DIY almond milk?!

Options
I recently began using almond milk in my smoothies. After the fact, I started doing some reading about it. (Yes, I should've done it the other way around, I know.) I was surprised to discover that you can make almond milk at home.

This interests me because I have a tight budget. Although I like almond milk, I don't like having to buy two half-gallon cartons nearly every weekend. I think making it at home might save me some dough. .

Have any of you actually made almond milk? How did it turn out compared to store-bought versions? Did it help your wallet at all?

P.S. Can you use the leftover almond meal, too?

Replies

• vicrandom
    vicrandom Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've always been dubious about whether buying a load of almonds would be cheaper than buying the processed milk, so I've never tried it.

But here's an awesome recipe for what to do with the pulp (...awesome enough that I make almond pulp just to eat these), as long as you have someone to share with:

http://yasmeen-healthnut.blogspot.ca/2009/03/almond-stuffed-dates.html
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Yes you can use left over almond meal. You can use all of the "parts" of the almond while making almond milk, nothing has to be tossed.

I've made my own and I liked it. You can sweeten it with dates if you like a sweeter almond milk. A lazy mans way of making it is use raw almond butter and water in a blender.

However, I am not sure if it will be really cost effective to make your own. I guess it depends how much raw almonds are in your area. You don't HAVE to use raw almonds but you will get better nutrients if you do. Almonds are expensive here, raw or not, so making my own wasn't saving any money in the long run. But, it WILL taste better and have less crap in it - ever read the ingredients on almond milk? There are so many added things that aren't needed!
  • GetNew81
    GetNew81 Posts: 26
    Options
    Yes you can use left over almond meal. You can use all of the "parts" of the almond while making almond milk, nothing has to be tossed.

I've made my own and I liked it. You can sweeten it with dates if you like a sweeter almond milk. A lazy mans way of making it is use raw almond butter and water in a blender.

However, I am not sure if it will be really cost effective to make your own. I guess it depends how much raw almonds are in your area. You don't HAVE to use raw almonds but you will get better nutrients if you do. Almonds are expensive here, raw or not, so making my own wasn't saving any money in the long run. But, it WILL taste better and have less crap in it - ever read the ingredients on almond milk? There are so many added things that aren't needed!

I agree about the added ingredients to processed almond milk. That's why I feel naughty for consuming so much of it before researching it. :-/

We have a Whole Foods here and our Drug Emporium has an extensive nutrition section. So I'm pretty sure I could get a hold of some raw almonds. But, like you said, it's gonna cost me a pretty penny.

I guess I'd have to calculate how much I'm spending up front on ingredients versus buying ready-made.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    If its more cost effective to make your own, I would.

Even if it wasn't, but I could afford to, I would make my own occasionally. It is a good amount of work to make, too. I mean, it is easy, but you need the right equipment. "Milking" the nut bag is really a pain, and makes a mess.

Price out raw almonds in your area, make it once or twice, then decide.