Calling all College Students

Options
This is the hardest part of the year for me. Work, school, homework and church books my schedule. Some where in there I need to fit eating and working out. So this year I'm going to get a head start and try to work out a plan.
I tried the 5:30am work out this morning and I'm sorry to report I had the snooze button syndrome so that just wasn't happening for me. Maybe tomorrow. ( I even went to bed at 9:30pm) My plan is to write my weekly schedule and than a daily one to make sure I fit in my work outs and eating. (I tend to forget to eat when I'm so busy). Any one else have a plan that will help them get threw this semester and stay on track with there work outs feel free to share.

Replies

• pollard55
    pollard55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast shakes are really helpful when the school day gets too crazy-- all you do is grab it and drink it and it helps you stay on track with your nutrition. You could get the Dannon breakfast smoothies too. I also make sure I carry a granola bar in case I get hungry so I'm not tempted to stop at one of the greasy campus grinds for a quick bite. As far as exercise goes, I work around my classes and try to walk as much as possible, take the stairs, etc. I've also been walking a couple of extra blocks to work/class by getting off the bus a few blocks away from where I need to go, but if you're running late that's kind of tough to do. You could also try a workout video that's made for those on a tight schedule. The ones that are 10-15 minutes don't take very long but tend to fit a lot in. You could put weights in your bag as well for some extra calorie burn on the way to class. It's really tough but every little extra calorie counts!
  • pollard55
    pollard55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also suggest trying to do a couple of reps of crunches and maybe push ups when you get out of bed and maybe when you get home before you dive into your homwork. Jumping jacks are also great for waking up and getting some cardio. I've heard 2 minutes of jump rope is almost equivalent to 20 minutes of walking too, so you might give that a try. Oh and when I have a lot of exams coming up I try to walk outside or get on the elliptical while I study notecards-- burns calories and forces me to actually take time to look at my notes/notecards.
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    I feel the same way, and was worried about the start of school throwing me off track. I have been trying to get up early as well- at 6am. However, I hit the snooze this morning too :(
    School started last week for me, and I am already overloaded with material to study. So I study for a couple hours in the AM before I jog. Jogging is my reward to myself after sitting infront of the texts so long. I pack lunch, snacks, and water in my school bag. I have been trying to do weight training at home in the evening after work & school. I don't go to the gym, I feel that driving to the gym takes too much time that I don't have. The half hour in the car to the gym and half hour back, is just wasted time. I also have an hour & a half break between my classes one day a week, so when winter hits I am thinking about utilizing the gym on campus & hitting the treadmill. Although I feel like work & school is overwhelming, I refuse to allow it to take away my "me" time- and that's what working out & eating right has become for me- my treat to myself. I also know that when I eat right & exercise, I have better brain function, less stress, and increased endurance. So I know in the long run, getting up an hour early to exercise pays off more so than that extra hour in bed would. I formulated a schedule as well- of what I need to get done everyday, what I need to study, etc. I think that's the only way to do it. I wish you luck, I am in the same situation and all we can do is try our best.
  • mlipsey
    Options
    *Pollard55 thanks for the tips. I do 100 crunches and 10-20 pushups every other night. Those push-ups kick my butt.
    * ysaidpie I'm going to try and use my gym this semester at school. Its free. My only hurdle is some days my classes end at 9 but I also have a 24hr gym in my apt complex which is a plus