Need Help-Doing the Right Thing for Several Weeks-Feedback

Options
Okay, I asked for help a few weeks ago since I hadn't lost in three months and changed my ways. I lost four pounds immediately, then have started another non-losing streak. I increased my protein and upped my calories based on TDEE - 20% or 15, I can't remember which. I did use the sedentary setting because I haven't really gotten any exercise in. I am trying more with vegetables but unless they go in my shake, its still hard to chew those. I have been eating steamed and they still make my mouth hurt or a bit. I have started the process of getting my teeth fixed but its going to take time. To make a long story short, can you go back in my diary a few weeks and see if there is something else I could be doing or is this a case of I screwed up my metabolism with the anorexia years ago and I just need to give it more time to heal before I worry about losing? For more info, somewhere on here is a post about my past with anorexia and what its done. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1024330-really-need-some-advice

Replies

• jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm not so up on the exact numbers as I'm still figuring out what works for me, but for your issues with vegetables have you tried pureed soups? We eat a lot of pureed soups in our house because our toddler is a bit fussy about textures and her foods being all mixed together.

This is one of my favorite. I make it very similarly except no cayenne pepper (put all spicy things on the side, toddler), and I toast cumin and mustard seeds in about 1 tbsp of ghee/butter, and I have never added mint to it. Lentils are an excellent protein source as well.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/turkish-red-lentil-soup

Good for you for working so hard to get healthy!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything accurately?

Your sodium has been a little high sometimes so you may be carrying extra water weight.
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Had a quick look at your diary and saw you eat minimal fruits and veg which is a big thing to look at! Have you tried steaming the vegetables? They become really soft so maybe you could be able to eat it without it hurting your mouth. There's also a whole lot of soft fruits you could try! Another thing I saw was quite a bit of processed foods which are normally not very nutritious + also have lots of sodium in them. :)

You can actually pretty much blend anything now I think of it! I have tried blending spinach and whatever else is in the fridge to get my veggies in. Tastes pretty good :)

Looked at the link and I definitely think you should be eating more calories than 1300 if your BMR is almost 1600.

Hope this helps and hang in there!! :)
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    U r never going to lose weight unless you are at a calorie deficit. If you are not losing, you are eating to much. If you were losing, and you were losing muscle instead of fat.. I'd say increase calories. But your not. If you have fat to lose, you will lose it at a deficit.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Also, you are mostly eating junk food.. drop the ice cream and lasagna.. add more lean proteins, fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, sweet potatoes, eggs, greek yogurt, veggies.
  • MichelleBogart
    MichelleBogart Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything accurately?

Your sodium has been a little high sometimes so you may be carrying extra water weight.

Yeah, I don't have a scale but I started using measuring cups/spoons and found that actually I tend to overestimate what the measurement is! I was shocked at that. Its just frustrating because I really am trying and if you go further back you can see how much I have changed. I am not giving in, I still wonder if I need more time to re-adjust. And yeah, the sodium has been high, I wondered if I should have waiting a few days to weigh.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Try nuking your veggies & do your steaming in those Ziplock steam n serve bags. You can mix in your spices and you can re-use the bags a few times. It's quick n easy so you may eat more veg that way?
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    Also, you are mostly eating junk food.. drop the ice cream and lasagna.. add more lean proteins, fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, sweet potatoes, eggs, greek yogurt, veggies.

If you go back further, you will see that the lasagna was just the last couple of days. It was leftovers from a restaurant and is not representative of what I have been eating mostly. As for lean proteins, I am eating the only kinds I can right now without my teeth being fixed. And you didn't go back far enough because I have been eating enough eggs that I should be a chicken. LOL
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    Try nuking your veggies & do your steaming in those Ziplock steam n serve bags. You can mix in your spices and you can re-use the bags a few times. It's quick n easy so you may eat more veg that way?

Other than that, if you go far enough back, does it look okay? I don't think the lack of veggies is keeping me from losing, I think I just need it for more healthy choices. Since I did over a year on the 1200 calories and have that anorexia in the past, I am leaning towards giving my body more time to heal my metabolism. It is frustrating though.
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    I'm not so up on the exact numbers as I'm still figuring out what works for me, but for your issues with vegetables have you tried pureed soups? We eat a lot of pureed soups in our house because our toddler is a bit fussy about textures and her foods being all mixed together.

This is one of my favorite. I make it very similarly except no cayenne pepper (put all spicy things on the side, toddler), and I toast cumin and mustard seeds in about 1 tbsp of ghee/butter, and I have never added mint to it. Lentils are an excellent protein source as well.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/turkish-red-lentil-soup

Good for you for working so hard to get healthy!

I actually hadn't thought of pureed soups, I was about to take the frozen veggies and put them in my shake. LOL
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    Had a quick look at your diary and saw you eat minimal fruits and veg which is a big thing to look at! Have you tried steaming the vegetables? They become really soft so maybe you could be able to eat it without it hurting your mouth. There's also a whole lot of soft fruits you could try! Another thing I saw was quite a bit of processed foods which are normally not very nutritious + also have lots of sodium in them. :)

You can actually pretty much blend anything now I think of it! I have tried blending spinach and whatever else is in the fridge to get my veggies in. Tastes pretty good :)

Looked at the link and I definitely think you should be eating more calories than 1300 if your BMR is almost 1600.

Hope this helps and hang in there!! :)

Thanks, I have made a ton of changes since that post I made a month or so ago. I eat at 1600 now and do really well making my macros. I eat tons of soft proteins-wish there were more of them! I know my salt has been high the last few days, that's why I asked people to go back a couple weeks in my diary to actually get a good picture. I have been eating so many eggs that I should be a chicken!
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    bump-anyone else? You really do have to do back more than one week, this hasn't been a typical week for me.
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    One more bump? Maybe I should post on weekdays. :)
  • MichelleBogart
    Options
    bumping for a weekday. :smile: