Well THAT was discouraging!

Options
2»

Replies

• danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    sometimes it makes a difference when you weigh yourself, at one time of the day you have magically gained 2lbs but weigh yourself later and those 2lbs have magically disappeared and then the following morning you weigh something else. do you have scales that can measure your body fat? if so, i would measure your BF every weekend and i'm sure you will see a steady drop. good luck
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Why go right for the negative? Stay positive, girl! Yes, it may be a tad frustrating that you didn't lose, but there was no gain either. Don't get so hung up on the scale. You will create a vicious monster! :P

Give yourself a very big pat on the back for all the amazing hard work you've been putting into making yourself healthy. Patience is key, and you WILL get there!

Keep up the wicked hard work! I know we will be reading about your success story soon enough!

Stay positive! :flowerforyou:

You're right of course...but after a few weeks of feeling nothing but positive and hanging out to see the results manifested in a stupid number I did feel a little down, it's only human.

Not going to deter me from knocking 'em dead on my 40th though!
  • EmmaOnTrack
    Options
    Relative to many MFPers, you are pretty close to your goal weight. It's going to go slower for you. You're on the right track; give it time. As others noted, when you first start working out, you get some water retention from the sore muscles; that goes away and suddenly you'll see a drop.

If there's any suggestion I would make on what you're doing, it would be to reduce the refined grains--muffins, rolls and the like--and use the calories to amp up your protein.

Good point re: the muffins. To be honest I never, ever eat breakfast (first meal of the day has been after 12:30pm for years) but thought I'd better start so looked up some recipes on here and found that one. It just has oats, banana and peanut butter so I thought it would be a better option than nothing at all.
  • R_Queenie
    R_Queenie Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    The scale is only ONE measure of health / improvement.

Check your measurements as well.

The scale will get there if you stick with it.

Hang in there! "No progress times" happen to the best of us!
  • l0vedim0
    l0vedim0 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged you are just starting out. This is a life time journey we are all on and progress will come in time. I started about a month ago with a starting weight of 215 lbs. After the first week I dropped to 212.8 lbs and at the end of the following week I weighed 218 lbs. Fast forward 2 weeks and I'm at 212 lbs when the week before I was 210. The body fluctuates up and down, at least mine does, and if all goes according to plan my losses are greater than the gain. I know a few guys who have been stuck at the same weight or even gained a couple pounds for an entire month with a very strict diet before their weight starting dropping again. These guys were cutting to 10% BF so its not exactly an apples to apples comparison. The most important thing is that you feel good and healthy. Purchase some calipers or measure specific parts of your body and see if those numbers are going down because what we are all ultimately trying to accomplish is losing FAT. I wish the best for you. Keep your head up and keep working at it the results will come.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Was all amped up to weigh myself at the gym this morning and track the progress of my second week of good eating and lots of working out...and I haven't lost an OUNCE!

Sure, I'm starting to feel fitter and stronger (not to mention incredibly virtuous for staying at or below my calorie allowance for 2 weeks straight)...but why isn't it being reflected on the scales yet?!

Yours in quiet exasperation,

Emma.

Are you jumping in the scale (the same one all the time) without clothing, after using the bathroom, and before you eat and exercise? If not, then expect weight fluctuations or not downward movement of the scale. In addition, two weeks may not be enough time to see a difference in the scale or with the measuring tape.

Keep it up, it will work!
  • knightdwk6
    Options
    Hang in there! Patience really is the key...

I personally started getting discouraged after about 4-weeks when I hit a plateau... I just stopped weighing myself quite so often and kept with the program and it has steadily come off...
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Keep focused on doing the right things and eventually you will reap what you so. I remember several years ago when I started going through a divorce after making some discoveries about my now ex. I worked out hard 6-7 days a week and only lost 3 pounds in 6-8 weeks time. (I wasn't overeating or doing anything unusual.) Then BAM...I lost 17 pounds in 2-3 months.

Do the right things, you'll get the right results because as dad used to say, "Son, time and truth go hand in hand."
  • kkdelduca
    kkdelduca Posts: 73
    Options
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan

Actually just read this article today. It kinda relates to new workouts.
  • mferoli
    mferoli Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this, I have been going through the same thought process. I started by cutting my calories and added exercise a couple weeks later. Now I am 5 weeks into this and I know I have lost 5 pounds, but with so far to go, I feel like it should be more. I am working so hard and eating a hundred times better, it just would have felt good to see a smaller number. I don't plan on becoming a slave to the scale or stuck with a number in my head, I just want to see the needle go down!!
  • EmmaOnTrack
    Options
    The scale is only ONE measure of health / improvement.

Check your measurements as well.

The scale will get there if you stick with it.

Hang in there! "No progress times" happen to the best of us!

Thanks for the support. :smile:
  • EmmaOnTrack
    Options
    Was all amped up to weigh myself at the gym this morning and track the progress of my second week of good eating and lots of working out...and I haven't lost an OUNCE!

Sure, I'm starting to feel fitter and stronger (not to mention incredibly virtuous for staying at or below my calorie allowance for 2 weeks straight)...but why isn't it being reflected on the scales yet?!

Yours in quiet exasperation,

Emma.

Are you jumping in the scale (the same one all the time) without clothing, after using the bathroom, and before you eat and exercise? If not, then expect weight fluctuations or not downward movement of the scale. In addition, two weeks may not be enough time to see a difference in the scale or with the measuring tape.

Keep it up, it will work!

Yes, all conditions exactly the same for my weekly weigh in (use the gym scales just before my Sunday morning yoga/Pilates class)...which is why I was REALLY expecting to see some movement. Didn't go up though, so I guess I should count myself lucky.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this, I have been going through the same thought process. I started by cutting my calories and added exercise a couple weeks later. Now I am 5 weeks into this and I know I have lost 5 pounds, but with so far to go, I feel like it should be more. I am working so hard and eating a hundred times better, it just would have felt good to see a smaller number. I don't plan on becoming a slave to the scale or stuck with a number in my head, I just want to see the needle go down!!

From all accounts 1lb a week is healthy weightloss (I wouldn't know though...I haven't achieved it yet!), so you deserve congratulations! I think we probably both need to step away from the scale for a while (although doing that for the last 4 years is how I got myself here in the first place).

All the best on your journey.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Why worry about weight loss. Just concentrate on what you're doing and over time you will see the changes your body is making by the mirror or tape measure.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    Options
    Why worry about weight loss. Just concentrate on what you're doing and over time you will see the changes your body is making by the mirror or tape measure.

I guess it's only natural to be a bit focused on weight loss when you commence a weightloss journey. :wink:

Definitely need to work on my expectations and method of measuring success though.

Early days yet.
  • Rilzy
    Rilzy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've so far gained two pounds in the two weeks I've been eating healthily and exercising. I've started doing measurements though and there's been a change, also I can see that I've lost weight. So, I've decided to chuck this scale centric mentality. I will next measure myself on the 19th of August and that will also be the next time I step on the scale. The scale has been the reason I've quit so many times before and I've decide to stop letting it get to me.
  • babol23
    babol23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, for the last month I have stayed at the same weight, eating better ramped up exercise, yet nothing on the scale. But I must say I feel much better and have lost some inches around the middle. Can't let the scale get you down.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    The scales.....I weigh exactly the same in both of these pictures. Dont let scale weight get you down.

7db4b689-26ed-4e19-bf28-56f9309e966b_zps8de298b7.jpg
  • EmmaOnTrack
    Options
    I've so far gained two pounds in the two weeks I've been eating healthily and exercising. I've started doing measurements though and there's been a change, also I can see that I've lost weight. So, I've decided to chuck this scale centric mentality. I will next measure myself on the 19th of August and that will also be the next time I step on the scale. The scale has been the reason I've quit so many times before and I've decide to stop letting it get to me.

Brilliant post - thank you.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    Options
    The scales.....I weigh exactly the same in both of these pictures. Dont let scale weight get you down.

7db4b689-26ed-4e19-bf28-56f9309e966b_zps8de298b7.jpg

Sold. Thank you so much for posting that - pictures speak 1000 words and your say exactly what I needed to hear.