Exercise calories

Options
xv0nx
xv0nx Posts: 16 Member
What do people do with their extra calories they earn from exercise?
My calorie goal is 1200 so if I burn off 400, does that mean I've only had 800 calories?? I'm confused!!
Is it best to eat them all, leave them, or only eat if I'm hungry?

Xx

Replies

• Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I eat part of mine back, otherwise, I am hungry. MFP is set up for you to eat them back.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you are using MFP method then you eat them back and make sure you net 1200 if that is what MFP has your daily goal set to.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Eat them

Net 1200
  • lairyliam
    lairyliam Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I eat them, and some days (2-3 times a week) i have 3000+ calories to eat!

I use a fit bit and a HRM, and have lost all my weight this way. I always strive to get as close to 0 as possible.
  • xv0nx
    Options
    Okay. Im just worried I wont lose anything if I eat them.......
  • vickyjane1710
    vickyjane1710 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey i used to eat all mine, even if it was over 1000. Then i plateaued and figured i was eating too many carbs. I tend to worry about my carbs morethan my cals now, and dont go over 200g per day. It worked for me
  • sam45890
    sam45890 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am usually within 100 cals of my net allowance every day. I still lost weight eating almost all of my exercise calories back.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Okay. Im just worried I wont lose anything if I eat them.......

Don't worry! The deficit is already built in for you to lose even if you don't exercise at all. When you exercise, you make the deficit too large. Eat all those calories back, and your weight loss deficit will still be in place.
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat back a set amount- assuming MFP is too generous. If I had a heart rate monitor I'd eat most of whatever that said back, but as I don't I generally tend to set the ballpark figure at eating back at least 30% up to about 60% ish (if I'm hungry/been for a really long run). Mind, this is from a few months of experimenting with that number, so my figure might not work for you.

Take today, ran for 15 miles and apparently that burnt about 1500 calories according to MFP: my goal will be to eat about 700 of those back. Then again, this tends to change week to week, and I have been known to eat the entire 100% before and not feel too guilty about it dependent on what's on the menu: although I tend to limit when this does happen!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    What do people do with their extra calories they earn from exercise?
    My calorie goal is 1200 so if I burn off 400, does that mean I've only had 800 calories?? I'm confused!!
    Is it best to eat them all, leave them, or only eat if I'm hungry?

Xx

I hope I can give you a bit of advice here from what I have learned...I started on 1200 cals a day and I used my exercise calories for some extra food or a glass of wine/treat.

If you are allocated 1200 cals and you exercise 400 then you will net 800 which is below (way below) what you need to net to keep healthy.

When I first started on this whole weight loss thing it became the whole focus of my daily life, every mouthful every exercise. Every morning stepping on the scale. Which I suppose is a good thing, as now I have got to where I want to be.

So my advice really would be, make sure you do not net below 1200 cals, make sure you do some strength training (weights) so you tone at the same time.

So eat your calories/strength train. :smile:
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Eat them all, especially if you only have 1200 caloires a day.
  • xv0nx
    Options
    Im too scared to weight train as not confident enough. Only do cardio and core atm x
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i eat them if i'm hungry..if not I leave them, because i'm sure their will be another day I will be hungry... and not exercise and want to eat more..