no HFCS peanut butter jelly or bread?

Options
or am I dreaming?OR am i being silly?I dont know what to believe.....High fructose corn syrup?is it as bad as ive heard?I dot have the time or money to prepare whats best for me...so Im trying to do as good as i can
I was thiking sandwiches for lunch perhaps

Replies

• Angelgranny2007
    Options
    I think it's a lot of hype personally.
  • glitterygirl88
    Options
    I think it's a lot of hype personally.

i kinda thought so.....lol
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Nothing good has ever come from HFCS. Peanut Butter is fine. Bread is debatable (but at least choose a whole grain option instead of white).
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    PB&J sandwhiches are an okay option!

but I would wheat bread instead of white bread... Peanut butter is a good source of protein. and you could pick up sugar free jelly (which actually taste like regular jelly to me) at Aldi. Eating healthy doesn't mean cutting out everything that is bad for you - it means eating in moderation the things you love, and cutting high sugary items with low sugar healthy items.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I found this article on the Mayo Clinic website:
    Question
    High-fructose corn syrup: What are the concerns?High-fructose corn syrup seems to be a common ingredient in many foods. What are the concerns about high-fructose corn syrup?
    Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    High-fructose corn syrup is a common sweetener and preservative. High-fructose corn syrup is made by changing the sugar (glucose) in cornstarch to fructose — another form of sugar. The end product is a combination of fructose and glucose. Because it extends the shelf life of processed foods and is cheaper than sugar, high-fructose corn syrup has become a popular ingredient in many sodas, fruit-flavored drinks and other processed foods.

So far, research has yielded conflicting results about the effects of high-fructose corn syrup. For example, various early studies showed an association between increased consumption of sweetened beverages (many of which contained high-fructose corn syrup) and obesity. But recent research — some of which is supported by the beverage industry — suggests that high-fructose corn syrup isn't intrinsically less healthy than other sweeteners, nor is it the root cause of obesity.

While research continues, moderation remains important. Many beverages and other processed foods made with high-fructose corn syrup and other sweeteners are high in calories and low in nutritional value. Regularly including these products in your diet has the potential to promote obesity — which, in turn, promotes conditions such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and coronary artery disease.

If you're concerned about the amount of high-fructose corn syrup or other sweeteners in your diet, consider these tips:

■Limit processed foods.
    ■Avoid foods that contain added sugar.
    ■Choose fresh fruit rather than fruit juice or fruit-flavored drinks. Even 100 percent fruit juice has a high concentration of sugar.
    ■Choose fruit canned in its own juices instead of heavy syrup.
    ■Drink less soda.
    ■Don't allow sweetened beverages to replace milk, especially for children.

I personally love Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    me too. there are people who'll tell you it's poisonous, it's the devil. But as for me...eh. It is calorie dense, so reducing it will improve your nutritional value of your food, but trying to eliminate it altogether is 1. hard and 2. probably unnecessary.

but some folks like to eat in very regimented ways, vegans and such, and if that's what makes you feel good then have at it!
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I eat regular peanut butter and jelly all the time. I have lost almost 44 lbs to date. Hasn't really been an issue with me...

All I can say is MEASURE YOUR PORTIONS! haha that's what will get you with peanut butter. I could eat a whole jar of it.
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    if you buy organic of any of those things it will not have high fructose corn syrup in it.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Some of the newer studies coming out show that HFCS stimulates the gherlin production in your body and decreases the leptin. Gherlin is the hormone that stimulates hunger and leptin is the counter hormone that tells you when you're full. I agree with Lucky...do what you think is right. Personally...if people didn't eat something 100 years ago...I try to not eat it either.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    if you buy organic of any of those things it will not have high fructose corn syrup in it.

Agreed!!!!!!
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    We eliminated it as much as possible. It's not natural. So why put it in my body?
    I have noticed that eliminating it along with other processed foods, makes me feel better. I sleep better and I don't tend to have all the cravings that I used to.

If you purchase the organic jelly, it will not have it in there. Plus it's very close in price as other jelly's, but tastes WAY better.
    Go with the natural peanut butter. It tastes so much better as well. Skippy makes a natural peanut butter with honey that is wonderful. As for bread, Pepperidge Farms Deli Flats. They do not contain HFCS and they are only 100 calories.

Also my philosophy is that if doesn't rot or go bad, don't put it in my body..
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    There are so many budget friendly options that do not rely on processed sugars (or grains for that matter). Health food stores sell peanut butters without added junk at a reasonable price. For that matter, Smuckers does also in the regular grocery store for a few cents more than pb with palm oil and sugar. The Smuckers natural is made from peanuts and I think a trace amount of salt. We keep it in the fridge.

Ultimately, it is personal preference whether you eliminate or reduce the amount of HFCS in your diet. I tend to agree, however, with the poster who mentioned that if they didn't eat it 100 years ago, I try not to either. Food in its purest form provides all the nutrients we need.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid Peanut Butter and Jelly simply because it's so high in sugar (but I do LOVE IT). I do feel that HFCS is probably the root of all evil, but I'm not a nut about it. It's in so many things I wouldn't begin to know how to avoid it entirely and honestly, who has that much time on their hands? It's not something I'm going to lose sleep over. I'm a big believer in "everything in moderation."

My favorite sandwich is Turkey Breast and Avocado. Mmmmm....
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    HCFS is bad. It's processed like crazy. Best to avoid it. Going organic is a good way.
  • skinnytayy
    Options
    Knowthelies.com -- read it ... you'll be surprised at what you read about HFCS. It's not just hype .. There is proof all around us. Look at how many overweight/obese people are in the U.S. and then look at all the food that contains HFCS.
  • skinnytayy
    Options
    Knowthelies.com -- read it ... you'll be surprised at what you read about HFCS. It's not just hype .. There is proof all around us. Look at how many overweight/obese people are in the U.S. and then look at all the food that contains HFCS.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I am avoiding HFCS as part of a general change to my life - I believe that the combination of all the processed junk that people eat is what is causing the obesity problems we see today. HFCS is just part of that. Why would I want to put stuff in me that has been so highly processed that it isn't even comparable to its original form? There are plenty of unprocessed (or very lightly processed) foods out there that are delicious and more nutritious...so to me, even if HFCS isn't "that bad"... it's not worth it!

There is natural peanut butter and jelly out there that have no HFCS...I think peanut butter that is 100% peanuts is so much yummier than the PB with added sugars/oils. I don't eat too much bread anymore, because I think there are healthier grains I could be eating, but there are some types (like Nature's Own) that have no HFCS, and of course you could always make your own if you have time!
  • or am I dreaming?OR am i being silly?I dont know what to believe.....High fructose corn syrup?is it as bad as ive heard?I dot have the time or money to prepare whats best for me...so Im trying to do as good as i can
    I was thiking sandwiches for lunch perhaps

http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/fructose_dangers.html
    http://www.sweetsurprise.com/myths-and-facts/faqs-high-fructose-corn-syrup/fructose?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=high+fructose+corn+syrup&utm_content=Fructose&utm_campaign=CaloricSweeteners
    http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/
    http://www.tuberose.com/HighFructoseCornSyrup.html

These are a few sites that discuss this issue. I can certainly say that I've found more info that is negative, but you can look up more info online. I have my own opinion ... Stay away from refined sugar and HFCS altogether .... But that is just an opinion.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Just as bad for you as cane/fruit sugar. But, in my opinion, no worse. :wink:

However, my usual bread doesn't contain HFCS and my peanut butter has no added sugar in any form so it's pretty easy to avoid if you're looking to avoid it.