Advice on low-carb 'ratios' please?

Options
glypta
glypta Posts: 440 Member
Hi all,

I'm doing Dukan (high protein/low carb - Atkins but less emphasis on fat) and I just wondered what would be best to set my intake as, and why. It's currently 65% protein, 25% carb, 15% fat. I've read that below 50g carb is uber-loss, and between 50 and 100g is 'effortless' which range I am in when I'm doing an 'alternate' (i.e. protein & veg) day (and if I have a little too much sugar-free gum!).

I've read from low-carbers and the Paleo threads that fat is good, which of course flies in the face of standard recommendations (as does low carb, I suppose) and so I wonder what the real story is, in terms of fat intake? I always seem to be going over, though haven't worried too much because of the low-carb/Paleo threads, but could someone clarify this for my big dumb brain please?

Thanks all!

Anna
x

Replies

• imdenyse
    imdenyse Posts: 2
    Options
    Anna, no replies to your post? Have you found out any other information? I'm trying to find the same information. I'm going to friend you, if you don't mind. Maybe we can share info???

Denyse
  • Frylok81
    Frylok81 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do the Keto diet and right now My ratios are 60/25/5 (fat/protein/carbs)...I try to keep my carbs under 30g a day except for loading days then I eat a LOT to replenish the fact that my body has been denied carb based energy.

Rule of thumb is this: Fat is not your enemy so long as carbs are not consumed in large amount. This will trick your body into using whatever is available for energy rather than carbs. So once your body switches over it actually starts using fat as fuel rather than carbs as in a normal diet. The positives to this is the fact that carbs spike blood insulin even in normal people and that can cause your body to store ACTUAL fat because the body stores it longer rather than burning it right away...Just make sure you drink a ton of water to make sure your kidneys stay healthy and a high fat/protein diet is a great way to lose weight.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    70% fats-25% protein- 5% carbs is the suggested ratio for healthy Atkins Dieters. You need calories and fats are less likely to cause you to gain then protein. So as you lower your carbs you will naturally raise either proteins or fats. Protein is metabolized as glycogen in the absence of fat to burn as fuel. It makes your insulin spike. The idea of low carbing is to minimize insulin spikes.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I am not a low carb advocate in general, I'll be straight up with that. I have nothing against those who do though. But here's the thing. Low carb is not a diet, you shouldn't be thinking "low carb" to lose weight, low carb is a lifestyle choice. And by that I mean, it's something you should chose for a permanent change, not a temporary weight loss change. Yes, there are some advantages to low carb, but you don't lose extra weight on low carb, not long term. You lose more at the beginning simply because your body moves from a glucose burning engine to a ketone burning engine, which means reduced water in your system, and that means anywhere from 5 to 20 lbs weight loss in a very short period, but after that initial water loss, the rate of loss is about the same as any other healthy, reduced calorie program.

So what are good reasons to go low carb?
    -Allergies to certain foods (gluten, grains...etc.)
    -certain metabolic conditions and diseases (for instance, diabetes, celiac's disease...etc.)
    -gastro-intestinal conditions that preclude carbohydrate digestion.
    -blood sugar issues
    -cholesterol problems
    -psychological addictions to carbohydrates (addictive personalities)

reasons not to go low carb?
    -faster long term weight loss
    -fat loss (over other nutrition programs)
    -"leaning up"
    -if you're a "explosive athlete" I.E. someone who works very hard in their routines (glycogen depletion issues)

possible positive outcomes from low carb
    -cholesterol and triglyceride benefits
    -lower insulin levels, and more stable blood sugar
    -better control over certain metabolic conditions
    -breaking of a psychological addiction to carbs (there's no such thing as being physically addicted to carbs, no matter what anyone says)

possible negative outcomes of low carb
    -increased stress on kidneys and liver (if you have a (family) history of kidney or liver conditions, be wary)
    -gall stones
    -severe dehydration (can be extremely dangerous as it can be mistaken for hunger symptoms)
    -difficulty in adherence (you are very limited in your food choices)

so what does this all mean? It means that there's nothing wrong with low carb (ketogenic diets), but make sure you do your research, and make sure, before you choose it, you know the seriousness of the choice you are making.

regards,

-Banks
  • RyeLite
    RyeLite Posts: 17
    Options
    50 Protien 30 Fat 20 Carb....Your brain is made up of fats, so they are def important. Peanut Oil, Eggs, Almonds, Peanut Butter, Olive Oil....Even Mayo isnt 1/2 bad...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm doing Dukan (high protein/low carb - Atkins but less emphasis on fat) and I just wondered what would be best to set my intake as, and why. It's currently 65% protein, 25% carb, 15% fat. I've read that below 50g carb is uber-loss, and between 50 and 100g is 'effortless' which range I am in when I'm doing an 'alternate' (i.e. protein & veg) day (and if I have a little too much sugar-free gum!).

I've read from low-carbers and the Paleo threads that fat is good, which of course flies in the face of standard recommendations (as does low carb, I suppose) and so I wonder what the real story is, in terms of fat intake? I always seem to be going over, though haven't worried too much because of the low-carb/Paleo threads, but could someone clarify this for my big dumb brain please?

Thanks all!

Anna
    x

Your fat should be higher. You don't really want your body burning protein as it's energy source. Keep your carbs 15% to 20% and then adjust the other two macro nutrients to your liking. I'm trying to drop body fat over the summer right now and I"m at 45/40/15 (Fat/Prot/Carbs).

I personally try to eat lean meats and eggs and then supplement with Olive Oil for most of my fat calories and Olive Oil is a good source of good fat.

Can't believe I"m quoting this website but here it is, http://stronglifts.com/anabolic-diet-101-the-definite-anabolic-diet-guide/
    That is the Anabolic Diet. It's a way more effective diet plan thatn Atkins. Atkins suggests that you can each how much of whatever you want as long as your carbs are in check. That's been found to not be true and the Anabolic Diet is a much more refined version.

Another reference, http://www.everydiet.org/diet/anabolic-diet
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    All I know is, IF you have a calorie deficit, then the more fat in your diet the more bodyfat you'll burn. With high levels of fat flowing round your system and low levels of other options (glucose from protien or carbs) your cells will (apart from ones which absolutely can't) use the fat for fuel, which will encourage the release of more fat from fat cells etc.

Trying to go low carb AND low fat is a recipie for getting energy from glycogenesis from protien (breaking protien down to glucose) which at a calorie deficit is likely to mean you draw on your muscles for energy.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies - I was feeling very unloved :cry: I'll check out that site when I have more time later. I thought I was doing a 'good' version - I guess the 'fear of fat' has stuck with me! I'm just loving this way at the moment as I'm not constantly wanting 'more' bread or whatever, and I'm never hungry.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Thank you for your replies - I was feeling very unloved :cry: I'll check out that site when I have more time later. I thought I was doing a 'good' version - I guess the 'fear of fat' has stuck with me! I'm just loving this way at the moment as I'm not constantly wanting 'more' bread or whatever, and I'm never hungry.

Don't feel bad, it's not just you. All of the bad information from the 80's/90's made everybody think that fat makes you fat and that's just not the case. :)
  • imdenyse
    imdenyse Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies to her question..... I think I'm doing more of the Anabolic plan because my ratios are in that range. I am trying to eat high protein, low carb and moderate amounts of fat while still watching calories. So far so good. Water is VERY important. While weight loss might be the same long term and overall, I have found that the low carb thing is easier to SEE on your body, the results are VERY dramatic and it for sure is a lifestyle state of mind, not a diet.

Great to know I can come here for advice and input! :flowerforyou:
  • JNick77
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies to her question..... I think I'm doing more of the Anabolic plan because my ratios are in that range. I am trying to eat high protein, low carb and moderate amounts of fat while still watching calories. So far so good. Water is VERY important. While weight loss might be the same long term and overall, I have found that the low carb thing is easier to SEE on your body, the results are VERY dramatic and it for sure is a lifestyle state of mind, not a diet.

Great to know I can come here for advice and input! :flowerforyou:

Not just that, but there are carb-up days which help to replenish your energy and also keep things in perspective for you withoug getting discouraged. Before I would just eat junk if I felt like it but now I just cheat a little on the weekend but I really love it, it's more meaningful now.
  • Balsaboy
    Balsaboy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm nearly finished reading Gary Taubes book Good Calories, Bad Calories and I find my whole perspective on the low carb high fat/protein diet has changed (in favour of it). I'd recommend the book to anyone who wants to know more about the science of and bias against low carb eating. His chapter on why our current nutritional guidelines are what they are -- ie. high calorie and anti fat consumption was eye opening. The western diet is so amazingly refined carb heavy with white flour, easily digested starches and sugars which cause the body to spike insulin and store fat. I can't recommend this book enough, especially to anyone who thinks that eating low carbs/high fat/high protein is an unhealthy fad (much like myself in fact before reading this book).
  • Sproutlady135
    Options
    Peanut butter such as Jiff has sugar. Some brands list sugar as the second ingredient. I don't eat it for that reason. As far as fats go, I stay with the healthier fats. Thanks for asking about the ratio's because I was searching for the same info.
  • indrokslis
    indrokslis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I recommend you read 'Escape the Diet trap' by Dr John Briffa. The book promotes low carb diet and explains how the food you consume affects your weight and general well being. It splits out effects of Carbs, protein and fat; i think it will be quite clear why a sensible amount of fat is not bad for you.

I have been on low carb diet for 2 months (also excluding foods i am intolerant to, not going to gym) and lost 10 kilograms since. also feel much more energized.

Hope this helps,

thanks,
    Indy