Half way through day one and only 300 cal left.

So frustrating!!! I decided to start keeping track of my food at 5:00 this morning. 1660 cals a day, it's 1:00 and I've only got 300 left!! Granted, I wasn't planning on eating healthfully today, so I wasn't prepared with anything nutritious. I would be totally ok with 300 cals if I didn't have to go to a BBQ and a movie tonight. ARG! Hope they have some lean chicken and the popcorn will have to be unbuttered. God I love butter.

I just have to remember that eating right will help me get rid of these bright stretch marks that showed up 10 lbs ago. I really love my body, and don't mind that it weighs 200... But having those marks show up on my tummy and arms is just unacceptable. I've got to reign it in and stop eating when I'm happy/sad/bored/excited/socializing/tired/thirsty/depressed/celebrating etc. I need to eat to live, not live to eat.

Though eating is freaking AWESOME!!!

Replies

• dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Any way you exercise? Get you a few extra calories
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Cheat day? You're entitled to a few of those over the course of your life :P
  • jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    Use day one to gauge just how much you need to change your lifestyle. For some people, that means cutting out 1000 calories. For others, its upping it another 5. This is a good learning experience, youve learned the hard way that if you wanna splurge at night, you should be really good all day long. :P

Good luck tomorrow.
  • leed12345
    leed12345 Posts: 21 Member
    Yep...a good workout can net you a little (real) butter on your popcorn. :smile:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I would say, don't worry about it. It's your first day, and it can be a bit of a learning curve. Most importantly, log what you do eat. Going to a bbq will be a bit of a challenge, but try to estimate what you have, and log. It will be good practice. And for tomorrow, and the days to come, start planning better! Try pre-logging your meals for the day early on, so you don't end up in this position again. It takes a bit of practice, that's all. You'll get there! This is a long-term process of changing habits, you don't have to get it all right on the first day. :smile:
  • LivvieO
    LivvieO Posts: 164 Member
    Consider today a cheat day and start again tomorrow. If you want to save the day, jump on youtube and do a 20 minute dance routine or go for a long walk (track your walk with runtastic or runkeeper so the calories burned can be added to your log). The day might have started off relatively badly but you can save it with a little push.
  • kittiesandfarts
    kittiesandfarts Posts: 101 Member
    I don't think cheating on the first day would be very productive lol!
  • Gigsluvscw
    Gigsluvscw Posts: 139 Member
    Enjoy! As long as you plan on getting back on track tomorrow, there's nothing wrong with going over today (I am. :-) I do on weekends and makes it easier to stick with it during the week. Besides, today is National Ice Cream Day! :-)) Just try to drink a little extra water tomorrow to help with the sodium.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Eat sensibly at the BBQ.

Don't eat anything at the cinema, you're going to watch a movie not eat!!

Be more prepared tomorrow.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    I'd get some exercise in.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Do you have time to go for a brisk walk before your BBQ tonight and earn a few extra calories? Walking for 30 minutes will burn about 150 calories.
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    It's amazing once you start tracking your food how much you begin to be aware of how much you really were eating before you started this program. I'm still very new to MFP, but have already lost 3.5 lbs since starting on July 11. I have really begun to think
    about each and every thing I eat and it is a wake up call for me. I love the program so far and it has taught me so much about my old eating habits and why I haven't been able to lose weight. Exercise is key too, it allows you to have that occasional treat to keep you from feeling deprived. I wish you the best of luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you would like to have someone to help motivate and encourage you along the way!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Use day one to gauge just how much you need to change your lifestyle. For some people, that means cutting out 1000 calories. For others, its upping it another 5. This is a good learning experience, youve learned the hard way that if you wanna splurge at night, you should be really good all day long. :P

Good luck tomorrow.

THIS.
  • Gw3nJa
    Gw3nJa Posts: 40 Member
    It happened to me to. I am doing weight watchers and went though and over my point amount by lunch. For me it confirmed what I knew all along, that I had bad eating habits and poor portion control.

My advice is to attempt to eat less for the rest of the day, without starving yourself (although with BBQ I wouldn't blame you if you didn't). Tomorrow;s a new day and know you know a bit more what is and isn't good for you.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    I've had days where I ate 1100 calories for breakfast. I do try to get in extra exercise on days like that. Well, try anyway.
  • jennifersmiles444
    jennifersmiles444 Posts: 118 Member
    Find a Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 workout online and do it now. It's only 20 minutes and it'll 'buy' you calories for this evening. I love popcorn as well...it's part of the movie-going experience I haven't been able to let go of....but movie theater popcorn is soooo calorie-laden. Pick up a bag of Special K popcorn chips on the way. I know they're processed, but they're really tasty and I don't feel deprived at the movies. You can start fresh tomorrow with a better idea of how to spread out your daily calories...this whole thing takes some getting used to:)
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Use the first couple of days just to get used to logging everything, and then start working towards your actual calorie goal. If you start now, and gradually lower your calorie amount over the next, say, two weeks, it won't be too long a wait considering the rest of your life, but you're less likely to quit (in my opinion) if you ease yourself into it.
  • Peachee_6
    Peachee_6 Posts: 14
    I agree. Get a workout in & don't worry if you were perfect today. Day one of tracking everything is usually an eye-opener. I'm almost a week in & still trying to figure out how to cut back on sodium (I'm bloated LOL)
  • 6ofone
    6ofone Posts: 13
    Buttered popcorn is my enemy :laugh:
  • tishglorioso
    tishglorioso Posts: 11 Member
    if u r going to a BBQ try bringing your own stuff 2 grill like veggie bugers WAAAAY healthier and if your going to the movies get a SMALL bag of UNBUTTERED popcorn just think do you want buttered popcorn or do u want a gap between your thighs lol