Best Approach

Options
kmard81
kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
From experience, would you say it is more effective to loose weight via calorie counting or low carb? I have been working out and doing low cal but a friend works out and does low carb. We are both loosing, but I am finding it hard to keep motivation.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The info in this topic has been my best approach, and given me the best success with zero loss of motivation - because it's sustainable: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

I aim for my calorie and macro goals each day, exercise 5-6 days a week, drink water, get good sleep, repeat. It's been over 18 months since setting my calorie goals through that topic, and with I've cruised right through birthdays, holidays, vacations with no problem, and no loss of progress. No plateaus either. Good stuff.
  • kmard81
    Options
    I just see what she gets to eat doing low carb and it looks yummier than what I get to eat, lol!
  • R_Queenie
    R_Queenie Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I think that life without carbs is not worth living. All things in moderation.

That being said, I am generally unwilling to do anything that I can not "live" with. So if your low-carb is something that doesn't sound like what you want to do for as long as you want to keep your weight off - then it might not be the best plan for weight loss?

No stats to back this up. Just my thoughts. Hope you find a plan that works for you!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    From experience, would you say it is more effective to loose weight via calorie counting or low carb? I have been working out and doing low cal but a friend works out and does low carb. We are both loosing, but I am finding it hard to keep motivation.

I think tracking your intake is a good move for accuracy reasons.
    I think your carbohydrate intake should be dictated by individual factors. Some people may do well on a low carb diet, others will suffer and be miserable.

But my overall point is that they are not mutually exclusive.
  • kmard81
    Options
    I think that life without carbs is not worth living. All things in moderation.

That being said, I am generally unwilling to do anything that I can not "live" with. So if your low-carb is something that doesn't sound like what you want to do for as long as you want to keep your weight off - then it might not be the best plan for weight loss?

No stats to back this up. Just my thoughts. Hope you find a plan that works for you!

very good point!
  • kaseyAnne425
    kaseyAnne425 Posts: 230
    Options
    I honestly would rather count my calories and do low-cal options than low-carb. I feel like you're more limited on low-carb foods, especially if you love pasta like I do! You can eat anything you want with a low-cal plan.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I just see what she gets to eat doing low carb and it looks yummier than what I get to eat, lol!
    If someone has IR, diabetes etc a low carb diet does help in many ways. If you can't control your sugar demons from refined carbs and added sugars in foods, low carb is another good way to control that. Otherwise it doesn't make any difference in weight loss.