Anyone have experience of aqua jog?

Options
Has anyone done aqua jog before? If so is this just in a class or 'freestyle' in public swimming sessions among the swimmers? Has anyone seen benefits and how does this compare calorie wise? Been recommended by my physio but not tried it yet,I normally run at least 5 times a week.

Replies

• Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I have to say I personally haven't done it, but I recently saw a lady at my local pool aqua jogging. She was on her own & stayed at the top quarter of the deep end doing her thing. Couldn't personally comment on the benefits & obviously don't know how effectively it is personally. However, the woman doing it looked in great shape & very lean muscle, sculpted body composition if that helps :wink:

http://www.aquajogger.com/
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,891 Member
    Options
    I work in an Aquatic Rehab facility and the PTs prescribe quite a bit of aqua jogging. Most of our people use a floatation belt. You need to keep upright and just use arms and legs as if you were jogging or bicycling. The water provides resistance but floatation means no impact, good for joints and back problems. As far as calorie burning it depends on how much effort you put into it. We are a rehab unit so work mostly with people with injuries or post surgery. We do not stress speed or effort. Twenty minutes of water walking is said to be equal to one hour of regular walking so I would guess the calorie burn is similar. Hope this helps. SD
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    In the same position myself... Not enjoying being unable to run. I am trying this for the first time today, it will also be the first time I have worn bathers in about 2 years (more scared of not being able to run than showing white skin in public) lol. I used to be a squad swimmer many years ago so it will be strange 'running' instead of cranking out the laps.

Where I live they don't have classes for it; I think some of the rehab places have their own small tank things (not sure what they are called). I am just going to use the university pool. It is winter here so I should be able to find a little spot that is out of the way of the lap swimmers to put my head down and do my thing.

Goodluck & I hope you are back running soon.
  • melrunnerbean
    Options
    I tried to do it the day before using a floatation belt.

I can't run either as i had major back surgery in Feb. I used to run 7 days a week and I've done loads of races before i got injured!

It's hard work due to the resistance and your meant to burn more calories aqua jogging than running outside as water is denser than air.

I did 25m and had enough as it was so hard and i'm used to exercising. I'm a qualified gym instructor...

I did swim 2500m before that though!
  • janinealfke
    Options
    Hi,

I just began water aerobics about a month ago. I go every single day. I have class Tues and Thurs and the other 5 days I repeat what we do in class. I go to the class for joint problems as my knees are horrible. I jog in the pool forward, backward, sideways and do jumping jacks and carry buoyed weights to build muscle in my upper body. It's a very good cardio workout for me. I have had weight loss surgery and the first week that I went to the pool I lost 1 lb every day! Now I lose 2-3 a week. My hips and thighs are where the remaining weight is on me and my husband said I am shrinking right in front of him. He NEVER says anything like that. I have lost 282 lbs and he barely says a thing....but yesterday said my behind is getting smaller....so yes, doing water aerobics can be very beneficial in your weight loss goal. I highly recommend it. Feel free to friend me if you like.....Best of luck!!

Janine Alfke
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Growing up my Grandma and Aunts use to jog around in a circle in an above ground pool, then switch around and job against the current. As a kid it was just fun, I have tried doing it now as an adult and while still fun and a bit of a workout it isn't the same burn as out of water. I swim including water jogging in this insane heat just so I can say I exercised and not get out of the habit of doing so.
    It is surely better than doing absolutely nothing. If you enjoy it, do it!
  • Grrrrleo
    Grrrrleo Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks for your help folks, much appreciated.first class is tomorrow evening!