Wish bone ranch dressing (light)

Options
We've always bought HIDDEN VALLEY Ranch (regular) dressing but today all they had was wishbone, light ranch.

So grabbed it, and used it on my salad and EW it's nasty! I mean it isn't BAD BAD but definitely not what ranch has ever tasted like before!! im just curious if anyone knows if its the brand, or because it's 'light'? And has anyone else ever made the switch from a regular to light dressing? do you eventually get used to and maybe "grow on" the taste of it?

Replies

• katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    wish bone=ewwwwwwwww!!! SERIOUSLY try KRAFT!!!! the light asian sesame is delish...I have gotten all my friends hooked!
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    If you like the taste of Hidden Valley, why not buy the seasoning mix packets and make your own with healthier ingredients (LF sour cream instead of full fat, LF plain Greek yogurt instead of mayo, 1% or soy milk).
  • cnash81
    Options
    Making a switch can be a shock to your tastebuds, but you eventually adjust. I had a hard time switching from sugar to splenda for my coffee, but now it's no big deal. As far as the ranch dressing goes, I've never tried the wish bone brand. When my family started eating healthier, we switched from hidden valley regular to Hidden Valley Fat Free ranch. Only 30 cals. and 3g. sugar for a serving of 2 Tbsp. I usually only wind up using 1 Tbsp. anyway because I don't like tons of dressing. My ten year old couldn't tell the difference and she's a ranch dressing addict. Like I said, never tried wishbone, but light or fat free dressings aren't all gross. My guess is it's the taste of that brand that's not so appealing. Since you're already used to hidden valley taste, you'd probably like the fat free version.
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    I agree with stringcheeze. The hidden valley mixes are SO good, and you can use low fat ingredients. =]
  • Mari1969
    Options
    It's the brand. I do not like the fat free or reduced fat on Ranch dressing but the Wishbone is especailly gross. Now on the other hand they have a reduced fat Sweet and Spicy French that is delicious!!
  • Hughes39
    Options
    If you like the taste of Hidden Valley, why not buy the seasoning mix packets and make your own with healthier ingredients (LF sour cream instead of full fat, LF plain Greek yogurt instead of mayo, 1% or soy milk).
    ill have to try that next time we go to the grocery store. all we have here in town is this little "hole in the wall" place they call a grocery store. so there is very little choices.
  • blackbsm
    blackbsm Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wishbone makes a salad spritzer ranch vinegarette, that is good...if you don't like a lot of dressing and really just want the hint of ranch. I discovered it on my last trip to the grocery store, and I have been using it ever since. I even used a little of it on a piece of baked chicken breast...much better alternative to using the dressing.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    i have no problem with the light dressings and tend to buy what's on sale. i was addicted to the wishbone honey dijon but i stopped because of the high fructose corn syrup in it.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I always buy the regular dressing but to cut down on the calories I just dilute 1Tbps with some lemon juice to stretch it farther. Also, I put my salad into a tupperware, pour the dressing on, close the lid, and shake it up. That distributes it evenly on every single piece so I don't need to use as much dressing.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,740 Member
    Options
    I always used to get the Kraft Light Ranch. It tastes pretty decent, but it does have corn syrup. I recently discovered something absolutely wonderful. It's in the refrigerated section (where you find packaged salads), and not all stores carry it. It's Bolthouse Farms Creamy Yogurt Dressing. It has fewer calories and less fat than Kraft Light; no trans fat; no preservatives or MSG; and no artificial colors, flavors or added sugar. And the best part? It's delicious! I've tried ranch, blue cheese, honey mustard, Parmesan Caesar, and Asian ginger vinaigrette. The Parmesan Caesar is my favorite, but the ranch is a pretty close second. Dang, I'm drooling now!