Does it count as a cardio workout?

Hey guys! So, my job consists of me walking back and forth for 5 hrs. re shelving books in a big library. I walk at a normal pace not brisk walking or anything. Would it still count as doing cardio or not. Do I log it down for my exercise? Don't know if my question makes much sense but I would appreciate any feed back.

Replies

• femmefae
    femmefae Posts: 65 Member
    Well if it's a normal part of your day then I'd probably say no. I used to work in a library so I definitely get that shelving can be a bit of a work out on extra busy days, but normally I'd just say it's normal activity.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    I agree, by all means walk all you can, it's great for you. But in order to be classified as 'exercise' your heart rate needs to be elevated and stay elevated, it doesn't sound like that is happening.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    No, but you should increase your normal activity level to account for it... at least lightly active.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    What do you have your goals set as? Do you consider yourself sedentary or more active? If you said sedentary, MFP will factor that into your calories, but if you go the next level up MFP will factor that. I would say that if you're on your feet that many hours, you would be the level above sedentary (I think the example they give if waitress). If you already have it set to that, the I wouldn't count it as exercise either.

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • KorkyN
    KorkyN Posts: 2
    No, but you should increase your normal activity level to account for it... at least lightly active.

I agree!
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    What do you have your goals set as? Do you consider yourself sedentary or more active? If you said sedentary, MFP will factor that into your calories, but if you go the next level up MFP will factor that. I would say that if you're on your feet that many hours, you would be the level above sedentary (I think the example they give if waitress). If you already have it set to that, the I wouldn't count it as exercise either.

Hope this helps :flowerforyou:
    this, set your goals to lightly active, and you do NOT count this as exercise:)
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Set your normal daily activity level to Lightly Active and don't log it separately. That's what it's for. :)

ETA a smiley because that sounded a lot more harsh than I meant it to.
  • Scott3600
    Scott3600 Posts: 14
    No it doesn't count i'm afraid. However go into your settings and change your activity level to slightly active if not done so already so you can have a more accurate and healthy calorie goal :)
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    It all depends on how you set your profile. If you change your settings to sedentary, then I would count that as exercise.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Count it as your tdee/lightly active.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Your body is probably used to it, so it doesn't really burn many more calories.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    it's activity, yes. but it's not cardio or exercise.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    I agree with what the others have said. Just make sure your activity level is set correctly and your calorie goal will be based on that. I typically walk 10 miles at work every night. Unfortunately, my body is used to this activity. If I ate all those calories back, I would be able to eat 3200 calories a day. (according to my fitbit) But sadly, this is not the case.
  • I agree that if it's your typical day to walk like that, don't count it. You have to shake things up, and increase movement when you're eating better. If you feel your heart rate going up when you are doing it then perhaps you SHOULD count it. I jog in the pool 90 min every day and can feel my heart pounding....when your heart rate is up, you are burning calories.....Good luck!!

Janine Alfke
  • Bianca_Bee_21
    Bianca_Bee_21 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I have changed my goals accordingly. And yes, I figured it wasn't to be counted, just wanted to make sure. Thanks again. :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member

This.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Fitbit. If you get one you will be able to track how many steps (and hence how much incidental exercise) you are getting.