I work with food and have to taste it. HELP

Options
So I work in a cafe kitchen, its nice and active, always running about and sweating up a storm. But how do I handle the fact that I have to taste the soups, sauces and cake mixtures as I make them, as decreed by my Chef.
I am not in the habit if mking excuses for my weight (I eat like hell an never exercised), however upon tasti.ng all the delicious things, I want more and I blame the job. I used.to have that thing (be it lasagne, gumbo, chiffon cake, casseroles or whatever) for my lunch that day and even though I now bring my pre-made healthy lunxh and snacks with me I find that I just crave the fattening things, especially after having tasted them during cooking!

Any hints or help MUCHO appreciated xxx

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Make like a wine taster and have a spitting pot or something.
  • divathinmuffin
    Options
    That is not a terrible idea!!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    :D You could also take something cleansing between tasting, like a mint or something that gets rid of the taste. It might stop you wanting to eat more.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Show up to work with a stomach already full of good-ratio foods.

Taste the minimum you need to do your job

OR -- gumbo and lasagna aren't necessarily horrible, in themselves -- have a BIT of those, together with more of your own lunch. If you know what the menu's going to be, make your lunch aesthetically complementary to the special.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    :D You could also take something cleansing between tasting, like a mint or something that gets rid of the taste. It might stop you wanting to eat more.

but that would mess up OP's sense of taste for the next thing, no?