frequency of weigh ins...

Options
doing a little impromptu poll here...
i have been weighing in "weekly" well several times a week lol with the one weigh in on saturday being the "official" weight for the week....i have monthly goals set now and my next goal is 206 by 10/2....i weighed in on 9/4 and was 213.2 (+.2 above my goal for 9/4 - i'm happy with my progress)....if i'm doing what i'm "supposed to" then i shouldnt need to weigh in as much as i find myself doing it, right????

sooooo, my question is, how often do you weigh in???? what are the pros and cons of how you do it???? how do you keep yourself OFF your scale in between weighins? do you see results the way you do it???

Replies

• happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, like you - on a Saturday.

As I lose weight so slowly, if I weigh in any more - I don't see any change (or worse, an increase!!) :sad:

But I am far too impatient to only weigh in once a month...I need the satisfaction/reward factor of seeing those numbers fall! :laugh:
  • dgillandersjr
    Options
    I generally weigh-in once per week. I think because I lost the bulk of my weight via weight watchers previously, I got used to doing that. Now that I am trying to lose the rest of my weight, I am just continuing with that. I think the separation of an entire week allows you to overcome variances from water etc.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I weigh in every day. It keeps me more accountable than once a week. However, I do realize that it's going to fluctuate from day to day whether I'm losing overall or not, but I just feel better knowing where I'm at each day and knowing that I'm staying the course.
  • mmaccree
    Options
    Hi.

I personally weigh myself daily. I know people say you shouldn't, but for me it keeps me on track. I know that if I eat something bad the previous day, when I step on the scale the next day, I'm not going to be very happy with what I see...so to avoid that I stay within my food limits and keep going. In addition, if the scale does go up, then it allows me to reevaluate what I may have eaten the day before and adjust accordingly. I don't believe weighing daily is for everyone. There are some days that I see that scale go up and for an hour or two afterwards I'm in kind of a funk, but I get over it and keep moving forward. For some it will ruin their entire day and then they completely give up. I think you have to decide if you can deal with the daily fluctuations or not and then decide if you'll weigh daily, weekly, monthly, etc. Either one you choose, just keep up the great job you're doing and the weight will come off.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Once a week on Friday morning
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, first thing (after bathroom) and I record it here and on a spreadsheet, then I get dressed in my exercise clothes. Doing this first thing in the morning, starts me thinking about my fitness goals first thing...starts the day off right. I also see those daily fluctuations in my weight and I look at the average for the week and the trend over time. Also, for me, knowing that I'm going to weigh myself in the morning, it helps me resist late night snacking which used to be my biggest problem. If I only weighed in once a week and it was a heavy day, I think it would be more discouraging to me than if I see how my weight fluctuates day-to-day, but I can see that over the week, I have lost weight.
  • BeccyBerry
    Options
    I weigh in daily (as soon as I wake up), but my official weigh in day is sunday and that is the weight I take for the week.

I like to weigh in daily mainly so if I have had a bad day and the scales reflect it when I next weigh in, it pushes me to try that extra bit harder to stick within my calories that or put in that little bit more effort when exercising. Its the thought of having to get on those scales that keeps me on track, if I only weighed in once a month i'd find myself thinking 'i'll just have that extra cake i've got 3 weeks to work it off'
  • Spartan621
    Spartan621 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I weigh in & take measurements every two weeks on Monday mornings.
  • Julbella78
    Julbella78 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself just about every day but I only log on Wednesdays.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily, but only record my weight 2x out of the 7 weigh ins. I don't like surprises and so I like to see a daily view to what I'm doing. I am part of 3 groups in the communities and there are 2 different weigh in days. I put all weeks previous in my posts and it's very encouraging to see a drop in that group weekly, even if I'm up a little more for one group than another.

I.e. I know my Friday weigh in is generally higher than my Monday. So I know that I need to work on moving more during the week. If it was the opposite way around, I'd know I need to eat less on the weekends.

I don't pay much attention to daily fluctuations and I did just pull together a spreadsheet offline (yes, I'm a nerd but I'm not crazy about the reports feature on here) and overall, I'm trending down at 2lbs a week, which is my goal. I'm on track. but I can see that there was a week that I lost more than that and then a week that I didn't lose at those levels. I can now go in and analyse both those weeks to find out what I was doing/what was going on, etc. to self correct my behaviour.

You can't fix what you can't measure.
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Weigh in 3 times a week when I exercise but I find because I weigh in so often theat if the wii doesn't move it makes me upset and I get down heartened about the whole weight loss thing.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The last few years of trying to lose weight, I've noticed I consistently gain when I don't weigh frequently. Now I weigh every morning if I can. I don't actually own a scale. :tongue: But there is one where I exercise. Downside: I freak out when I see myself gain a pound or two, but I like to check the reports to see what nutrient I'm getting too much of or not enough of to cause it (Evil, evil salt). Maybe I'm a tad obsessive?

Last night I got in late from a road trip and was dying to go weigh myself at 2 AM and had to resist. I hadn't weighed myself in a few days. But this morning's weigh-in was totally worth it! I get so emotional.
  • Hughes39
    Options
    I weigh in weekly because I like to see progress (or lack of) so I know what I'm doing right/wrong and can change things if needed.
  • Qbanldy
    Qbanldy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. I've been at my goal for a month or so and now I weigh a little less than my goal. I know why "they" say you should not do it every day. It's usually because when people see the scale go down they tend to eat more, thinking they can "cheat." OR people get discouraged when they see a fluctuation or increase after "being so good."
    I find that it keeps me from fooling myself. I clearly understand that some days, through no fault of my own, the scale will show a higher number.
    I have found that there is no way to kid myself, after a few days of going off my healthy eating plan, if I brave the scale every day.
    Those are my thoughts and after dieting for most of my life (I'm now 45) it is something that has always worked for me.
    Good luck and in the end YOU have to do what works for YOU!
  • disnyfan
    disnyfan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every other Monday am. Time goes by so fast so I can handle this. Plus it makes me jump up higher....kinda tricks me! :)
    Plus I don't want to get hung up on the numbers. Weight can flexuate all over the place. I want to stay motivated...
  • Adusenka
    Adusenka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Aww I'm so glad I'm not the only who needs to weigh in every day.. I try to think of Saturday as an official weigh in day tho :)
  • shannie_134
    Options
    I weigh once a week on my way to work,as I do not own a set of scales,down side is I am now wearing more clothes and shoes as the weather is getting cooler.I think its time I bought some scales and can the weigh in at home,wearing the same thing each time
  • swclifton
    swclifton Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day, first thing after getting up and going to the restroom, then I get all my clothing off and weigh the way that God made me. I have to be careful not to get depressed if it goes up or too excited if it goes down. I try to keep in context of the days around the weight in and whether I've eaten well and exercised well for it to do the direction it is going in. This has been very helpful to me to lose the weight I've lost so far.
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i can't but help to weigh myself every morning! my official weigh-in day is tuesdays though. i like to do it everyday because it keeps me on track and accountable.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I officially weigh Friday and Mondays. Sometimes I'll weigh every day of the weekend if I didn't lose on Friday and am sure I'll lose on Monday but typically, that's it.