Mexican Restaurant Help!!!!

lauryn86
lauryn86 Posts: 86 Member
Hey yall I have a question! We eat Mexican pretty much every sunday. I want some healthy ideas so that I don't get bored with fijitas, which I do. Thanks so much, and if you know the calorie count that is even better, thanks!!

Replies

• TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    When we go out to our local taqueria I order their prawn quesadilla, it's delicious.

1 flour tortilla
    1.5 slices of mexican white cheese
    1/2 cup of grilled onions
    4 oz. grilled prawns

It's the healthiest thing I've found on their menu.
    I don't partake of the chips and salsa anymore, those are too easy to get carried away with.
  • sweetlyybroken
    sweetlyybroken Posts: 209 Member
    http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/aa050207a.htm

Hope this helps (a little..)

Also, burritos and soft tacos tend to be pretty good. Comparably at least.
  • _NautiBuoy_
    _NautiBuoy_ Posts: 55 Member
    But mexican resteraunts all serve the same thing and call them different names I.E.

Taco- Four torillta with lettuce, tomato, sour cream, beef or bean, Cheese.
    Quesadilla- cheese, tomato, sour cream, beef or chicken, flour tortilla, and lettuce.
    Buritto- beef or bean, flour tortilla, sour cream, tomato, cheese, lettuce
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    I will either go for fajitas with a lettuce wrap OR some chicken & shrimp dish that has grilled veggies along with brown rice (:
    I much rather eat at home than at a restaurant though (:
  • ShelleyWatters
    ShelleyWatters Posts: 12 Member
    I always order this:

"I'd like a taco salad, with NO TACO (i.e. no shell), no cheese, no croutons, no dressing (or on the side if I forgot to bring my own), with asada chicken"

the result is a pile of lettuce with asada chicken and pico de gallo on top. I use a little salsa for dressing, or bring my own ranch. SO yummy!
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    I always order this:

"I'd like a taco salad, with NO TACO (i.e. no shell), no cheese, no croutons, no dressing (or on the side if I forgot to bring my own), with asada chicken"

the result is a pile of lettuce with asada chicken and pico de gallo on top. I use a little salsa for dressing, or bring my own ranch. SO yummy!

Isn't this just a chicken salad? Or do they not have that on the menu? & I've never thought to bring my own dressing to a restaurant! That's genius (: Usually I just eat my dining out salads naked.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    My favorite Mexican restaurant has a grilled chicken and vegetables plate. It comes with cheese sauce, rice, and beans. I usually ask for no cheese sauce, and then give half of the rice and beans to my kids. They live it and always want extra besides their meal.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Get something grilled, like chicken/shrimp/beef/vegetable fajitas, chicken breast, or steak, borracho or charro beans instead of refried, verde, tampiqueno or ranchero sauce, or just stick with salsa or pico. Skip the chips, tortillas, and rice, or just eat one small corn tortilla.
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    We have lots and lots of Mexican restaurants in our area of Texas. My go to meal when I am watching the calories is to get the Chicken or Beef Soup. It's always homemade down here and has lots of vegetables. I usually just have to count the broth, the chicken, and the potatoes/carrots. Delicioso!
  • Chicken or beef enchalada topped with grilled onion/peppers and a double of pico. No beans, no rice. Ever. Well, until I drop 5 pounds.

Or frajita plater minus the totillas, beans, rice. Double the pico.

I just spoon the tomatoe sauce stuff without the chips. Maybe a couple or three to set the scene.
  • fultimers
    fultimers Posts: 153 Member
    We live in an area where there are literally hundreds of Mexican restaurants. My go-to meal is either Caldo de Pollo (Chicken Soup) or Caldo de Rez (Beef Soup). It comes in a big bowl with lots of broth and vegetables. I just have to be careful not overeating the rice and the tortillas they usually include with it.