Help! Been doing it wrong...

Options
Right, so I think I've been doing this all wrong! Yeah, I've been losing weight (although it does keep fluctuating every time I give up with mfp. But I'm sticking to it this time).

I've literally only been eating 1200 calories a day, because I thought that was my calorie goal. But it's really the net goal, right? So if I didn't move from my bed all day that would be the goal according to mfp (I know about tdee etc). So, if I worked out, I could eat more, yes? I feel like if I don't eat more than 1200 calories on days that I exercise, my body goes into starvation mode, making it impossible to lose weight.

Just after a bit of advice about it all really!

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You aren't going into starvation mode and it won't stop you from losing but it will make life miserable. 1200 is an awfully low budget for anyone to be eating to start with and if you are exercising and not eating any of that back I don't doubt you are hungry and tired.

I'd seriously think about resetting your goal to a less aggressive one and eat back at least some exercise calories. You don't give your stats but from the amount you are looking to lose your body will need a lot more than 1200 calories to function. If you've been doing this before and failed, that was probably the reason. If you set an unsustainable goal you aren't going to stick with it.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Yes you're suppose to NET 1200 calories. This is why when you add exercise to your journal it gives you extra calories to eat.

Mine is set to 1410 right now, I eat back 80% of my exercise calories (elliptical calories can be exaggerated a little on MFP). Some days I'm grossing 1800 calories, I'm losing weight just fine.

The problem is that when people eat 1200 calories and exercise extra off, their NET calories are wayyy too low, not leaving enough for even their organs or brain to run properly. When this happens, our body can't use just our fat stores, it must use lean muscle mass. Over time, if enough lean muscle mass is lost, it will lower your metabolism and can be extremely difficult to repair.

I'd say the most accurate term is Metabolic Damage, not Starvation mode.
  • NattG525
    NattG525 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Your replies made things clearer, and now I know where I've been going wrong! Much appreciated :)