I can't do pull ups :(

Options
2»

Replies

• toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

and yes, I do care, and it is important to me. Everyone has different goals and benchmarks they want to accomplish, and thats one of mine

It definitely would be impressive, same thing with a woman doing a classic push-up.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    You could practice assisted pull-ups at the gym until you have enough strength to do them with resistance bands (which is harder -- more of your body weight involved). These things take time. I still can't do more than ONE unassisted. I don't feel like a failure, nor should you. Practice makes perfect -- and strong :-)

This. When I was in the military we had to do at least 7 to pass our fitness test (well the males did girls 4) and in order to do them I had to do pushups lots n lots of pushups then I started using the assisted pull up machine at the gym...in 10 weeks I could do 7.

it takes time and patience but you can do it...that is one of my goals again...to do pulls ups unassisted.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Try doing negatives. Get yourself above the bar (using whatever means necessary) and then slowly lower yourself down (taking two or three seconds to do so). You might feel it afterward, so be warned.

^^^This^^^ It's working for me!!! But as said, you will really feel it afterward, but it will get better.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I think I'd be more surprised if I COULD do a pull-up. There's absolutely nothing in my day to day life that would in any way prepare me for supporting and lifting my entire body weight with just my arms. And apparently I wasn't a monkey in my past life.

I agree with trying a negative pull- up. I feel kinda lame dragging the box over to the bar, but oh well.
  • JenaFernwood
    Options
    In the mean time, please don't be so hard on yourself.

Most women, and probably the majority of men, can't do pull ups. Even when they are in pretty good shape.

Doing pull ups just isn't a way modern people commonly use their muscles -- that's what makes them so difficult.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Although I have been able to do them in the past, I can't now. I do them on my pullup bar with a chair. I can do about 3 this way. I'm sure I'll get there with practice. And you can too! When I first started I could only do 2 classic push ups and now I can do lots, so many that I had to move to harder variations. Just takes practice. Pull-ups are really hard! So don't feel bad!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It has always been a dream of mine to do a pull up. I never understood back in school, how some people could just whip out 20 pullups!!!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It has always been a dream of mine to do a pull up. I never understood back in school, how some people could just whip out 20 pullups!!!

It was always my dream to do a split. I might have to let that one go. :smile: But it would be so cool.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to do ANY sort of pull up before. NOT even with a band so I think you're good :P I just go to gym, do my routines, and once in a while I tried to do a pull up, started seeing improvements.. :) Now I can manage to do one pull up ^^ it might be a slow process but to me it feels great.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Before you start spending or doing anything that might not be as controlled as it should be, like any jumping and catching, try modifying a push up.

You put your hands together on the floor, centred or you'll fall over :) When you dip, your elbows go backwards not out - Google tricep push up, you'll find demos on youtube.

Have fun.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options