Why do you do it?

Options

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Well they go hand in hand so who cares, you get benefits all round : )
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    This question was asked in Chit Chat this past week, but was more of a "fun answers" type thread.

For me, there are several reasons. Probably the most important factor is my health. I let my weight get out of control for almost a decade and I am sure that a year ago I was nearing or at a pre-diabetic stage. I work outside in high heat conditions and it was becoming intolerable, even climbing a ladder was a chore.

Another reason was my mental state. I was hating myself for what i had become and self-loathing permiated much of my self-esteem. I felt disgusting, increasingly helpless, and completely unattractive. Taking control of my health and fitness has helped me make great improvements on that front, teaching me to love who I am and look forward to who I am becoming.

And, of course, there is the vanity factor. I am a passable looking guy and I want to have a great body to increase my attractiveness to others. I want the confidence that shines from people with excellent physiques and to be able to attract someone with my looks, then completely blow them away with my personality. I want to be the full package.

Teehee...package.

Lastly, I want to see what I am capable of, mentally and physically. How far can I push myself, how strong can I be, how far can I run, how much pain can I handle? I want to find my limits and then tear them down and exceed my limitations in all things.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    For me its about how I feel. I got sick of being out of breath just walking up more than a flight of stairs or a small hill, I got sick of finding excuses not to do stuff that I used to enjoy, I got sick of not being able to do things I used to do properly like kayaking. I have a long way to go and am already doing weights as I want muscle definition when my muscles peak through the fat! To be fitter I need to be lighter so a healthier diet and eating at a calorie deficit is required. Better health and looking better are obviously big side benefits though!
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Health definitely!! I was a wreck headed for a heart attack, stroke or diabetic complications. And at 60 there is only so much better I can look...LOL
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    At first I thought I wanted to be a ripped guy like you see in the magazines because then the ladies would flock to me.

Then I realised that it's really much more about your personality, confidence, and how you can make a person feel that makes them what to get to know you.

Now I'm lifting weights, gaining strength and dropping fat because I just love the process. That young man's dream of being a fawkin huge joocy c*** is still in my mind and I love it.

But there is NO DOUBT that the better you look, the better shape you get in.. The better people treat you. There is no getting around this. Those who are wanting to lose weight, trust me, you won't believe what it's like when people treat YOU like a different YOU.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I gained ~25-30 lbs since getting married. I'm doing this for a multitude of reasons

1. I have a closet full of clothes that used to fit. I'd like to wear them again.
    2. I have a Chinese relative who told me just how fat I'd gotten. (This is pretty prevalent in Chinese culture, but hard to take if you're "gwai-lo" like I am.
    3. I'd like my husband to think I'm attractive.
    4. I'm an EMT. I have to lean and reach over people in an area the size of my dining room table. The less of me I have to move, the more room my patients, colleagues, and I have.
    5. I like being the one who isn't obese, hypertensive or managing weight-related diabetes at family events. (Most of my relatives are overweight - obese and one relative is morbidly obese. I look "frail" in comparison at 170lbs at 5'7")
  • razzle29
    razzle29 Posts: 9
    Options
    I think my biggest reason is to not be ignored anymore.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My mother has Type 1 and it has led to hypertension, kidney disease and finally vascular dementia. so it's really bad. i'm going low carb because I am more concerned with avoiding metabolic syndrome than anything else. i'm married, so my wife is stuck with me no matter what I look like but I don't want her to be stuck with an invalid. also, I rate my human capital pretty highly and the idea of being unable to work, take care of myself or rely on a social welfare system that is bankrupt is unappealing. I figure once social security and medicare fail, we'll all need to realize that we need to keep working until we're dead. those who cannot do this will be quickly rationalized by the coming 'death panels' of socialized medicine. so staying healthy and strong is really the only insurance we have. Also, low carb diets are your best therapy for avoiding cancer.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Because I deserve to love the way I look.

Because I want my approaching 30's to be so much more phenomenal than my 20s.

Because I gave the last 11 years to my children and put myself last. Now that they're a tiny bit older, I can invest more in myself.

Because there's a tiny voice in my head who tells me I can't. I'm sick of that voice and the only way I know to shut it off is to prove it wrong.

Because a patient at work asked me if I was having a boy or girl. And I'm not pregnant.

Because I like breaking necks ;)
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The first 50 pounds was for health. At that point I could walk 20 miles, stretch my quads standing up without supporting myself with something, my RHR was 53 bpm (so hard to measure that), and my 1-minute heart recovery rate was about 20 bpm.

The rest is for physique, although I am experimenting to see if any of my issues are weight-related (doubtful, but if I have popping abs I won't believe doctors are fobbing me off because they think obesity is the cause of everything).

Actually, knowing more about my body is up there too.
  • Senneth12
    Senneth12 Posts: 72
    Options
    It's about health.

I need to stay at my current healthy weight, because excess pounds are hard on bad joints.

I need to build as much muscle as possible to make up for my defective ligaments and tendons.

I have enough health problems I can't avoid- I'd rather not add any more.
  • HappyClementine
    HappyClementine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have always been fat. I just want to be thin for the first time in my life :)
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Today I was in-line at Subway and there was this younger woman infront of me with this killer, toned body. I probably
    was foaming at the mouth but she was patient and answered my questions. She had been doing stronglifts 5x5 for quite some
    time, at the end of our convo I decided that I was going to give it a shot. Surprisingly, she came with me and helped me pick out
    some weights and nick named me a "she-hulk in disguise" lol.

Losing the weight would be for my health, lifting for me is 100% vanity :P

Great story! :smile:

It's mostly about health for me, but a little about looks. I feel better right now than I have in a long, long time. I also feel better about how I look than I think I have ever. It's helping me with a lot of my mental stuff, I think.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I got out of breath with the missus in bed, I was wheezing and it was terrible and I've never felt so low or embarrassed before in my entire life. Was that night I realised I had let myself down, Let my missus down and came to the realisation of just how fat and lazy I had become.

Happy to report that it's no longer me who get's out of breath now in the bedroom lol.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    For me, it was mostly fitness and health. I wasn't exactly UNhealthy to start with, but I wanted to be able to run a 5k and couldn't.

I didn't think I would lose weight. When that started happening, then it became more about how I looked.
  • Hearndt
    Hearndt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I gained a ton of weight during my pregnancy (and was already at my heaviest-145ish prior). I hated the size 16's and larges I was forced to buy so it started out as vanity. Now that I've reached my goal weight I've started to set fitness goals for myself (completed 6w6p for the sake of vanity and am about to start C25K for the sake of a good challenge). At this point it's just about seeing how far I can go (fitness wise) and what I can accomplish when I set my mind to it.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    #1 - Vanity
    #2 - Mental heath
    #3 - Physical health (current & future)
  • LivvieO
    LivvieO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For me its a combination of things.

1) how I look in my clothes
    2) its too darn expensive to keep buying new clothes to fit that ever expanding waist and hip
    3) the feeling of satisfaction when I look in the mirror and see the changes in my body
    4) current and future health...my mom has type 1 diabetes so I'm hoping to avoid that curse
    5) most importantly, to serve as an inspiration for my 13 year old twin girls to show them that ANYTHING can be done if they put their minds to it. Hopefully they will be motivated by my effort and results.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a correlation in my life between the times I was fit and strong and the times I was happy.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    For me it was pure vanity. Although I am enjoying feeling better!