Healthiest cheese?

think48
think48 Posts: 366 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
What's the healthiest kind of cheese? I'm not into lowfat and fat free cheese. I want the real stuff! I'll eat "made with 2% milk" cheese, but that's it. So, I want to be able to put cheese on my sandwiches and in my foods - what kind is the least fat per serving? I've tried googling it, but can't find anything.

Replies

• trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    There's a kind of cheese we get at Sam's Club. It's Jarlsberg Light Swiss. It's low in fat but tastes like cheese. Only 50 calories a slice and, I think, 2.5 grams of fat.
  • think48
    I'll have to look that up. I don't belong to a Sam's club, but maybe I can find it somewhere else. My guess was going to be Swiss. If that's true, that's good, I love it! Oh, well, I love ANY cheese. :)
    Thanks!
  • frogmommy
    frogmommy Posts: 151 Member
    The reduced fat feta and reduced fat blue cheese are wonderful cheeses still full of flavor. I use both in salads, eggs, on top of burgers, chicken, mixed in with quinoa... The list goes on! Fat free varieties seem to have the texture of rubber, but the reduced fat types do not seem to. Also, Laughing Cow Light varieties are great spread on things or melted into things.
  • I buy the Sargento lowfat provolone and swiss slices and they taste just great! Come from a family of cheese eaters.......lol!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Just a heads up...watch your sodium with the "low fat" and "reduced fat" cheeses. Sodium in 1 slice of cheese tends to be doubled or tripled in some - it's not worth the extra sodium to me :)
  • missboriken
    missboriken Posts: 52 Member
    Goat cheese is healthier than cow milk cheese- it’s higher in calcium & protein; contains the amino acid tryptophan and also phosphorus. Goat cheese contains riboflavin or vitamin B2 (which plays important roles in the body's energy production), potassium (which helps prevent high blood pressure and protects against arteriosclerosis) , goat's milk contains 25 percent more vitamin B-6 than cow's, vitamin A is 47% higher in goat's milk, too. It has three times as much niacin as cow cheese & four times higher in copper & also contains 27 percent more of the antioxidant selenium than cow's milk.

If you prefer non-goat cheese- Parmesan cheese has the highest amount of calcium @ 1376mg of calcium per 100g serving (138% RDA), or 386mg (38% RDA) per ounce, and 69mg (7% RDA) per tablespoon- followed by Romano cheeses.

Regarding fat content, it's a myth that softness = healthiness and hardness= fat. Hard or soft, they all can be fatty. The difference in texture is because of moisture.

Processed cheese spreads and 2% cheeses....I agree with you, I rather have the real thing. And I should know... I work in the biggest mozzarella cheese plant in the world.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Yes, I second goat cheese!! Very flavorful and low in calories! 1/4 cup of full fat goat cheese has less calories than 1/4 cup of reduced fat feta, and 10x the flavor!
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    I buy the Sargento lowfat provolone and swiss slices and they taste just great! Come from a family of cheese eaters.......lol!

Completely agree! That provolone is the best!! You can't tell the difference taste wise... and sodiums not too bad.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    mozzarella,is the best cheese you can have on a diet.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    mozzarella,is the best cheese you can have on a diet.
  • Provolone runs around 70 cals per slice. It melts good too! MMmmm Cheese!
  • think48
    I had no idea provolone was so low in calories. I eat a lot of that too.
This discussion has been closed.