Whey/protein recommendations?

Options
twikoff
twikoff Posts: 65 Member
Ive had a hard time hitting my protein recommendations without bars/shakes..
Ive been working one of each into my daily diet... i eat the premier protein bars from sam's club, since they seem to give me the most protein vs calories, at a reasonable price....
any recommendations of decent tasting bars with a better than 30g protein / 290 calorie ratio?

also... Ive gone through several different whey options for my shakes... i prefer chocolate or choc/pb... Ive been adding pb2 powder to my choc shakes for the last few weeks.. along with a banana and either chocolate milk or almond milk (depending on where Im at for calories)... I also mix in vanilla shakes with blueberry, blackberry, strawberry, banana combos & almond milk.

Im looking for recommendations for whey powder with a decent protein:calories ratio at a reasonable price.
also, where do you buy yours?

Replies

• lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I like the 100% Whey by Cytosport. It comes in big bags at Costco-- maybe Sam's has something similar? And for bars, I prefer a lower calorie count (under 200 usually) and have a couple that I rotate-- Pure Protein (which has a larger bar), Oh Yeah! and sometimes generic ones from Kroger or Target. Whatever's on sale, basically! I've had Quest bars before and they're really tasty but $$$.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Quest are much better than those bars. Protein and ingredient wise.
  • Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    Check out Myprotein.com

I've been ordering their products over the last year. I used to buy ON and Musclepharm products but then a friend told me about this site.

Great tasting protein, effective and the best thing is the cost. I got three 5k bags and 2 tubs of peanut butter for something like 100? It lasts me a few months.
  • twikoff
    Options

i looked at the quest bars.. and only notice a marginal difference... the ones i found were only 20g protein, and 160cals..
    so this ratio is 8:1, vs 9:1 on the premier bars...
    i dont mind the extra 30 cals, to get 30g protein in a single bar.
  • twikoff
    Options
    Check out Myprotein.com

I've been ordering their products over the last year. I used to buy ON and Musclepharm products but then a friend told me about this site.

Great tasting protein, effective and the best thing is the cost. I got three 5k bags and 2 tubs of peanut butter for something like 100? It lasts me a few months.

looking for options in the US...
  • janinealfke
    Options
    Hi,

Walmart carries Body Fortress whey protein isolate mixes...in chocolate, strawberry and chocolate peanut butter. It's around 13.99 or so for just under 2 lbs. Which is a good sized jug of the stuff. The peanut butter is a very strong peanut butter flavor, with little chocolate in it to me, but it's high protein and low carb and sugar.

Janine Alfke
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

i looked at the quest bars.. and only notice a marginal difference... the ones i found were only 20g protein, and 160cals..
    so this ratio is 8:1, vs 9:1 on the premier bars...
    i dont mind the extra 30 cals, to get 30g protein in a single bar.

Quest doesn't have crappy soy protein in it.

Premier has primarily crappy soy, and a mix of hydro whey (ok) with whey concentrate (inferior)

So while they can claim 30g on the label, the Quest protein is more gooder.

Plus lots of fiber. If you care about that.
  • Kmh45126
    Kmh45126 Posts: 21
    Options
    I like the 100% Whey by Cytosport. It comes in big bags at Costco-- maybe Sam's has something similar?

I second this! Love it
  • twikoff
    Options
    my wife picked up some snickers marathon bars for me to try yesterday...
    280 cals for 21g protein seems pretty high
    and i wasnt particularly impressed with the taste... very dry..
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Forget whey and soy, go for beef protein. Check out MuscleMeds "Carnivor".
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    my wife picked up some snickers marathon bars for me to try yesterday...
    280 cals for 21g protein seems pretty high
    and i wasnt particularly impressed with the taste... very dry..

well it's a candy bar first THEN protein...

what did you really expect.

Milk is a great protein addition- most whey protein is dehydrated milk.

I think I read somewhere milk works out to be roughly 43g per 1 $ and whey works out to be 45 g per 1$... so when milks on sale it isn't even a contest.

That being said- you don't need the fancy stuff- Gold Standard is actually a decent protein- IsoPure is pretty good too.
  • janiner79
    janiner79 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Dymatize ISO 100 Whey protein in chocolate.... Best protein on the market taste wise.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    which tastes better in vanilla..body fortress or pure protein? i eat the protein plus bars once ina while when i'm at work and craving a candy bar... i dont eat them every day..but its better than grabbing a peanut butter cup! The protein plus bars are 20g of protein per bar..not bad!
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Lean active 7 - chocolate cake
    1 scoop is 145 calories, 5g of carbs and 30g of protein. Tastes like cake.
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My personal preference is for protein shots. You can slam them fast, chase them with water, and they do not taste as nasty as some powders. Plus they come pre-mixed.
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress, at Walmart costs around $17 in my area, and is the least expensive one I've seen. It also contains amino acids and I like the taste of both the vanilla and strawberry, but I don't care for the chocolate. My daughter likes the chocolate when she adds a teaspoon or so of cocoa powder to enhance the flavor.
  • twikoff
    Options
    Body Fortress, at Walmart costs around $17 in my area, and is the least expensive one I've seen. It also contains amino acids and I like the taste of both the vanilla and strawberry, but I don't care for the chocolate. My daughter likes the chocolate when she adds a teaspoon or so of cocoa powder to enhance the flavor.
    if you like body fortress, its 11-12$ on amazon... ('clip this coupon' button on the product page for 20% off, and subscribe and save for another 5%.. can immediately kill the subscribe if you want).. free shipping on $25+
  • twikoff
    Options

well it's a candy bar first THEN protein...

what did you really expect.

well yea... being a candy bar first.. i would have expected the high calorie count... that didnt surprise me
    but being a candy bar first... i would have expected it to taste better