Food diary

Options
When do you begin recording your foods? At 12 midnight, or after you wake up in the morning?

Replies

• lesleyta
    lesleyta Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I start with breakfast, but I guess it doesn't matter as long as it's the same every day :)
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Just be consistent. If your schedule has you up into the night, you can have your days change when you sleep or at midnight. I'd think using your main sleep time as the seperater would be easiest and most consistent, but I know some people have schedules that are all over the place.
  • Lilliesmom2010
    Options
    Well personally I do it from the time I get up until I go to bed, which is pretty normal schedule. I wake about 6am and go to bed around 10pm. But you need to make sure you are recording everything you eat and drink in a 24 hr period. You can change the meals to actual times you eat.
    HTH, (hope that helps)
    Jennifer
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Just be consistent. If your schedule has you up into the night, you can have your days change when you sleep or at midnight. I'd think using your main sleep time as the seperater would be easiest and most consistent, but I know some people have schedules that are all over the place.

This.

I agree - be consistent, that way you can compare things day-to-day/week-to-week. Some people set their food diary up so that eat section represents a specific period of time, others do it so that it's normal meals/snacks. I have mine setup with breakfast/morning snack/lunch/afternoon snack/dinner/evening snack. Whatever works best for you - it's super easy to customize.

As far as when I put things in, I log breakfast, snacks and lunch either 1st thing in the morning or the night before, then in the evening I'll update any changes I made to that during the day and I'll add dinner. This helps keep me on track when I have a plan for the day.
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I do mine in the morning for the whole day. That way I feel like I have a plan. I love plans. Then at night I add my water and make any changes I made to the plan.

Doing my diary in the morning keeps me from making crazy impulse choices, most of the time. I know I'm having chicken and a potato for dinner, no need to stop at subway just because the smell of the bread baking is calling my name. I don't know for me this really works. I'm a planner and so having a daily food plan helps keep me on track.

But I agree with everyone who says do what works for you. This is just my way. Find a way that works for you and stick with it. Good luck I hope you reach your goal(s).
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I do mine in the morning for the whole day. That way I feel like I have a plan. I love plans. Then at night I add my water and make any changes I made to the plan.

Doing my diary in the morning keeps me from making crazy impulse choices, most of the time. I know I'm having chicken and a potato for dinner, no need to stop at subway just because the smell of the bread baking is calling my name. I don't know for me this really works. I'm a planner and so having a daily food plan helps keep me on track.

But I agree with everyone who says do what works for you. This is just my way. Find a way that works for you and stick with it. Good luck I hope you reach your goal(s).

same here - keeps me accountable and I can plan so I'm not caught off guard when it's time to eat.