Going back to school

Options
Viveyp21
Viveyp21 Posts: 65 Member
I am 27 and I just graduated with my first degree but I am not happy with it so I am going to University of North Texas to get the degree I really want. When I first started college I could eat whatever I wanted and not gain because I played softball. Munching on snacks is a HUGE habit when I am studying for a big exam. Any suggestions on a healthy low fat/low cal snacks while I am pulling those crazy all nighters?

Replies

• Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    i stick to fruit usually.. and almonds, or just hold a meal til later in the evening. Good luck!!
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    just keep the MFP app running as you snack and be aware that you can gain weight from it.

my return to college is how i gained 80 pounds that my *kitten* is now burning off.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of bell peppers at all hours. A bit of hummus with them is good too if you want some extra flavor or a pseudo chip/dip feeling, just make sure to measure out a couple tablespoons so you don't end up eating the whole container!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    adderrall keeps me from eating anything lol and helps me study.

as far as snacks? I usually just had a big breakfast and some coffee.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options

is adderrall the reason your wearing that tiki top?
  • Viveyp21
    Viveyp21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of bell peppers at all hours. A bit of hummus with them is good too if you want some extra flavor or a pseudo chip/dip feeling, just make sure to measure out a couple tablespoons so you don't end up eating the whole container!

measuring beforehand is a really good idea
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I went back to uni three years ago! I submit in October YAY!. I am a stress and study eater... My advice is to make a commitment to exercise 5-6 days a week even if it is only half an hour of walking, its great for stress relief. MOST importantly pre-plan healthy snacks, lunches and even tea to take for the hectic days. During exams and really busy periods I wouldn't even worry if I went over my calorie goals as long as the choices I made were healthy ones.
  • trinitylyons01
    trinitylyons01 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I went back to school for my master's in January of this year. It is actually one of the reasons I have not lost any weight since then! I am an emotional and stress eater. Unfortunately, I also eat when I'm bored. Getting these prerequisites out of the way is boring me to tears! I found myself wanting to eat the ENTIRE time I was studying, which is NOT good.

I finally got my butt on track and have started losing those pounds I gained since January. Some tips I have found is always having bite sized fruit or veggies around when I am studying. I started buying seedless grapes and cherries. Red and yellow peppers are really delicious too. So are broccoli, cherry tomatoes or any other raw veggie you like. If you are working out regularly and watching your calories throughout the day you can even add in some ranch dressing for dipping (as long as you measure properly) or hummus. I will also chew gum when I know I am just bored as it keeps my teeth busy in a harmless way! I have heard controversy on how gum is or is not good for you. For me, if it keeps me from eating something I shouldn't be eating it is worth it! LOL

Another thing that appears to help me is being full before I start studying. I will purposely eat a meal right before studying and then drink a bunch of water so I literally feel too full to think of eating. Of course, that only lasts so long but once I get a groove going with school work I do not like to stop. So, it helps me. Also, eat on schedule. Most snacking and bingeing happens when you allow yourself to become famished.

Anyway, good luck to you! You can do this. Try to remember how hard it would be to have to lose those pounds ALL OVER AGAIN! That in and of itself helps me stay on track now. :-)
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options

is adderrall the reason your wearing that tiki top?

nope that reason is beer. tons and tons of beer