NEED FEEDBACK

Options
I am currently reading The New Rules of Lifting for Women to prepare myself to begin strength training. Since protein shakes are a big deal, my question is: What are the best brands as far as the taste? I see all kinds of threads asking what to add to it to make it taste better but are there any brands that are good just as they are?

Replies

• thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You don't need a protein shake. If you can get enough protein from real food don't worry about the shakes. I personally hate the taste of the store bought protein shakes. The odd time I drink a protein shake I make my own with peanut butter, a banana, some greek yogurt, milk and some ice normally. Sometimes I add in some cocoa powder. If you do decide to go for a protein shake you need to just experiment. One that I like you may not.. everyone has different tastes.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are what people use to reach their daily protein goals when they have trouble doing so through food alone. They aren't necessary but can be helpful.

I personally like Trutein Chocolate PB Cup and Optimum Nutrition Extreme Milk Chocolate.
  • amberlynn2687
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I am usually fairly low on protein so I thought I'd try the shakes. Being a very picky eater I need all the help I can get. LOL!
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I like Quest bars better than shakes (cocout cashew, chocolate brownie and chocolate peanut are my favorites)--20 grams of protein, very low net carbs, tasty, convenient, easy to carry around, no washing of the blender.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    if your goal is weight loss and you feel you can't get all your protein from foods such as Chicken/Turkey/Tuna etc.. then look to get Whey Isolate. You don't need to buy any fancy well branded one either. Loads of places sell decent whey at a fraction of the cost these people try and sell you in health stores.
  • amberlynn2687
    Options
    I like Quest bars better than shakes (cocout cashew, chocolate brownie and chocolate peanut are my favorites)--20 grams of protein, very low net carbs, tasty, convenient, easy to carry around, no washing of the blender.

Thank you, I've tried a few kinds of protein bars and found them pretty disgusting. I'll have to look for that one and give it a try, I've heard others mention it as well.
  • amberlynn2687
    Options
    if your goal is weight loss and you feel you can't get all your protein from foods such as Chicken/Turkey/Tuna etc.. then look to get Whey Isolate. You don't need to buy any fancy well branded one either. Loads of places sell decent whey at a fraction of the cost these people try and sell you in health stores.

Thanks, I've got some researching to do. I'm really new at all this so I don't know all the different types.
  • janinealfke
    Options
    Hi,

I agree it's better to get your protein from food, however I use a whey protein isolate mix with low carb milk before I go to the gym to workout every day. There are many kinds and I have found few that I actually like. WalMart has one by Body Fortress that comes in Chocolate, strawberry and Chocolate Peanut Butter...the choc peanut butter tastes very strongly of peanut butter. I cannot taste any chocolate in it whatsoever. I also use Dymatize from GNC in the rich chocolate flavor. It's fair. If you're going to use a protein shake, make sure it is low carb...(under 8g), and low sugar (less than 5g). So many of them are high in sugar which translates to carbs. No one is doing themselves a favor with too many carbohydrates. Best of luck!!

Janine Alfke
  • amberlynn2687
    Options
    Low carb, low sugar. Gotcha. Thanks!
  • weightlossdiva1219
    weightlossdiva1219 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Just buy a tub of whey protein powder (chocolate or vanilla) and make your own. I personally like to add a banana, blueberries, ice cubes, fat free milk, 1 cup yogurt of choice, and the powder and blend it. Also, you don't NEED shakes. After a workout, try eating an egg white omelette or some chicken. Avocados, almonds, and chocolate milk are great post strength training snacks. Eat about 20 minutes after you workout. Also protein bars can be good. I recommend the Luna protein bars: my personal favorite flavor being cookie dough yum. They're a good way to get protein but high in sugar, which is bad for weight loss. So I would suggest protein shakes sometimes but try some good post work out snacks like what I mentioned above that are more natural and lower in bad sugar.
  • amberlynn2687
    Options
    Thank you for the great advice!