Supplements... Good or bad..?

Options
chunks29
chunks29 Posts: 10 Member
I've lost 60+ lbs on my own with no supplements just good ol exercise and watching what I eat. I go to the gym everyday. I work go to school and I am a mom of 2.. I need an extra boost so I went to GNC and strated taking the women's energy & metabolism vitamens.. It's only been a week but I do feel the difference in energy level. I also just strated to take a prework out supp.. Called B4, wow what a diffrence I burned an extra 100 calories... Does anyone take or prefer not to take supplements..? What are your experience with them..?? Any suggestions..???

Replies

• elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the progress that is awesome..... I try to eat my proteins, but some times I need a shake to make my numbers.... I too take a pre workout, but I try to limit the usage of it..... Basically I take on an as needed basis or on the weekends when I really want to work in the gym... I workout 6days a week and maybe once or twice a week I use pre workout... Another reason I try to regulate is I believe my body gets used to it, thus lessing the effects it has after long term use.....
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Good job! 60 is a huge number! I really try to get all I need from food, but I still take a number of supplements, but not for weight loss. I take turmeric because I have frequent problems with my costochondritis (inflammation in the joints connecting the breastbone to ribs) and it's very healthy anyways, a probiotic since I am not as regular as I'd like no matter how much yogurt and fiber I eat, a pre-natal multivitamin that helps with the hair loss I experience from being on BC, and greens powder which is just dried up veggies like kale, kelp, wheat germ type stuff, because I don't always eat my veggies as often as I should. I usually drink some coffee prior to my workout (and this may be TMI, but I try to go to the bathroom too) and it makes a huge difference. So I can see a b vitamin pill really giving you the energy to put a lot into your workout. If it's working for you, I'd say go for it. Just make sure you're getting as many nutrients as you can from your food.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I need an extra boost so I went to GNC and started taking the women's energy & metabolism vitamins

Placebo......donate your money to charity.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I need an extra boost so I went to GNC and started taking the women's energy & metabolism vitamins

This. If there are any legitimate effects of multivitamins, I doubt you would even be able to feel them.
  • chunks29
    Options
    Thank you..! And yes so true. I don't want to get my body depending on that stuff so I don't like to take the prework out all the time only when I feel really burnt out. Plus Im scared I'll be wired all the time lol. But the everyday supps have helped a lot and I think I'm going to continue with them. I have also started eating a protein bar for lunch with my water because I woke at McDonalds and well I don't want to eat that crap I mean I just finishe a long hard work out just to mess it up by eating some damn burgers.. I'm a manager and sometime I'll work 9hrs straight no breaks so a protein bar helps curb my appetite so I'm not looking to stuff my face in a mcdouble lol.!
  • thisdamselflies
    thisdamselflies Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I toss half a scoop of protein powder in my morning smoothie to help fill me up and get some protein in the morning. I also take calcium supplements because my dairy allergy keeps me from getting enough calcium. I absolutely believe that supplements and vitamins can be healthy, with one caveat:

There have been several studies done on vitamins and supplements, and they've found that very often, people who take them are actually less healthy than those who don't. This is because they depend too much on the vitamins and supplements to keep them healthy, and they don't take care of their bodies.

So...as long as you're still eating "right" (right is subjective...whatever's right for you), exercising, sleeping, etc., and not depending on supplements to keep you healthy, keep right on!
  • Ljvalsan
    Ljvalsan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    suplements can help but you gotta be careful with your diet. Most of them are just made to fill gaps in nutrition. Proteins are good only if you control what you eat. If it is working for you and you don't notice any bad side effects, then go for it.
  • greatwestescape
    Options
    The only supplements I use is protein powder and a BCAA. I try and run 6 miles a day, combined with a 2000 day/diet, i dont want my muscle to waste away.

The whole supplement industry is a scam as far as I am concerned. As soon as I switched around what I ate and my daily routine my energy levels spiked drastically. If you're eating refined carbs (Pasta, Breads, Candy, Juice ...), and pop a pill to go to the gym because you're feeling to tired, you're doing it all wrong.

Saying this, the greens (vegegreens etc), I have noticed does keep my mood better despite the horrible horrible horrible taste. Did i mention it tastes horrible?

Forgot to add, it doesn't take long for your body to build up an immunity to the prework out formulas.
  • chunks29
    Options
    Thank you so much for all the feed back.. I'm trying to lose at least another 60 + lbs well for now any ways and my road has been long I had taken a leave from the gym for a bit because school was my main focus and wanted to do well, but I have learned that I can do both and taking it slow and steady is really the best way to avoiding putting it all back on and then some. Im not all savy when it comes to supplements and the lingo that come with it lol but I'm trying and I know I will learn as I go along.. Thanks again...
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I usually take BCAA's and whey protein so makes it easier for me to hit my macro goals. Just recently bought a pre-workout called Craze you notice difference lol.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Go on Bodybuilding.com if you want to buy your supplements; their prices are better than GNC and offer more/better products
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • zrjp9
    zrjp9 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Natural is always better...
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

This. If there are any legitimate effects of multivitamins, I doubt you would even be able to feel them.

The difference in these compared to a regular multi's is caffeine, B's, and diuretics. Amino's r good to preserve muscle. Creatine is good but not if ur trying to lose weight it usually causes water weight gain.u might get mixed opinions on that.