Looking for healthy (sugar-free?) recipes for rhubarb

Options
godsgrl33
godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
Hello, MFP followers! I would like some ideas on how to make a rhubarb dessert that is healthier than the typical fruit crisp or rhubarb pie that one would typically make. Any ideas??? Maybe something with sugar-free jello in it?

Replies

• godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    nobody??? well, maybe i'll look on pintrest or allrecipes. Any other sites that someone could suggest?
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    rhubarb is so tart I don't see a way to make it palatable without some kind of sugar added.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You can juice rhubarb, strawberries, and add stevia for sweetness and get strawberry rhubarb pie in a glass! Plus it's 1000x healthier! :)
  • matyoung125
    matyoung125 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    just stewed or baked with a little sweetener and serve with low cal custard. 1 spoon sweetener per stick.

Roasted with some sweeetner it's also good as a side for oily fish. 15 min in the oven 400F/200c until it's just soft to the point of a knife
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I can't find the recipe (sorry), but last summer I made some strawberry rhubarb tartlets that were lovely and had surprisingly little sweetener added.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I can help! Do you live in the UK?
    If so, look up on the web for Bolero Sugar free drinks.
    These sachets of VERY sweet powder have various fruity flavours. I suggest you use the strawberry or raspberry in about 150mls of water - very concentrated as a sachet usually makes 1.5 litres. Then use that to stew or poach your rhubarb
    It has relatively NO calories in the Bolero and the result will be very syrupy and sweet rhubarb
    I use it for my diabetic husband, who loves it!
    If youre in any other county, I'm not sure if they ship, but sure to I guess..
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    You could stew it in honey and orange juice/zest and have it with 0% greek yoghurt.
  • paulette749
    Options
    Stew it in diet lemonade. Works a treat.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'd call using diet sweetener products "healthy" though. that stuff isn't good for you. I think you are better off with real sugar. you could try just using a quarter cup of sugar or something. just enough to take the edge off the tart.

oh, I just thought of a lower glycemic natural sweetener. agave syrup might be very good with rhubarb.
  • KaylaBlu2019
    KaylaBlu2019 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Either agave syrup or coconut sugar will work great as a substitute for any recipes with sugar. :) Hope this helps.
  • MarissaEgham
    MarissaEgham Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try this Fresh mackerel with roasted rhubarb http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/freshmackerelwithroa_92281 but substitute the sugar with honey. Delicious.
  • auntiejack
    auntiejack Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Stew with some ginger and add to natural yogurt lovely for breakfast
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I just stew in the micro nothing added and add low fat yoghurt, vanilla being a great one.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Rhubarb can easily be used in savory dishes such as pork, pork loin, turkey, chicken and other meats in sauces with reductions you can achieve the sweetness from fresh pressed apple cider, wines or even alternative sugars or honey.

the trick is to cut it in small pieces to keep it from being stringy like celery. Another good idea to use it is in a chutney sweet, sour with bite from the vinegar.

this is pretty good example from epicurious pretty low calories minimal sweetness with only 1 tsp of honey used

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Spicy-Chicken-Thighs-with-Rhubarb-Cucumber-Salsa-395038