Sugar is in everything! Help!

Options
I am shocked at how much sugar is in everything from waffles to bread to yogurt. How do I cut down without using artificial sweeteners?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Get plain yogurt and add your own fruit and a bit of honey if needed. Make waffles from scratch. Bread too if you have the time.

If you don't have a medical reason to avoid sugar, don't worry about it, especially if the majority is coming from fruits and veggies....I quit tracking sugar over a year ago - hasn't seemed to hinder my progress any.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    There is no need to worry about sugar unless you have a medical reason to do so. Personally I believe you should get most of your sugar intake from natural sugars instead of added or refined sugars.

For yogurt, don't buy the fruit flavoured yogurts. Get plain, add in your own fruit and if you need some extra sweetness add in honey, a touch of sugar, agave, or sweeteners (I personally don't believe there is anything wrong with sweeteners and have yet to see any real research stating that they are bad). Waffles are super easy to make if you get a waffle maker (again add sweetness by adding in a homemade fruit syrup or sauce). Make your own breads or go for the whole grain ones ... check your labels.
  • Subzeromambo
    Subzeromambo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a medical condition that makes artificial sweeteners dangerous. Certain sugars are okay such as sugars in maple syrup but agave, cane sugar and corn syrup can lead to hospitalization for me. Thank you both for the advice.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Look into paleo or primal eating, such as Whole9.
  • Subzeromambo
    Options
    I am very intrigued by the Paleo diet. My surgeon said to wait another year before trying it. He has had a couple of patients without colons end up with temporary but painful intestinal blockages. I know there are other people with sugar intolerances. I was hoping someone would speak up about how they choose their foods.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    That must be very difficult for you.

I am a diabetic so I am careful with my choices. The other responders have offered good advice.

Have you looked at any of the alternative sweeteners that are natural. For example, Stevia. You can even grow your own stevia plant. I had one once but I'm not good with potted plants. :blushing: You would need to carefully check it out - no point risking illness, but there are heaps of alternative sweeteners out there.

Otherwise just try to eat natural sugars in fruit and vegetables and choose the low gi and low sugar options such as wholewheat pasta, grainy breads, natural yoghurt. I don't know if carbs are an issue for you, but as a diabetic I have to limit all carbs because they are just complex sugars.

Best wishes for your journey.
  • Subzeromambo
    Options
    I am on my way to the store for Stevia! It appears the only two sweeteners I can eat are maple syrup and Stevia. I also eat gluten-free so I restrict the carbs too. I am very impressed with your weight loss! It is very inspirational.