How is this possible?

Options
So. This might get long. But hear me out. Six years ago I joined weight watchers and, at 5'2, went from 135 to 120lbs. When I went to Europe for six weeks, I went up to 140. Since then I have been drifting between 130 and 140 and have been in complete misery about it. I have been following the same WW program for six years, writing everything I eat into an agenda. I eat a clean diet, lots of fruit and veggies, and I'm vegetarian. I tried the whole TDEE thing but that just made me feel AWFUL and bloated and sick, plus I gained weight.

Overall I've never been huge on exercise. Now and then I take up jogging, do a 5k marathon, and then quit. That being said, last November I started a job where I stock shelves for 5 hours 3-5 days a week. My FitBit shows 7,000 steps per shift. Over Christmas, I watched the people who were hired at the same time as me lose weight because of the work we were doing. Unsurprisingly, mine did not budge. Then three months ago I started the Couch to 10k app. I'm to the point where I am running 5k 3x/week outside. On top of this I have been doing 1 hour of pilates (blogilates) 3-5 days a week, which I started in May. Anyone who follows Cassie's workouts knows how difficult they are.

Anyway, my point is that my weight hasn't moved from 135 and, no, I have not lost any inches and my clothing does not fit me any differently. What gives? I had my thyroid checked and it's fine. What I'm not understanding is that I've made so many lifestyle changes in the last few months (I went clean vegetarian in January) and there's been zero change to my physical appearance. It's like the universe is playing a trick on me. Is there ANYTHING I'm not doing? Is 3 months of consistent exercise just not enough time to expect change?

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you are eating enough. If you're expending more energy and eating the same you might be putting yourself at too large a deficit.

I know you said you bloated on TDEE - 20 but did you jump from very little to that fast? You need to ease up.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    WW teaches us to eat far too little. You said you couldn't handle the TDEE thing and that is because your body was use to being starved which it still is now since you work and workout so much. You have to slowly up your calories till you are at the right calorie goal and then the weight will start to come off again

See this to work out what your should be eating and go up a little each week till you reach it. Eat more calorie dense foods and it won't be so hard to eat it all like nuts/nut butters, avocado, full fat dairy, olive and coconut oil, dressings on salads too..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, so I don't know how much help I can be. I'm curious as to why TDEE made you feel sick and bloated. It should be very similar to what weight watchers tells you. That being said, it sounds like you are eating at or near maintenance, particularly since you don't have much weight to lose. How accurate are you about logging everything and weighing everything? I'm vegetarian myself, and I know from experience that it can be surprisingly easy to overeat, even on "clean" foods (a lot of fruits and veggies have a surprising number of calories). If you aren't logging calories because WW doesn't require it, I would recommend starting it. I've known people who were within their WW points but well over in calories because of the "freebies" that they were allowed on their programs. Do you track your macros? If not, you should start. When you are close to goal, they can have an impact. I have mine set to 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat, and following my macros closely has helped me break a six month plateau. Also, if cardio isn't doing the trick, consider adding resistance training. Your body may be used to the exercise you are thowing at it (it all seems to be mostly leg based), so adding some compound lifts to force your body to work new muscles in new ways could have a beneficial effect. Hope that helps.
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I would recommend to start counting calories if you aren't already. Also, it may be a good idea to find a good endocrinologist, get your BMR tested, and get advice there how to improve your metabolism.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How accurately are you logging? Do you log everything that you consume? Fruits, veggies, condiments etc. Do you use a food scale? How much are you eating, gross? Since when has your weight not moved?
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Maybe 135 is where your body wants to be? It's certainly gives you a normal BMI.
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    How accurately are you logging? Do you log everything that you consume? Fruits, veggies, condiments etc. Do you use a food scale? How much are you eating, gross? Since when has your weight not moved?

^^
    This.

You are telling us how much you exercise but, you are leaving out the most important details.
    Losing weight is 80% diet. If your diet is on tract you don't have to do any exercise and you will still lose weight.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you go through a series of fads and don't actually stick to anything that actually works.

Eat a reasonable amount. Move more. KEEP AT IT. It takes time. Especially when you don't have masses to lose.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    135 is a great number.

It is possible your metabolism is changing as you get older. 6 years can make a difference.

Maybe you need to change up your food a bit because your body is used to the same foods so it maintains your weight

Your TDEE is an individual thing and calculators can only give you a rough idea. Online calculators told me mine was 2600+ but through trial and error I have found mine to be between 2000-2200.

Dont believe MFP and machines for an estimated calorie burn. They usually overestimate but 30-50%
  • raincoastgirl
    Options

I log everything, down to the blueberries I put in my oatmeal and the honey in my tea. I eat 20 WW points on the old system, which means fruit and veg are not freebies and I do count them. On WW, 100 Calories roughly = 2 points (depending on fat/fibre), so I would say 1000-1200 calories. My weight has been fluctuating from 132-135 for the last 6 years or so.
  • raincoastgirl
    Options
    135 is a great number.

It is possible your metabolism is changing as you get older. 6 years can make a difference.

Maybe you need to change up your food a bit because your body is used to the same foods so it maintains your weight

Your TDEE is an individual thing and calculators can only give you a rough idea. Online calculators told me mine was 2600+ but through trial and error I have found mine to be between 2000-2200.

Dont believe MFP and machines for an estimated calorie burn. They usually overestimate but 30-50%

I'm 5'2, so 135 is a terrible number from where I'm standing. I hear what you're saying about changing up the foods I'm eating, but I genuinely feel that I have made major changes in that respect, as I went clean and vegetarian 7 months ago. Apart from feeling better on the digestive front, nothing has affected my weight, and that's why I'm flummoxed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I log everything, down to the blueberries I put in my oatmeal and the honey in my tea. I eat 20 WW points on the old system, which means fruit and veg are not freebies and I do count them. On WW, 100 Calories roughly = 2 points (depending on fat/fibre), so I would say 1000-1200 calories. My weight has been fluctuating from 132-135 for the last 6 years or so.

1000-1200 is nowhere enough for the kind of job you have. You should probably eat close to 1600, that's without working out.
  • lizchic82
    lizchic82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2, I run 30 miles a week, do 3 x 1 hour weights classes with 5kg dumbells in each hand and if I eat over 1600 cals on training days and more than 1350 on rest days I gain weight. Its that easy. My body is incredibly efficient, I have the appetite of a 6 foot man but have to eat so much less :-(!!!

I will get slated for this from all those lucky people who are taller and require more cals, but unless I eat under 1200 cals a day I cannot and do not lose weight. Even with all my exercise. Oh, and my job is dog walking, so I usually walk around 12 hours week also.

I don't know what the answer is but I am trying to up my muscle mass (even though its already pretty good) in order to help lower my fat percentage.
    That should help a little in maintenance once I am back to my desirable weight of...you'll never guess.... 135lbs!! I am currently 147 and desperate to get back under 140 where I am much happier.

Good luck with the suggestions people have made. I would have a green juice per day, up your protein and you weight training, do this for at least 6 weeks, and see what's changed. Good luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Do you use a food scale? You say you are logging but are referring to WW points. Are you logging here or are you tracking using WW points but adding fruit/veggies?
  • raincoastgirl
    Options
    I am 5'2, I run 30 miles a week, do 3 x 1 hour weights classes with 5kg dumbells in each hand and if I eat over 1600 cals on training days and more than 1350 on rest days I gain weight. Its that easy. My body is incredibly efficient, I have the appetite of a 6 foot man but have to eat so much less :-(!!!

I will get slated for this from all those lucky people who are taller and require more cals, but unless I eat under 1200 cals a day I cannot and do not lose weight. Even with all my exercise. Oh, and my job is dog walking, so I usually walk around 12 hours week also.

I don't know what the answer is but I am trying to up my muscle mass (even though its already pretty good) in order to help lower my fat percentage.
    That should help a little in maintenance once I am back to my desirable weight of...you'll never guess.... 135lbs!! I am currently 147 and desperate to get back under 140 where I am much happier.

Good luck with the suggestions people have made. I would have a green juice per day, up your protein and you weight training, do this for at least 6 weeks, and see what's changed. Good luck!

Wow, I don't claim to workout has hard as you do but it's nice to have someone to commiserate with and who understands! As for your goal weight, 135 would most likely look a lot different on you than on me with all the exercise you're doing. Thanks for the suggestions, and good luck! I hope you see some success soon.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    get your metabolism tested, then you will know how many calories are needed,
  • smwooley
    smwooley Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    WW teaches us to eat far too little. You said you couldn't handle the TDEE thing and that is because your body was use to being starved which it still is now since you work and workout so much. You have to slowly up your calories till you are at the right calorie goal and then the weight will start to come off again

See this to work out what your should be eating and go up a little each week till you reach it. Eat more calorie dense foods and it won't be so hard to eat it all like nuts/nut butters, avocado, full fat dairy, olive and coconut oil, dressings on salads too..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

^^ This. My guess is you're not eating enough. When I compared what I could eat on WW with what I started out on here (which I only started out at 1200 calories) I could eat a lot more on here; meaning WW has you drastically undereat. 1200 is also too low. I totally agree with the above poster. Just as a side note, I plateaued for 2 months and couldn't get the scale to move. Upped my calories, and it moved. Has worked EVERY time.