteins and the other is whey:

Vega Sport Protein: 130 cal/26 gm protein (http://vegasport.com/product/performance-protein/)

Sprouts Organic Whey Protein: 90 cal/18 protein

Good luck! And read your labels!! :-)
  • BGoodz22
    BGoodz22 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

This man knows! Most popular protein powder in the states atm due to product quality + cost effectiveness per serving!

/ thread over
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i use Six Star Pro Nutrition - Whey Isolate French Vanilla Cream

i get it because it is cheap and per gram it is one of the best bang for your buck giving you 30g of Protein per 33g scoop

it is also low in sugar

when you mix it i into stuff you can definitely taste it but i don't mind it
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Well, the question is - are you looking for a protein supplement or a vitamin supplement? Base your choices off of that. I personally don't buy protein supplements for the vitamin content, I can tell you that much. If I need vitamins I eat fruits and veggies and/or take a multivitamin.
  • ciaokk
    ciaokk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are not all alike. Check out this website for information on how they are different:
    http://www.nutritionexpress.com/article+index/authors/mark+g+taylor+ms/showarticle.aspx?articleid=896
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I take:

- ISO 100 Vanilla Whey Protein
    - Promasil Strawberry

Reason: fits my macros. I count everything. Carbs being the enemy. I'm doing a Ketogenic Diet, so I try to make sure my net carb count stays within 20~30g. A serving of protein shake can have 3~8 average carbs per serving.

But techinally there is a difference in terms of protein powders pureness based on how the the Whey is processed:

Taken from http://www.muscleandstrength.com/expert-guides/whey-protein

Production of Whey Protein
    Whey itself contains whey proteins, lactose, minerals and minute amounts of fats. The production of whey protein from whey itself can proceed via several membrane filtration methods depending on the desired protein content (such as microfiltration, ultrafiltration, etc). (4) After the protein is filtered it is spray dried to give the desired powdered product which may then be utilized by the supplement manufacturer for further modifications like flavoring, coloring, etc.

What Types of Whey Protein are There?
    •Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC)—Produced via ultrafiltration of whey, this refers to whey proteins that contain < 90% protein concentration, but could be as little as 20%. (4) Usually the specific concentrations will be notated following the term “WPC”, such as WPC “85”. The rest of the concentration is made up of lactose, minerals, and fats.

•Whey Protein Isolate (WPI)—May be produced by a variety of membrane filtration techniques, with the goal of reaching >90% protein concentration and removal of most (if not all) lactose. Manufacturers will also often combine filtration with an ion-exchange technique to selectively filter out particles by ionic charge rather than just molecular size. (4)

•Whey Protein Hydrolysates (WPH)—A relatively new technique in whey protein production, whey protein hydrolysates are produced via enzymatic hydrolysis of either WPCs or WPIs. (5) Essentially, this acts as a method of “pre-digesting” the protein by separating (i.e. lysing) peptide bonds; hence the time for digestion and absorption of amino acids will be reduced.

Choosing the Right Whey Protein Supplement for You
    It should be noted that whey protein itself is a food source (technically), but it is still oft referred to as a supplement since the Food and Drug Administration currently does not regulate supplements. Choosing the right whey protein supplement will come down to a few factors including: budget, quality, flavor, lactose tolerability, and intended uses. A list of the different types of whey protein supplements is given below with more information on each so you can decide which suits your needs best:

Pros and cons of whey protein concentrate (WPC)
    WPCs are generally the most economical whey protein supplements and are fairly well tolerated. Depending on the concentration of the powder, WPC can be a great option for individuals on a budget who don't mind a bit more fat and carbohydrate in their whey protein supplement. There will also be a small amount of lactose in most WPCs, so be aware of any intolerances you may have beforehand. The other slight drawbacks to WPCs are that they are less bioavailable than their WPI counterparts and have lower protein concentration.

Pros and cons of whey protein isolate (WPI)
    WPIs are great choices for individuals who are looking for a lactose-free way to increase their protein intake. WPIs are highly bioavilable, easy to digest, very low in fat and carbohydrates, and contain a high (>90%) protein concentration. The main disadvantages to WPIs is they are slightly more expensive then pure WPCs and are sometimes a bit blander in flavor due to the lack of fat and carbohydrate content.

Pros and cons of whey protein blends
    Blended whey protein powders are the most common protein supplements as they aim to create a balance between cost, flavor and protein quality. These blends will vary in cost generally based on what the actual ratio is of whey proteins in the supplements (more whey protein isolate/hydrolysate content will generally increase cost). On the same token, you get what you pay for and more WPI/WPH content means higher bioavailability, less fat/carbohydrates, and often a more efficient anabolic response to resistance training. (8)

The primary drawback to whey protein blends is that they can sometimes be misleading as far as the food label is concerned since they often omit the ratio of WPC:WPI:WPH. You will be able to decipher what their order of abundance is though by simply noting the order they’re listed in (i.e. if WPC is the first ingredient, it is inherently the most abundant protein in the blend).
  • JisatsuHoshi
    Options

This man knows! Most popular protein powder in the states atm due to product quality + cost effectiveness per serving!

/ thread over

Most popular? Quality?? ... I think it's because of marketing... Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard did nothing for me.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    ON... look at and compare ingredients, the first 3. I do this with all packaged foods. I use muscletech/sams club whey (only) because my man buys it. I buy ON casein. I love it.
  • duell55
    duell55 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Go for higher protein content, and lower carb/sugar content. If you want to get vitamins, then a multivitamin and healthy eating is the way to go. This is coming from the school of thought that the point of protein powder is to deliver protein to your recovering muscle cells, not necessarily stock you up on vitamins/minerals. Other things do that better.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    Options
    Go for higher protein content, and lower carb/sugar content. If you want to get vitamins, then a multivitamin and healthy eating is the way to go. This is coming from the school of thought that the point of protein powder is to deliver protein to your recovering muscle cells, not necessarily stock you up on vitamins/minerals. Other things do that better.

^ This
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Vegan Rice Protein
    Since I am sensitive to milk, gluten, and just about everything else, I use NutriBiotic Vegan Rice Protein. I get it on Amazon. Here's the link:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=nutribiotic+protein&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=1707772481&hvpos=1s2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1412992571246430741&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6y32gboo34_b

I might add, the vanilla flavor isn't that great. The brown rice flavor sort of overpowers the vanilla, but I love the chocolate.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love Garden of Life Raw Protein Powder. It is clean ( or at least cleaner than some), contains no whey/ milk products. All vegetable proteins but not exactly vegetarian/vegan. It is just this companies preferred way to offer protein. It has live probiotics and enzymes as a side benefit. I use it of course primarily for the protein. One scoop has 17g protein, 3grams carbs. There are higher protein powders out there. But Garden of Life feels healthier. Not refined, processed, GMO's, and hidden sugars lurking in my drink that I've made to boost my health. It comes in original, chocolate or vanilla. I like the original flavor which does take some getting used to. But now I love it.

My shakes made as follows:

1 scoop Garden of Life original protein powder
    1.5 cup plain, nonfat Fage Greek Yogurt (although I don't mind fats!)
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1 cup ice
    1 cup organic frozen blueberries
    1 tblsp MCT oil
    Mix well in blender. Poor in chilled glass.

So delicious. I find protein shakes really have improved my health and energy level. Love 'Em!

I have tried Optimum Nutrtion Whey Gold Standard and it does the job. But not my preferred powder and will probably never buy it again. There are lots of protein powders to choose from.
  • myiceisonfire
    myiceisonfire Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I thought this too. I'd rather have a protein powder that's high in protein (since in my mind you're buying it for the protein anyway hence the name) & then if I need more vitamins to take a multi-vitamin or get them by eating lots of fruits and vegis.

Thank you all for the advice, it's been very helpful =)