Just curious about UK clothes size...

Options
Well ladies, I was hoping someone out there could shed some light on a little question I have about clothes sizing in particular skinny jeans from the UK retailer Next. I am 5'3" and currently weighing in at 153lbs. now when I first came on MFP I weighed nearly 180 and was needing a size 20 in jeans from next. I don't live near Next so I have to order online and since losing weight I have not bought any new clothes to be able to gauge a size that would be best for me... does anyone have the same height and weight as me with an idea as to what size I should orde online....

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Replies

• moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i weigh 154 lb and am 5.5" i wear a size 14 in jeans some are a tiny bit loose but a 12 is way to small hope this helps
  • stickwithit2013
    stickwithit2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You'll find this website useful: http://sizes.darkgreener.com/

You put in your measurements and it tells you what retailers have the best fit; really shows how they make up clothes sizes as they go along!
  • Sauleeh
    Sauleeh Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and 140lbs. I wear between a size 10-12, some size 10 fit prefectly, some are tight. Same as size 12, but most of size 12 on me are a bit loose!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the website doesn't have a size guide- they usually do.
  • trishmetson
    Options
    I'm English, and you will need to add a size for UK clothing.
    When I came to the states I was a 12 in England, in the states I could fit a 10/11. It's the opposite for shoes, size 6 in England is an 8 in the US.
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would say 14 US so I guess that would be a 16 in the UK, You can always exchange if needed!
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    Most websites will have a size guide. That will be your best bet. See which measurements match up. Someone who is the same height and weight as you could have very different measurements depending on body composition.
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

You put in your measurements and it tells you what retailers have the best fit; really shows how they make up clothes sizes as they go along!

That's am interesting read. Thanks for the website x
  • misstammy123
    misstammy123 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i weigh 154 lb and am 5.5" i wear a size 14 in jeans some are a tiny bit loose but a 12 is way to small hope this helps

thank you
  • misstammy123
    misstammy123 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • skinnysushicat
    skinnysushicat Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft1 and 140lb and wear a Next size 10. I think you would be a 12. I find their sizing generous , as in most shops I'm a 12 or even 14.
  • AnDiallo
    AnDiallo Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When I was at 153lb I was in a UK size 12
    Now at 146 i'm between 10 and 12
    I am 5'4'' for reference
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options

That's a great website! I'm sure it's not perfect, but it seems pretty accurate for the brands of clothing that I own. I am in the USA and sometimes want to buy UK clothing online but am really unsure of the sizing, so this will be a great tool. Thank you!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

That's a great website! I'm sure it's not perfect, but it seems pretty accurate for the brands of clothing that I own. I am in the USA and sometimes want to buy UK clothing online but am really unsure of the sizing, so this will be a great tool. Thank you!

It varies from shop to shop though. You really are better using the sizing guide on the particular website.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm English, and you will need to add a size for UK clothing.
    When I came to the states I was a 12 in England, in the states I could fit a 10/11. It's the opposite for shoes, size 6 in England is an 8 in the US.

There's a 2 size difference. I was a UK 12 when I went to the US and bought size 8 there. I'm now back to that size and actually my US size 8s a a bit loose.

I'm 5'6 and 154lbs, and generally fit a 12 in trousers. I'm not sure about Next though, I haven't bought anything from there in ages.