24 calorie per slice CAKE??

Options
jktin08
jktin08 Posts: 62 Member
Does not include frosting but, yes it is true! Cake mix, Greek Yogurt and water make it possible. Super easy and super YUMMY!

I made a vanilla Funfetti cake sheet cake. Mmmmm, came out so moist and tasty!

Got this recipe from here: http://jennyrambles.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/really-pinterest-cake-mix-and-greek-yogurt/

Greek Yogurt and Boxed Cake Mix

◾One box supermoist cake mix, any flavor (Recipe listed uses Betty Crocker Super Moist Chocolate Fudge)
◾One cup (8oz) of greek yogurt of the same or compatible flavor (please note that a single serving container is NOT a cup)
◾One cup of water

1.Mix yogurt and water together. Stir in cake mix till combined. Note: Batter WILL be very thick.
2.Bake according to package directions BUT SUBTRACT 5-10 MINUTES FROM COOKING TIME. Check you cake after allotted time and allow to bake more if necessary.

*Note- Not much of an issue to me but I did notice the cake does not rise as much as normal. But it still does rise a lot and is still moist and delicious. For more height, the recipe suggest making the cake multilayered.

According to listed recipe,for 1/16 of the cake without frosting: 24.4 calories, less than 1 gram fat, 24 grams sodium, 3g carbs,1.6g Protien, 0.1 fiber,1.9g sugars, 15mg potassium

Enjoy :D

Replies

• irisvascos
    irisvascos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump for now Will try this. Thanks
  • KatieCooks8
    KatieCooks8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    How can it be 24 cal for 1/16 of recipe be possible, when the dry mix of a whole box of Betty Crocker cake mix is 1600 cals according to the nutritional info on the box???
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    is greek yogurt one of those negative calorie foods?
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a really tiny slice of cake.
  • CLL1001
    CLL1001 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How can it be 24 cal for 1/16 of recipe be possible, when the dry mix of a whole box of Betty Crocker cake mix is 1600 cals according to the nutritional info on the box???

Is it 1600 based on the cake prepared as directed on the box or just the dry ingredients?
  • susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This was in the comment section:

Making this tonight, can’t wait to see how it comes out! The big test will be if my boyfriend’s kids like it lol!
    One thing…I think your calorie count is a little off….MFP says it’s 108 calories for my recipe. Are you sure you calculated for the whole box and not just one serving?
    I just realized my comment may be a little confusing, lol. MFP tells me the recipe is 108 calories for 1/16 of the cake, not for the whole cake. It came up as 18 calories when I only put 1/10 of the cake mix in for the whole recipe, instead of the whole box.

108 calories isn't bad though. I think I might try it anyway.
  • jack_yve
    jack_yve Posts: 35
    Options

I'd luv to make it, so I'd like to know this one too...especially because a container of Greek yogurt is approx. 100 calories for 170 grams or 3/4 cup, so a full cup will be more grams and more calories right? 1 cup=225 grams = 133 calories? divide by 1/16th and you have 8 calories just for the yogurt? OK, that's actually not that bad but how do you get only 16 calories from the cake mix? and what about the cake pan "Crisco" layer?

~~Yve
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You to figure that again! 24 calories covers 6 grams of carbs - so 24 calories is very unlikely. There are NO negative calorie foods.
  • KatieCooks8
    KatieCooks8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1600 calories is for the dry mix in the box only, not the prepared product according to the instructions of the box!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options

not
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    1600 calories is for the dry mix in the box only, not the prepared product according to the instructions of the box!
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    u defineTLY GOT THE CALORIES WRONG
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    1 cup of FAGE 0%= 120
    Boxed Cake Mix= 1600
    Total= 1720
    % 16 = 107.5
    Yeah, I think the 24 calorie per serving was a little off....
    Still not bad for cake though.
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    why bother, if you can not even see the slice. I bet the cake crumbs stuck on the knife are more than 25 cal
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    1 cup of FAGE 0%= 120
    Boxed Cake Mix= 1600
    Total= 1720
    % 16 = 107.5
    Yeah, I think the 24 calorie per serving was a little off....
    Still not bad for cake though.
    NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO cake is 24 cals
  • melindasuefritz
    Options
    You to figure that again! 24 calories covers 6 grams of carbs - so 24 calories is very unlikely. There are NO negative calorie foods.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I just made something similar and it def wasn't 24 calories. I used a mashed banana instead of yogurt. Cake tastes like cake and raised just fine. I didn't make the whole batch only 12 cupcakes and it worked out to be 96 calories each.
  • SusanDugas
    SusanDugas Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Also no real need to use Greek Yogurt in this, for those who do want to try it... Greek Yogurt loses a lot of its' potential benefits when heated above 120 degrees. It may still have a little boost of protein over regular yogurt, but the live cultures won't survive.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Wish I had seen this yesterday. :embarassed: