Frustrated

shnnd19
shnnd19 Posts: 90 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay I probably shouldn't be weighing myself everday, & have been losing each day. Today when I weighed myself it showed that I gained a little back????

Could this be from drinking too much pop & not enough water? Yesterday it showed that I went over my fats & usually I only just count my calorie, but didn't know if that could be part of it.

Any suggestions

Replies

• rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Don't get discouraged over a small gain one day. Weighing yourself every day will show small fluctuations that can sometimes be disheartening, but don't let it get to you.

Yes, drinking too much pop can tip your sodium enough to make your daily weight jump.
  • I understand your frustration. Have experienced the same thing myself. I usually weigh myself every time I go to the gym and it is a bummer when you find you have gained any little bit back. For me, I know I always do better when I drink at least my 8 glasses of water per day plus more. What you ate yesterday can affect today's weigh in especially if it is high in salt (causes water retention) at least for me. A better indicator is comparing this week to last week.
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    My first tip is not to weigh yourself every day - try to weigh in only weekly. Your weigh gain could either be from water or sodium - both of which would show a gain, but will come off quickly.
  • mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    I know they say you should weigh yourself once a week at the same time each week, etc...however I sometimes think that by weighing myself everyday it helps hold me accountable, but you need to expect those ups and downs. It's not likely that you would have gained actual weight overnight, you may have had a little too much sodium and not enough water and so you are retaining a little water...no big deal...don't get frustrated! It sounds like whatever you are doing is working for you! Keep pushing forward!
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    If your soda is caffeinated, that could be your culprit. Remember caffeine dehydrates.

Are you eating your exercise calories or all your calories in general? If you don't for a day or two and then you do, your weight will adjust itself as well.

I weigh every day, too, and I've learned what a lot of the little fluctuation mean and the only weight I really count is my Friday weight. I don't let the "ups" get me down. I just use them to make minor corrections, ie... drink more water.

L
  • thats exactly what happened to me today!!! i was like WTF...and i just started today...i dont understand what happened though. i did everything right...ate 5 small nutritinally healthy meals, and counted my calories...and theres no way i went over 1300 calories, and i worked out too...i did turbo jam fat blaster, and usually i would loose 1 pound overnight with that....i dnt get wat im doign wrong, i drink 1 green tea and water all day xD
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Sometimes during the week I decide to weigh myself just to see the progress. I've found it's normal to fluctuate between 2 pounds. Try to weigh only once a week, because it's going to give you a more consistent number.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    You body's cycle of weight loss/gain does not match our habits of scale weighing. I graphed my scale weight every day for 6 months. With my original "spring" scale, the loss was more steplike--a couple of days at the same weight, then a noticeable drop. When I got a more accurate digital scale, I found the "steps" were more like "arcs"--after a noticeable drop I would almost always go up a little over the next 2 days and then "arc" back down to another low.

If you are going to weigh yourself every day, then you have to have faith in your program and adopt the mindset that you are not going to react to every little movement of the scale--up or down. Just observe and learn to recognize your body's own patterns.

Whenever you decide to weigh, make sure it is under the same conditions.
  • You've got really good replies here shnnd. I only take an official weigh in every other Wednesday when I am at a clients house that has an official Doctor Office Scale. It helps me to have that anticipation, like "what's in the present under the Christmas tree?" That being said, I do peek at my own scales which are way off accurate, just to see where the trend is heading. Don't worry, be happy!
This discussion has been closed.