Ladies: Birth Control Options

Options
A little more than 2 years ago I weighed in at 185 lbs. Then I got on birth control. BOOM! Within 6 months I gained 40 lbs. I have since went off that pill and switched to condoms (no hormones there!). I was on "tri - something" I don't remember what. I need suggestions on what has worked for others. Or what have you done to fix it? I need to get back on BC, put am so scared to put on another 40, when I haven't even lost the original 40! Please help...

Replies

• xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Im on Ortho, been on it for years and never gained an ounce.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Don't know of any you should try, I got my tubes tied because we are done having children and I didn't want to have to take a pill or something for ever. I had the Depo shot for a few months after my daughter was born and before my tubes were tied, stay away from it, it was horrible!!! Good luck!!
  • blackchick85
    Options
    i am on tri-nessa and its actually helped me lose and maintain i think..... no weight gain since i have been on it
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I would ask your doctor about lower hormone pill options. I was on Alesse for years because the hormones were pretty low (trying to avoid migraines). I didn't gain much weight (<10). I did gain 15 lbs after going OFF of the pill though. :grumble: But it could just be that you're more prone to weight gain on synthetic hormones. I'd talk to your doctor about your concerns and see if they can find something right for you.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Paragard. A non-hormonal IUD that prevents pregnancy for up to 10 years.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with the Nuva Ring. I don't have to think about it every day and it hasn't been an issue as far as the weight goes. Years ago, I gained weight when I was on Ortho Tri-Cyclen, so won't go back to that one!
  • bellanean
    Options
    I would say everything works differently for everyone. I have been on depo for 3 years and never gained a pound from it, but most women will tell you they gained so much from it. Its something you might just need to play around with and see whats best for you.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena IUD and the hormones in the plastic don't really act outside the uterus so you won't likely experience weight-gain. It's good for 5 years. There is an IUD that is copper, no hormones there, and it lasts for 10 years but I had a friend who thought the heavy periods and cramps were bad with the copper IUD and she swapped it out for the Mirena. Ask your dr. if it's right for you! (that's my drug ad disclaimer;)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I went on Depo and tried to quit smoking at the same time. I was very aware of the effect this would have on my body and started exercising more and actually lost weight.

It's not the birth control itself that makes you lose weight, it's when you let the hormones take control and start eating and being unaware of what you're doing to your body.

You might be hungrier (that's the hormones) so do the usual of filling up on lower calories foods and if you have a craving it's okay to indulge a little bit but don't get to crazy. It's a matter of self-control and awareness. Speak with your doc and they'll also have some great suggestions for you because it's very likely they've encountered this a lot.

Good luck!
  • codyaucoin
    Options
    I would NEVER recommend depo ... it was terrible when my GF had it. 60lbs in a YEAR + many other things.
  • dcturcotte
    Options
    Hope you don't mind a male weighing in.

My wife had problems with B/C messing with her hormones so about 2 years ago I bought her the IUD and it has proven to be a good option
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    often, a pill that is named tri-anything will cause more weight gain. The hormone levels change throughout the month and so your cravings for snacks, etc. also go up. I am having better luck with Levora (generic for Levlen) which is a monophasic. That means it delivers the same dose of hormone all month long and so less fluctuations means less cravings, etc. Another benefit is (if I so desire), I can start taking a new pill pack immediately upon reaching the last active pill in the pack I'm on, and I can completely skip having a period. I just had to move, and having my period while I was moving would have been a big hassle. So I just skipped it. I like it a lot!
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    A method my friend uses is taking the pill every other day.

I'm taking the mini pill (since I was breastfeeding) and I haven't notice it affecting my weight loss.
    I didn't pay attention to it before though. I also don't take it everyday - some days I just forget but don't concern myself with catching up.
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Im on the nuva ring... I LOVE it... I stopped smoking when I got on it, so I did gain about 10 lbs. I heard YAZ is great for no weight gain.
  • BeccyBerry
    Options
    I've got the coil (not the mirena the other one)

I'm rubbish at taking the pill it makes me gain weight and i'm terrible for remembering to take it. The doctor suggest the mirena which I took him up on but I had an awful time with it I put on a shed load and I had awful pregnancy symptoms ALL the time. Then it moved and they lost it for a while which was a complete nightmare. Anyway I had that out and went on to condoms which is such a pain so I went back.

This time the lady that I saw was fantastic she made suggestions and listened to what I had to say, the only option in the end for me was the other coil which I was reluctant to try given the past problems i'd had with my other one but I've had it in a couple of months now and am still steadily losing 1-2lb a week and no horrible side effects other than my periods last a day longer but for me the pros out weigh the cons.

My husband and I are happy with our family and dont want anymore children but despite asking the doctors they wont sterilise me OR give him the snip because in their opinion we are too young (28 & 31)
  • KPaden1221
    Options
    I take Tri-Sprintec it gained about 20 lbs the 1st and 2nd month but that all fell off the 3rd and 4th month once my body was used to it.. and i got back down to where I was when i first started taking the pills.. now i'm just trying to lose my own weight.
  • hmdavis
    Options
    I off birth control for awhile, then a couple months ago picked back up with ortho-tri-cyclen, the generic of it. I gained 7 lbs, and a whole cup size (which I don't need)!!! I was sooo mad, so I switched back to YAZ, which never made me gain any weight, and now I'n trying to loose that 7lbs, plus the rest….the 7lbs is being really stubborn….stupid hormones….hubby has a dr appointment
  • Shash27
    Shash27 Posts: 172
    Options
    I think it's different with everyone.

I was on Nuvaring for over a year and the high hormone dose messed with my sleep and my moods so I wouldn't be surprised if it was messing with my weight.

I just switched to LoEstrin (generic is Junel). It's way less hormones. I'm sleeping better, my boyfriend says "my fuse has gotten longer" and I'm seeing some weight come off (but that could be the eating healthy and exercising :-) ) So far I like it.

Tell your doctor your concerns and you and he/she should be able to find a BC that will work for you.:smile:

Good Luck!!!!
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was on the Nuvaring before my son was born. I loved it. Once my son was born I decided on the Mirena IUD. I have had it since June 2007 and have no complaints. I don't know if I gained weight, but I sure wasn't trying to lose any. Ever since I started to try, I am now losing.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've had a Mirena IUD since December and have managed to lose most of my baby weight (50lbs!) with it in. It is still of course hormonal but its much less than the BC pills, there is also the Paraguard IUD (copper) but its not recommended if you already have heavy periods as it can sometimes make periods worse than they are but is also effective and hormone free. Out of what I have left to lose from my baby weight (10lbs) I've lost 6lbs of it since I started counting my calories here so I think that was really my problem all along. Counting them makes me so much more aware of what I'm consuming that my cravings don't get the best of me.