How long will it take...

Options
mgirard447
mgirard447 Posts: 48 Member
I am around 240 and want to be around 170 for now, and then maybe I will strive for more later. I have started counting calories (1330 a day) and try to work out five times a week. I eat clean most of the time, and sometimes will have the odd chocolate bar or some chips. How long would you guys say it will take me to lose even just 50 pounds?

Replies

• scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    As long as it takes! Not sure how time scales on etc but I think weight loss is a journey and it is about learning what works for you long term!

Good luck with your weight loss :-D
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    a year
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Too many factors to make an accurate estimate. True Metabolism, Age, Gender, Activity level, accuracy of measurement, Weight training, ruts, routines, all factor in. Rather than focusing on how long it will take, aim for regular progress (1-2 lbs per week) and enjoy the progress as you make it. For me, my first goal was 170 lbs... Then 190, then 225, now 215... What I found was due to my weight training, I actually wear the same size clothes (and sometimes smaller sizes) than when I was last 170... Yet, my most recent weight was 228... I don't really worry as much about that number on the scale (other than I never want to be on the north side of 230 in the morning again)... as I do about what I see in the mirror. Best wishes on a successful journey.
  • jimithegreek
    Options
    The key is to lose it slow and gradual. Continue to eat right and exercise. Little by little you'l,l get there...... and you should focus on losing 1lb or so a week. It's impossible to predict how long it will take, but I'd say you can do it in a year. Best of luck to you!
  • janinealfke
    Options
    Hi,

I lost my first 110 lbs in 11 mos, just by eating differently! So I would say at 2 lbs loss a week you should get to your goal around 25 weeks, or 6 mos or so...but that's just a guesstimate...it's different for everyone!!

Best of luck!!

Janine Alfke
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I lost 50lbs in under 3 months but I was on a very strict keto diet. Though I did not add any cardio in until the end of the 1st month. When I did add the cardio I was doing 40 mins daily on the Gazelle Freestyle. I added in weights a few weeks later.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    A minimum of 1 year.

You might realistically look out more than 18 months to two years to ease into your goal.

You can try to press for 2 pounds per week, but its really pretty challenging. Somewhere in there there may also be an unexpected plateau. Not that your body isn't changing but that the weight isn't.
  • mgirard447
    Options
    thanks everyone ! I was thinking a year as well : )
  • cbendorf13
    cbendorf13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It took me 4 months, I gained 10 lbs back over 8 months. I have almost lost those 10 lbs again over 1.5 months. I would say if you monitor your intake and are consistent with exercise you could do it under 6 months. I agree with a previous poster you are eating too few calories. I started at 1200 as per MFP lost 20 lbs in a month then plateaued (started at 219). Took the advice of member helloitsdan http://www.myfitnesspal.com/Helloitsdan
    using information provided in the "In Place of a Road Map"
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/In-Place-of-a-Road-Map-MFP/342385002516919
    I went up to over 2000 calories and continued to lose.
    Logging was the key for me, my weight gain came when I stopped logging
  • mgirard447
    Options
    I lost a bunch of weight after Christmas and it didnt take long... I could see myself being down a considerable amount of weight in 6 months. Thanks for that .. gave me a bit of hope :)
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    it took me about 7 months...... if you figure 2 pounds a week, six or seven months is healthy.
  • Hollypop725
    Options
    It took me a year to go from around 272 to 224 where I'm at now, which is just about 50 pounds. I didn't work out for the first 6 months of that either, so I think like 9-12 months is a pretty good estimate of how long it would take you. :-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!