Portion Control

Options
What tricks and tips do you use to help you with portion control? That is one of my biggest struggles!

Replies

• Mystyfied
    Mystyfied Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi ...weigh everything religiously, don't estimate, eat from a smaller plate!
  • KatiWelch
    KatiWelch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started but I use a food scale. I also take the food I need then put whatever it was away so I dont see it anymore. And when my family eats dinner we just bring our plates into the dining room and leave the rest in the kitchen.
  • Happy_Harlow
    Options
    I bought a food scale, but I got a cheap one, and I think I rather have a digital one! I'm gonna get a different one instead. I like the idea of smaller plates! I measure as carefully as I can!
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    A food scale, digital is the best bet

try & get one that you can "Tare" that is reset to zero as you add other food to the plate / bowl etc so you can easily enter individual ingredients of your meals without a lot of hassle
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Weigh it if possible if not then try to keep portions no larger then fist sized
  • amy_1987
    amy_1987 Posts: 45
    Options
    Digital food scale for measuring, also I have a giant retro tea-cup that I use for cereals/porridge to make it look like it's more, and me not feel deprived! I have a very weird thing about having a full plate though! I also love the idea of smaller plates, but havent managed to find a good sized one yet :(
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Smaller plate is good idea.I'd also go with the recommended portions on the back of the packet, also known as servings. Most foods say that.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Hate to sound like a broken record but it's definitely a digital scale. I weigh everything! Even my wine!
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If it's not possible to weigh your food (scale broken, at a buffet/potluck, whatever), take as much salad/veggies as you want, and only take half of what you really want when getting anything else. Then go back for seconds if you still feel hungry.
  • spirit2nd
    spirit2nd Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    the problem for me is not how to measure the portion, but that I'm not satisfied after I eat it.
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options

^^ this - with a digital scale
  • cindy326
    cindy326 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i use measuring cups..and general rules...serving of meat about the size of your palm or a deck of cards..
  • Happy_Harlow
    Options
    Do y'all have a favorite trusted scale/brand I should consider for a digital scale? :)
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Do y'all have a favorite trusted scale/brand I should consider for a digital scale? :)

Salter are pretty much the most reliable brand I think.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If it's not possible to weigh your food (scale broken, at a buffet/potluck, whatever), take as much salad/veggies as you want, and only take half of what you really want when getting anything else. Then go back for seconds if you still feel hungry.

I like this idea! Thanks.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I also got a food scale it helps so much! I can't believe how small serving sizes really are.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 270 Member
    Options

This seems to help a lot of people on this site. I figure for as long as I'm not doing what Homer is doing in this GIF, it's a great start.

heaven_o_943718.gif
  • SmartAngieT
    SmartAngieT Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's one of my struggles as well your not alone for me I don't like the sensation of being full it's one of my many sensory issues because I had been born with high functioning down syndrome it makes portion control all the more overwhelming measuring everything is just adding to the frustration because there's too much information at once and using a smaller plate is easy but it seems like there are only four sizes that are hard to balance out the mental scale of serving sizes in my mind it ranges from too small medium-small and too Large
  • GBPack93
    Options
    You can also prepackage things if you really want them, like divide the entire bag of chips, pretzels, w/e into servings and put them in ziploc bags when you buy the box, that way you aren't tempted to eat the whole box at once.