Confessions of a Nutritionist in Training

Options
Hello everyone, I want to start by saying I'm currently a student of Dietetic Technology, and I have two weeks left of my internship! You see, I have been an intern for a year now, and I'm excited to work for actual money. First, I will need to pass the state exam to become registered.

I have always been interested in nutrition and now I'm completely in love with it. I now believe more than ever that we all need to make nutrition a priority. I know there is a ton of information floating around, so what should you believe? I will tell you what I think is a great start...

First, I really want this post to be about empowering women. Lets face it, our basic instinct is to nurture. We take the time out day after day to take care of everyone else's needs. We wear more hats than Nicki Minaj on American Idol. We work hard to meet everyone else's needs. My question for you is this? When was the last time you have done something for yourself? I know many of us on MFP are trying to improve our health. We are eating to nourish our bodies, and we are exercising to be fit and strong not just skinny.

However, a vast majority of women today do not. It is time for women to learn how to say no. It is time for women to become a priority. It is time we realized that it is okay to help others, but we need to help ourselves first! It is time we start taking care of ourselves so we are better able to take care of others.

I want to ask you, who is taking care of you?

Now, back to what you should believe. I think you should believe in yourself. You will succeed if you truly believe it. I think we need to forget bad foods and good foods. Yes, we need to eat nutrient dense food, but when you call certain foods bad your giving food power. If you want a brownie, have a brownie but balance out your day. The bottom line is, food is just food. We eat food because we enjoy it, so lets enjoy food in moderation.

Thanks for reading

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Food is not just food. Some is more nutritious than others. There is no RDA for carbs and brownies are not necessary for life.
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    I think what I was saying went right over your head. Sorry you misunderstood. Further, I never said there was no RDA for carbs or did I mention anything about carbs. Actually, 50% of your calories should come from carbs. Look it up. Nor did I say anything about brownies being necessary for life, and I was using that as an example. Of course some food is more nutritious than others, but many of us eat food because we enjoy it not just for the vitamins and nutrients they provide. Thanks for totally missing the whole point here.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    May I ask what your thoughts are concerning food addictions? I personally find that if I eat a brownie that I cannot stop at one...it starts a whole downward cycle. I have to NEVER eat a brownie to be OK. There are certain foods that are triggers for me and start up a really bad cycle.

So, I am honestly asking ( no sarcasm, no malice) what are your thoughts? I have considered joining OA as I think I have a really unhealthy relationship to food.

I DO agree that as women, we are really hard on ourselves. Most of my self talk is negative and disrespectful. I am quick to encourage anyone but myself.

Thanks for the post!

D
  • Shanzstar
    Options
    Hi DeeDee, in my opinion, I do believe that the whole "bad" food and "Good" food thing can set some people up to fail. I try to incorporate chocolate into my daily diet everyday, because I love it. We get in trouble when we deprive ourselves.

However, I do believe that food addictions are real and people do suffer from them. When my husband brings home Oreo's they go straight to the basement. That way they are out of reach.

I have heard wonderful things about OA and I had a chance to meet some members at conference recently. That would be a great tool for you. I believe they are also free! Also, registered dietitians are trained to help in these situations as well.

I hope you can find away to change the negative thoughts into positives. Good luck!
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    I gave up brownies, cookies and all other processed, refined sugary treats because I want to eat to live not live to eat.

No more empty calories for me. Life is too short and I've missed out on too much to go back to thinking calorie dense vs nutrient dense foods are okay for me. Maybe some people can handle an occasional sweet treat but I'm not one of them. Fruit is my sweet treat.
  • Shanzstar
    Options
    I gave up brownies, cookies and all other processed, refined sugary treats because I want to eat to live not live to eat.

No more empty calories for me. Life is too short and I've missed out on too much to go back to thinking calorie dense vs nutrient dense foods are okay for me. Maybe some people can handle an occasional sweet treat but I'm not one of them. Fruit is my sweet treat.

I understand where you're coming from. Just to be sure, I'm not advocating that people indulge in calorie dense foods all the time. All I'm saying is moderation. For example, what do you do at holidays, birthdays, special occasions, work events. Honestly, I rarely buy cookies, brownies, chips or whatever. I eat a healthy diet and I crave the foods I eat. I realize moderation is easier said than done.
    However, I refuse to feel guilty if I eat a bag of chips with my subway sandwich or I decide to have a cookie after dinner. I refuse to give my food control over me. It's just food.
    I hope this makes sense. Thanks for posting your thoughts. I appreciate your comments, and I wish you well on your journey!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah. As far as I am concerned food IS food.

Granted, for the most part I eat "clean" and try to stay away of unhealthy and or processed food. But I am not going to demonize or deny myself a pop tart or a brownie if I want one either.
  • Shanzstar
    Options

Granted, for the most part I eat "clean" and try to stay away of unhealthy and or processed food. But I am not going to demonize or deny myself a pop tart or a brownie if I want one either.

Yes!! I was starting to think I was the only one! :) Good for you!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Is this sexist and condescending, or am I reading it wrong?
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,627 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post! I feel what you're saying :)
  • Shanzstar
    Options
    LOL, I think you mean the post title hot or not...
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Totally agree with the above and what you are trying to get across Shanzstar.

I just had potato gnocchi in a cream garlic, chicken and mushroom sauce followed by choc/hazelnut gelato for lunch today and loved every minute of it! I will however balance out the rest of the day so that it fits in my goals. I will say that over the years I was almost always on a low fat diet...very low fat and low calorie and will never do that again. Sad to restrict things unless of course you are allergic or addicted I guess but you can get over food addictions and go back to eating it normally. I was addicted to sweets a couple of times and am fine to eat or not eat them now as I want.
  • Shanzstar
    Options

It is.

The idea that food is food is one thing I've been saying for a while now. It's not a new idea. There is no such thing as good food and bad food. Food isn't capable of having those qualities. Those are human constructs. And, they are poor constructs based on myths.

Yes exactly! You nailed it on the head :) ... Although, I seriously have no idea how this is sexist or condescending... I must be missing something.
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Totally agree that food IS just food. It's not anything magical or threatening. It is just food. Some food sustains my body, some food sustains my mind and some food does nothing but taste good. But it's just food.

I have lost 64kg (141 lbs) by eating out at restaurants that do not have nutritional information available at least once (sometimes twice) a week for the whole time I've been on mfp. I've made sure I have cheesecake at least once a month, chocolate every day, deep fried foods at least once a fortnight...all because I refuse to let food control me any more.

I had a cr*p relationship with food and cooking (thanks to a lifetime of cr*p teaching from my family, from society, from myself) and it wasn't until I really got serious about it and spoke with my dietician/nutritionist and my partner to work out all the psychological bulldust I held onto that I really got my relationship with food, and ultimately myself, correct.

In the past when I tried to lose weight, I followed diet plans religiously which were highly restrictive...and I always fell off the wagon when I "cracked" and had something that wasn't allowed and I then convinced myself that I'd stuffed up and threw it all out the window.

It IS time to nurture ourselves. It IS time for us to put ourselves first, women, men, intersex people, everyone!

(NB: For those who feel the post is sexist because the OP only mentions women, feel free to substitute the word for whatever gender identity you wish. I find it extremely refreshing to read a post where the female pronoun is put to the fore, rather than the usual male identity and pronoun that we read almost every day without batting an eyelid).
  • Shanzstar
    Options
    Totally agree that food IS just food. It's not anything magical or threatening. It is just food. Some food sustains my body, some food sustains my mind and some food does nothing but taste good. But it's just food.

I have lost 64kg (141 lbs) by eating out at restaurants that do not have nutritional information available at least once (sometimes twice) a week for the whole time I've been on mfp. I've made sure I have cheesecake at least once a month, chocolate every day, deep fried foods at least once a fortnight...all because I refuse to let food control me any more.

I had a cr*p relationship with food and cooking (thanks to a lifetime of cr*p teaching from my family, from society, from myself) and it wasn't until I really got serious about it and spoke with my dietician/nutritionist and my partner to work out all the psychological bulldust I held onto that I really got my relationship with food, and ultimately myself, correct.

In the past when I tried to lose weight, I followed diet plans religiously which were highly restrictive...and I always fell off the wagon when I "cracked" and had something that wasn't allowed and I then convinced myself that I'd stuffed up and threw it all out the window.

It IS time to nurture ourselves. It IS time for us to put ourselves first, women, men, intersex people, everyone!

(NB: For those who feel the post is sexist because the OP only mentions women, feel free to substitute the word for whatever gender identity you wish. I find it extremely refreshing to read a post where the female pronoun is put to the fore, rather than the usual male identity and pronoun that we read almost every day without batting an eyelid).
    Thank you, for you post. I'm so happy you found a happy medium. You should be proud of you your accomplishments!
  • DefyGravity810
    DefyGravity810 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well, since you're a soon-to-be nutritionist first, congrats! Second, can I ask what you think of vitamins or maybe how to get more nutrients without them? There seems to be conflicting reports. As I'm sure most people on here do, I try to eat a lot of fruits ,vegetables, healthy fats, protein, etc. but at the end of the day I'm often still low on the RDAs for various nutrients that it tells me on here. Especially iron (I don't eat red meat, pork, or seafood) and calcium which I know are important for women. Do you think vitamins are good? Or, better yet, do you have any suggestions on how to up the iron without them (I say that because I'm guessing calcium = more dairy?). Thanks and best of luck with the exam!
  • Shanzstar
    Options
    Well, since you're a soon-to-be nutritionist first, congrats! Second, can I ask what you think of vitamins or maybe how to get more nutrients without them? There seems to be conflicting reports. As I'm sure most people on here do, I try to eat a lot of fruits ,vegetables, healthy fats, protein, etc. but at the end of the day I'm often still low on the RDAs for various nutrients that it tells me on here. Especially iron (I don't eat red meat, pork, or seafood) and calcium which I know are important for women. Do you think vitamins are good? Or, better yet, do you have any suggestions on how to up the iron without them (I say that because I'm guessing calcium = more dairy?). Thanks and best of luck with the exam!
    ]

Thanks for the kind words! Well in a perfect world, if you eat a healthy balanced diet you don't need to take a vitamin. However, some of us do fall short for some reason or another. Do you eat eggs, chicken, any fish (aside from seafood)? Eggs are a good source of iron especially if you fry them up in a cast iron skillet. This would be an excellent source for iron.

Do you eat fortified cereals? This is like taking a multivitamin. Just combine the cereal with some vitamin C so the body can absorb the iron more easily. So cereal with sliced strawberries or a glass of OJ.

You can eat plant based sources of iron. However, you will need to combine them with vitamin C so the body can easily absorb them. So spinach with sliced oranges, or Kale with oranges.

If you like orange juice, you can buy fortified orange juice with calcium and vitamin D. The best way to get both is through Dairy. I do not like to drink milk, so I put it in oatmeal, lattes, or I eat yogurt. I also like almond milk and I make shakes or smoothies with it.
    I'm glad you know where you fall short and are trying ways to make nutrition a priority! Good for you! I'm not against vitamins in any form. Of course, I try to get mine through food. Good luck!
  • Kicker12
    Kicker12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

It is.

The idea that food is food is one thing I've been saying for a while now. It's not a new idea. There is no such thing as good food and bad food. Food isn't capable of having those qualities. Those are human constructs. And, they are poor constructs based on myths.

Yes exactly! You nailed it on the head :) ... Although, I seriously have no idea how this is sexist or condescending... I must be missing something.

Maybe it's this...
    However, a vast majority of women today do not. It is time for women to learn how to say no. It is time for women to become a priority. It is time we realized that it is okay to help others, but we need to help ourselves first! It is time we start taking care of ourselves so we are better able to take care of others.
  • cutieryan
    cutieryan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like the assertion that food is just food and I hope you keep defending it. I've learned that if I want a brownie I can check my calorie goals and decide if its really something thats worth it then I can stick to just one... It took me a long time to learn that as long as I'm mindful about what I eat I don't have to feel guilty or like a failure and I can move on with my day.

I think people who are concerned about making every bite they eat as perfect as possible are letting food rule thier life in a way that I'm just not interested in. I'm here to learn how to eat in the real world.