new to weight training- days off?

Options
I recently started using weights to help build my strength, I want to get leaner and more toned. I read on here that you should not waste time with the light weights and push your self with heavier weight. I tried this on Friday for the first time and was only a little sore yesterday, but I gave myself the day off of weights and just did cardio. I am more sore today, should I take another day off or no? How many days a week should I be using weights? I was almost everyday with really light weights and was never sore. Also I do cardio 6-7 days per week.

Any other advice is welcome about weight training since I am so new to it!

Replies

• Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    It's going to be normal for your body to be sore with each new body part you workout. As for the skip the light weights and go straight for heavy, I don't agree at all.

Lift at a weight that you can do reps with controlled proper form. It's useless using heavy weights if you aren't doing the exercise properly.

I usually work one body part a week and fill the rest of of the week with rest days. Here's my routine:

Monday - Legs/Abs
    Tuesday- rest day
    Wednesday- Back/Biceps
    Thursday-Abs
    Friday-Shoulders/Abs
    Saturday-rest day
    Sunday-Chest/Triceps

Also, to get lean and toned you don't need to do so much cardio. I do none. Well, maybe about once or twice every couple of weeks when I play football.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    It's going to be normal for your body to be sore with each new body part you workout. As for the skip the light weights and go straight for heavy, I don't agree at all.

Lift at a weight that you can do reps with controlled proper form. It's useless using heavy weights if you aren't doing the exercise properly.

I usually work one body part a week and fill the rest of of the week with rest days. Here's my routine:

Monday - Legs/Abs
    Tuesday- rest day
    Wednesday- Back/Biceps
    Thursday-Abs
    Friday-Shoulders/Abs
    Saturday-rest day
    Sunday-Chest/Triceps

Also, to get lean and toned you don't need to do so much cardio. I do none. Well, maybe about once or twice every couple of weeks when I play football.

This, some people do splits (body parts on different days), others do full body workouts (like 5x5). Taking rest days is what you need to recover. Regardless of which you choose to do rest is important. I tend to train Mon, Tues, Thu and Fri and rest on the other days. Do what works for you.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner and am doing this All Pro routine and really like it. Here is a link to a group that you can join or just get more information about it. It's a full body workout 3 times a week with one rest day in between.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12707-all-pro-s-beginner-weight-lifting-routine
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Do an all body workout three times per week, that's enough. Rest and grow your muscles the time between, or do light cardio.

Try to include legs though in your full body routine.

Heavy being better is right, but watch form. And do more reps (10-14) in the first six months to prevent injuries.
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    ok thanks, maybe i will try doing weights 3 times a week...I tried to do a pretty comprehensive routine as far as working my full body instead of concentrating on one area, since its all needs work.

I definitely was paying attention to my form, and it was hard, but I didn't feel it was impossible or that I was totally out of my league as far as the actual weight and my abilities.

Thanks again.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

ALWAYS include legs though in your full body routine.

Fixed it :wink:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You need to follow an actual lifting program. You're not going to get much benefit just picking up random weights. Your lifting program will dictate your lifts...when to rest...when to up you weights...when to de-load, etc. Given you are a beginner you are going to get the most benefit from doing a 3x weekly full body routine, taking a day off in between each lifting day for recovery (where the magic happens). These programs focus on the big compound lifts that work everything in short order. People, and beginners in particular tend to gravitate to doing a lot of isolation and assistance work and ignore the compound lifts...thus getting minimal benefit for their effort.

Look into New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, or any of these progressive programs that are geared towards the beginner in the weight room. I do cardio on my non-lifting days. I usually do some "recovery" cardio on lifting days but I either do it after I lift or in the morning but don't lift until night. This is usually just going for a nice walk or easy bike ride or something...very low key, just moving. You don't want to do anything too intense as it will interfere with your lifting recovery.
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    . You don't want to do anything too intense as it will interfere with your lifting recovery.

whoops...maybe that is why I am more sore today, I did pretty intense cardio yesterday, and the day before, immediately before I did weights.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Look into Stronglifts 5x5. It's a great program and tells you exactly what to do. And if you're concerned/embarrassed/whatever about starting out with just the bar....forget it. Check your ego at the door. As a few have already said here it's much better to get your form down before lifting "heavy"....you could really hurt yourself.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    also stretch afterwards (and personally i find a warm-hot shower is really helpful too). if you know yoga, then do about 10 minutes of good stretching after your weights
  • peachpearl1
    Options
    thanks for the tips!!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i do

Monday: Chest/Triceps/Abs
    Tues: Legs/Shoulders
    Wednesday: Bicep/Back
    Repeat, no off days and cardio every day. And i'm giving each muscle group 48 hours of recovery. I've been doing this methodlogy for 2.5 years and it's worked great.