Too much protein??

bethoneill
bethoneill Posts: 5
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
My protein intake is always over the alotted amount...wil that work against me?

Replies

• My protein intake is always over the alotted amount...wil that work against me?
  • Fifty
    Fifty Posts: 17
    no your protein will help build muscle and make you feel full. what do you eat for protein alot of meat?
  • a mix....edamame, cottage cheese, bars.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    They've told me that going over "alittle bit" on your protein is ok, but not TOO much over.
    When I came here 3 months ago and started logging my foods, I found that I had a HUGE problem with too much protein. I've cut way down and now most days I'm under, or just barely over on the protein, and I've been steadily losing every week.
  • lisabeavers
    lisabeavers Posts: 115
    i think the protein estimates here are low. personally, i don't think you should go below 100 g of fat, especially if you still have a long way to go in weight loss. it helps build muscle, digesting it raises your metabolism, and it helps you stay fuller longer.
  • geregam
    geregam Posts: 17 Member
    Well, it depends on your exercise level as well. If you are doing a lot of weight/strength training, more protein is a good thing, as it will help your body rebuild the muscle tissue that you're destroying as part of the weight training cycle. Even if you're trying to lose weight, you have to give your body the necessary nutrients, otherwise you'll lose the "wrong" weight (i.e. muscle weight instead of fat weight).

I've actually customized the suggested levels by moving my protein percentage from 15% to 20%, and decreasing my fat % from 30% to 25%, but I'm also strength training 4 days a week for about an 50 minutes a day, plus running 2 miles during those days and doing additional cardio 2 days a week. With that schedule, my body needs the protein to rebuild.
This discussion has been closed.