A Little Guidance on My Routine Please

Options
Some background info - I'm 5'2", 107 pounds, almost 26, and lost 59 pounds through heavy restricting (I eventually cut down to ~900 cals per day over about 18 months). At the moment I'm increasing my calories up to maintenance, and trying to focus on hitting my macros (50 carbs, 25, 25) and getting more protein and vitamins. I feel so much better now I'm doing this!

My workout routing has built up over the months to be -
Mon/Wed/Fri - 40 mins of cardio (cross-trainer and stationery bike) and resistance training (I think that's what I do? I just use all the resistance machines at my gym with names like "lat pulldown" and "chest press", that have settings upto 12; I use setting 9 - I've asked and they have no correlating weight info, but the huge body-builder guys use 12, the new guys use about 5, the new women around 3) for about 20 mins. I also use dumbbells (5lb each) to do three sets for my arms, but have no idea what they're called as my brother taught me!
Tues/Thurs - just the same 40 mins of cardio, no weights at all.

Is there a better way to use my time, particularly Tues/Thurs? I'm pretty happy with my physique, although my arms and shoulders are a little large (but hard as rocks so I'm assuming muscle). I do have joint issues in my knees so high impact things like running are out (the same reason I dont do squats).

I have no idea about my BF%, my analyser scale says 14% but that's obviously wrong. Measurements are 25" waist, 33" hips, 5.75" wrist, 9.5" forearm, 12" neck. I dont track resistance, only cardio, but my diary's open. I joined MFP very recently to help with maintenance, and my first week of logging looks weird as I had to eat lots of foods that make me very sick for some rather invasive tests!

Any thoughts would be very helpful thanks!

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Well, my first thought is that you have been undereating for a long time, so you will see a bit of weight gain as you slowly increase your daily calories to maintenance levels. This is normal and you may see a bit of fat mass gain along with less muscle mass gain as your body's hormone levels come back into balance.

In terms of your exercise routine, it sounds like you're not very knowledgeable in what you're doing. I suggest reading up on resistance training and choose a strength training program that appeals to you and begin to follow that.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Well, my first thought is that you have been undereating for a long time, so you will see a bit of weight gain as you slowly increase your daily calories to maintenance levels. This is normal and you may see a bit of fat mass gain along with less muscle mass gain as your body's hormone levels come back into balance.

In terms of your exercise routine, it sounds like you're not very knowledgeable in what you're doing. I suggest reading up on resistance training and choose a strength training program that appeals to you and begin to follow that.

QFT

Please, please read this OP. You've most likely lost quite a bit of LBM. Don't be scared to see the scale jump up at first.
  • amy_1987
    amy_1987 Posts: 45
    Options
    Thankyou - actually since I started eating more (about 3 weeks ago) I've lost another 3 pounds?
    My gym offers a fitness test (takes about an hour, they also measure BF%) and personal training, do you think this would be a good start?
  • whierd
    Options
    Thankyou - actually since I started eating more (about 3 weeks ago) I've lost another 3 pounds?
    My gym offers a fitness test (takes about an hour, they also measure BF%) and personal training, do you think this would be a good start?

No. At this point I think you should stop worrying about your weight and bodyfat. Focus on your nutrition first. Once you are eating back your maintenance calories (TDEE level, not BMR), keep at it for at least a month before weighing yourself. You are going to see a higher number on the scale, but that is fine. At that point, start your structured strength training plan and stick with it for a few months.
  • amy_1987
    Options
    My TDEE with moderate exercise is 1989, is there a reason that's better than BMR + exercise calories? And while I do exercise "moderately"according to their scale, I also spend a lot of time sitting due to my job at the moment.
    I uploaded some photos, can you tell by looking if I'm lacking in LBM?
  • whierd
    Options
    My TDEE with moderate exercise is 1989, is there a reason that's better than BMR + exercise calories? And while I do exercise "moderately"according to their scale, I also spend a lot of time sitting due to my job at the moment.
    I uploaded some photos, can you tell by looking if I'm lacking in LBM?

BMR is Basal Metabolic Rate, which is your calorie need if you were in a coma. It doesn't take into account your normal daily activities, so even if you added exercise calories, you would still be at a deficit. TDEE is better because it accounts for ALL of the calories you burn per day.

You actually have a very nice body, but yes, I can tell there is a lack of LBM in some areas. Once you start eating at or slightly above maintenance and strength training, you are going to gain back lean muscle in all the right places, making you a total knockout.
  • amy_1987
    Options
    Losing the weight was easy, taking care of yourself is much harder :( I guess it's going to take a lot more work on my thought processes regarding food to get to a healthy place inside.
  • whierd
    Options
    Losing the weight was easy, taking care of yourself is much harder :( I guess it's going to take a lot more work on my thought processes regarding food to get to a healthy place inside.

Excellent attitude. :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Is there a better way to use my time, particularly Tues/Thurs? I'm pretty happy with my physique, although my arms and shoulders are a little large (but hard as rocks so I'm assuming muscle). I do have joint issues in my knees so high impact things like running are out (the same reason I dont do squats).

You've done a very good job of telling us what you're doing but haven't provided any guidance about where you want to go. Before we can give you good advice (or bad, but relevant advice) we need to know what you're trying to accomplish with your workouts. I have some ideas about what direction I'd lead you in but those are based on my goals, not yours.
  • amy_1987
    Options
    I want to maintain my current shape and size (obviously the scales are less important, it's more a getting into my jeans issue!), but also continue to improve my overall health and fitness. I'm wondering if there's a more efficient way of spending my workout time, and whether I would be better to switch maybe my Tues/Thurs cardio to something new, like yoga?

I feel a bit torn between different demands in my life - I'm very time poor, but I also need something to focus on and work towards to keep motivated. I'm not sure cardio five days a week, in it's current form, is maintainable for me long term, which is important to me.

Thanks
  • Squirrel1601
    Options
    I feel a bit torn between different demands in my life - I'm very time poor, but I also need something to focus on and work towards to keep motivated. I'm not sure cardio five days a week, in it's current form, is maintainable for me long term, which is important to me.

Strength training is a good way to set yourself goals to work toward. You know you are making progress when your weight loads increase.