Late night eater...hurting my weight loss efforts?

Options
I've read a few posts where folks recommend not eating at least 4 hours before bed. Truth? Is a calorie a calorie? If I'm staying true to calorie intake (not starving, not over doing it), does it matter?

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Nope, doesn't make any odds, I eat the vast majority of mine during the week in the evening, right up to bedtime sometimes.

Crisp sandwich on white bread as a nightcap anyone? :)
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I would opt for a late night protein snack an hour before bedtime... ;P

http://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/diet-weight-loss/8-calorie-burning-myths-debunked-120077
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Take a 500+ calorie snack (carbs no less) to bed with me every night and it hasn't hindered my weight loss so far.... Best of Luck
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I dont think it matters, but I also think it depends on how strict of a food schedule your on. What I mean is if your on a strict schedule then avoid night eating because you will be eating extra/ unneeded calories. If your more just about watching what you'r eating then just leave a calorie deficit for the evenings so you dont over eat and go over the calories.

Also another thing that can effect is how you feel in the morning - I'm not a morning eater and I know that unless I eat something later in the day I wake up STARVING. So for me thats a consideration - i.e. I prefer to start eating later in the day so I shift my calories to the afternoon/ evening/ night and then I dont need to eat until late in the morning/ early afternoon.

So in a nutshell, it depends on your schedule and preferences for meal times.
  • Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you're staying under your calorie goal for the day, eat to your hearts content. I've lost over 50 pounds eating all the way up until bed time. Time of eating is irrelevant.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bless you, all! Thanks for your opinions and encouragement...I'm on a Chicken/mushroom Panini on rye bread kick...just a half sandwich, so it's not all that bad but didn't want to undo my daily efforts. No mayo!
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    it has not stopped me a couple nights ago i had a son of baconator before bed:laugh:

i usualy try to wait an hour after i eatto go to bed other than that just eat when you need to
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating a lot of extra food late at night it is fine.

Years ago, when I was not working, I lost a lot of weight while eating quite late at night. I was not eating extra food but I always stayed up late so I planned for eating something late at night.

My life is different now & I no longer eat late at night. I've lost a lot of weight this way, too.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I usually hit the gym around 9:00PM and then the pool after that, I typically end up home around 11:30, and I always have something when I get home, nothing big usually, but 2-300 cals typically. No worries, as long as you're under your cals for the day, when you consume them is irrelevant.

Rigger
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm aware, and as stated above, time of day does not impact your fat loss progress. Enjoy your snacks! Just don't go overboard.
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    honestly I have learned it depends on what you eat!!!! veggies, protein bars and shakes etc.. with a cup of water fine

Fast food, greasy food....etc oh hell yeah it will

nothing wrong with eating something light I work until midnights and well when I get home around 1am I always have a healthy snack before bed...still loosing weight:)
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories after work, so probably between 5 and 10 pm. My day is too busy, and so I eat light and then have a decent dinner, wine and snacks. I've lost 21 kg in 205 days so I don't think it's hurting me.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I've read a few posts where folks recommend not eating at least 4 hours before bed. Truth? Is a calorie a calorie? If I'm staying true to calorie intake (not starving, not over doing it), does it matter?

Bull. I always eat late at night and right before I go to bed. I can't sleep if I'm hungry and I am very hungry after 3-4 hours. Moreover, I nearly always have something carb-laden right before bed - an english muffin, a PBJ, a few pieces of candy, etc. Also, I know I am a late night eater so I always plan my calories accordingly and leave some for late at night.

This. I eat the majority of my days calories after 8pm.
  • MelissaDoc
    MelissaDoc Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I work 4+ overnights a week so I usually have dinner around 10pm and then a snack between 1am-4am, and that has not stopped me! But maybe this is not what you are referrring to ;)
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters. What matters most, at least with me, is portion and calorie intake control.

I always eat very late and am still losing weight. My lifestyle doesn't permit any kind of "6 pm is my last meal for the day" routine. I work from 9.15 am till 6.30 or 7 pm. I need to eat after I get home or else I crumble :). I also normally go to the gym after my work so that pushes my last meal even further into the evening.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I've reached my desired loss goal and i've always ate in the evenings, I was definitely one of those people that believed i had to cut it out when i began my journey but then realised that just wasn't doable and it wasn't something i'd keep up my whole life mainly because some evenings im not back til hate and also sometimes i just like to have a snack with a cup of tea in the evening as long as its in my calorie goals. Has not hindered my progress and from the posts on here it doesn't seem to have hindered anyone elses either.

Guess the best advice to give is do what suits you, don't feel guilty about it as long as its within your calorie goals you shall be ok. :)