calories burned in a day

Options
cagefan
cagefan Posts: 194 Member
I aim for burning at least 900 calories a day. What is your goal for calories burned in a day?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    zero. i don't set arbitrary calorie burning numbers. i find it much more effective to follow a progressive workout plan for both my weights and my cardio. when i'm done, i'm done, and i don't care what the estimated calorie count is. I just want to get stronger, better, or faster.

besides, you can accomplish the same exact thing by eating 900 less calories per day.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal for calories burned per day.

My goal is to stay within my calorie goal; any exercise I do is a bonus. I'm leery of high calorie burns and how they can easily be overestimated thus sabotaging my plan to lose and/or maintain my weight.
  • greatwestescape
    Options
    I go by type of exercise, activity level & total time.

I aim for 10 hours a week of moderate-difficult exercise.
    E.g outdoor jogging at 6mph, twice a week rugby, length swimming, light jogging, hiking etc

From what i read, cardio machines over estimate calories burned by up to 20%.

If i aim for calories, i will eat something bad to compensate because ive been 'good today' or the day before. This lead to failure every time for me.

I prefer to eat healthy, exercise at least 45 minutes every day and go from there. I dont care about the scale, i go by body fat %.
  • mgirard447
    mgirard447 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I used to aim for 800 calories burnt a day and i burnt myself out and ended up gaining my weight back. Now I aim to exercise, and if I burn 300 ish Im happy cause I still stay within my calorie goals
  • vitkomazzetti
    vitkomazzetti Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    DavPul, that was silly!!! If your estimated calorie intake is supposed to be, lets say, 2000 Cals a day, and if you don't exercise, you SHOULD NOT just eat 900 Cals less to accomplish the same as exercising 900 cals. Then your net intake will be 1100 Cals which will put your body in a starvation mode.

That was very silly of you to suggest, DavPul.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Huh?
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal for burning calories in a day. I just go running three times per week and weights once per week.

My HRM gives me my calorie burn, but I do not actually set out to achieve a set number, some times it may be as little as 250 other times as high as 700 or above.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    DavPul, that was silly!!! If your estimated calorie intake is supposed to be, lets say, 2000 Cals a day, and if you don't exercise, you SHOULD NOT just eat 900 Cals less to accomplish the same as exercising 900 cals. Then your net intake will be 1100 Cals which will put your body in a starvation mode.

Actually, he wasn't saying that lol.

I think you misunderstood what DavPul was saying.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    The point is:, you can create a deficit either by eating less or exercising more, in whatever combination you find most sustainable. PS: I, personally do not believe in "starvation mode". Maybe a slight metabolic slowdown, but only after 48-72 hours of fasting, not just being short 100 calories in one day.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I don't aim for burning calories. I aim for being active 3-4 days a week. And keeping up with the laundry as best I can.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

That's not exactly what he said.

And nobody's body is going into the dreaded 'starvation mode' for eating 1100 calories a few times during a week. That's just silly. It won't help you get big and strong, if that's your goal, but you won't starve to death either.
  • east2west14
    east2west14 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If I burn 600 calories at the gym I always put 100 calories less when I record it on MFP so it will be 500 or a little less. Then I eat back anywhere from 0 to 30 percent. It works for me.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    i aim for improving my workout from last time. i don't worry about arbitrary calorie burn numbers.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I 'burn' really low. The highest I have ever gotten via a hrm is 500 cals, on a 7 km , 70 min walk. I just try and get some exercise on top of work and household stuff.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i just aim to have a good work out.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I used to aim for 500 calories a day but that just wasn't sustainable for me. I just aim to do at least 30 mins of something 6 days a week. I figure any kinda exercise is better than none.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    zero. i don't set arbitrary calorie burning numbers. i find it much more effective to follow a progressive workout plan for both my weights and my cardio. when i'm done, i'm done, and i don't care what the estimated calorie count is. I just want to get stronger, better, or faster.

besides, you can accomplish the same exact thing by eating 900 less calories per day.

^This.
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Personally, I aim for 700-1000 on the treadmill and deduct 15%. I don't log exercise on here anymore either.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I aim for 60 to 90 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. The other 2 days I usually do some "active rest" like playing golf. Having used a Body Media monitor, it became obvious that the MFP calculator was over estimating my calorie burn by as much as 50%. So I eat back about half of my exercise calories.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    If I burn 600 calories at the gym I always put 100 calories less when I record it on MFP so it will be 500 or a little less. Then I eat back anywhere from 0 to 30 percent. It works for me.

that is more math than my brain has time for....LOL.
    ACK! Why is everything math and numbers?? I guess my math teacher was right.