Women who are married or engaged?

Options
How did your Husband propose to you? And where did he propose?

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    We had been together for 3 years and living together for 2 when he joined the Navy. We never had plans to marry since it just wasn't that important to us, but we were strongly considering it when he went into the military. When he got out of bootcamp, we were walking to the car with his family who I had carpooled with. I asked him if I would be able to come with him when he gets stationed. He said yes. I asked "without getting married?" He said "No, we'll be married." I stopped and looked at him funny. He kissed my hand, gave me a wink and got in the car. No rings, no kneeling, no fireworks. It was perfect for me. I'm just not the kind of girl who wants or even likes that stuff. We didn't even have a wedding. We grabbed our parents and went to the courthouse when he got out of A school. But we did have a b****ing party in my hometown to celebrate. That was the part of the wedding I really wanted!

Not so sweet part. He was so excited about getting married, he wanted to elope to New Orleans when I went to visit him while he was in A school. He told me via text message while I was at work. I got the text after a store meeting and two of my friends had to walk me out of the store because I went paper white and started having a panic attack. We decided against that. I needed my daddy there to give me away. Although later, I found out my dad was a little upset that I didn't just call him. He said he would have flown down to New Orleans with me and given me away before he went off to party with my aunt and stepmom. Ah, parents.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    He booked us a surprise overnight trip to a nearby inn. He does that occasionally won't wasn't a tip off. They has a 5 star dining room with a dress code so we got all dressed up and went to dinner. We were the only two guests. The food was amazing. When we got up from the table, I turned to leave and be said "oh I forgot something". When I turned around, he was on one knee with the ring box. I opened it, just to make sure it was what I thought (like he would be on one knee for anything else) and he asked. I laughed and got him to stand back up and hugged him, took the ring out. When we left the restaurant the owner (who knew what he was going to do) asked if I had said yes. I said "I don't think I did, but "yes"". I'm pretty sure the yes had been implied.

It was perfect for is. I loved it.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    No proposal. It was more like this:

tumblr_ldbozhzzDT1qbq7ok.gif

I also got married in my living room, no wedding dress and no guests (and no it was not a shotgun wedding :) ). Long, boring story. Bottom line is I detest DRAMA of any kind and refuse to be part of it so I basically told everyone to F off and did it the easy way. :drinker:
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,287 Member
    Options
    Should have gone to Vegas
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My husband didn't propose. We just discussed marriage and then we went and picked out a ring. :laugh:

Having a perfect proposal (or any proposal at all) just wasn't that important to me. Might not be for everyone but it worked for us.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    he did it in a park while walking together on a beautiful day. I didn't expect him to do it like that but it was lovely. he was all nervous and cute.

we've known each other since sixth grade. and he rocks. I totally married that guy.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Hubs and I lived 7 hours apart, so we got together on weekends. One particular weekend 14 years ago, as we snugged on his couch soon after I arrived at his house, I felt something in his pocket (no, not that! lol). So, he takes out....a ring box with a beautiful engagement ring. He never did ask me to marry him...I just screamed "YES!!!" :heart:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Mine was so nervous all evening that I knew he was either breaking up with me or proposing, but he'd been dropping hints for a while so I suspected proposing.
  • 1hotmama2b
    1hotmama2b Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Mine wrapped up 12 roses individually for xmas morning. I unwrapped each one which had a saying that meant something form our time together. The final one said "Will you marry me?" and when I looked up he was on one knee holding out the most beautiful ring with our son beside him waiting for an answer.... He did it xmas morning because it is my favorite day of the year... It continues to be a favorite holiday in our home!:heart:
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Around Christmas we had an argument and he told me he was "worried about us". New Year's Eve, he told me we needed to talk. I thought he was about to break up with me; it was terrible. Then he pulled out the box and asked if I would spend the rest of my life with him. Talk about an emotional roller coaster!!!
    I love him, but boy was I mad he put me through that just for the element of surprise!
  • PeanutButterLuver
    Options
    Proposed while on holiday.

Had a very small outdoor wedding with parents & siblings only. I wasn't comfortable with even doing that but I had to compromise.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    We had talked about it for a few weeks beforehand, and even picked out the rings, but he officially proposed on one knee, in front of his mom, dad, (who photographed the whole thing), and younger sister (who did a play by play to whomever she was talking with on the phone at the time. He was wearing his dress pants and nice shirt at the time. I (showing my age here) was wearing jeans and a New Kids on the Block tee shirt, as I had no clue this was going to happen. One of the sweetest moments of my life. That was 24 years ago and I'm still in love with him. :heart: :love: :smile:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Mine was so nervous all evening that I knew he was either breaking up with me or proposing, but he'd been dropping hints for a while so I suspected proposing.

Mine wasnt nervous at all. I would have suspected it if he was. I did initially suspect it but he was so calm I thought there was no way he was going to.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    Should have for sure. Elvis marrying us would be quite the memory!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The first time was before we even met face to face. I mentioned in an email that I liked Beavis & Butthead and made an excellent Chicken Quesadilla, and he replied, "Will you marry me now, or later?" :laugh:

There were a few other not-quite-proposals like that, but no formal engagement. After we'd been together two years, we'd been trying to plan a "perfect" wedding that would be good for both his family and friends in Maryland and mine in PA. Then we decided that the ceremony itself really didn't matter. BEING married mattered more than GETTING married. So we eloped at the courthouse with both sets of parents. His best friend from back home was able to come up and was "best man." My "maid of honor" was a court reporter who happened to be walking by. It was so simple and perfect and just ... us.

We're together almost 14 years, and married almost 12.
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    We talked on and off, and I wanted to be married before my son started school. We had been dating since I was in the tenth grade and had my son in 98.

So the story goes like this, we got off work and he told me. "Hey let's go get rings" we did, and made a wedding date soon after. It's been 16 years together and 11 years married.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    My hubby knew darn well that I would never agree to a surprise proposal. In fact, he knew it was unlikely I'd agree to any type of marriage proposal, so he did it very carefully.

He dropped an obvious hint, and then dropped the entire conversation. He made his intentions clear and then waited for a few months for me to come around and agree to it.

Basically, I told him how pissed I was that all of my friends, family, and acquaintances were pressuring me to get married. I described a particularly annoying comment from one of my classmates and then he said, "If I had a ring, you'd have it by now."

Ahhh *kitten*... There it was. I said, "What?!" He said, "you heard me. Now pass the milk" or something like that. We continued our meal or whatever it was that we were up to at the time. This happened in April 2003.

Then, in August, after a whole summer of (literally) carrying me around after my foot surgery, we were at Bed Bath and Beyond looking at silverware. I have no idea why two crazy college kids were looking at a fancy set of Oneida, but we were. It was an $80 set of silverware and we picked it out because it would last a long time. Sneaky! It was at that moment, with the silverware in the car that I realized what was happening. I was planning my whole life together with him. At that point, I admitted that it was time to go ring shopping. He had been taking care of me in sickness and in health and picking out stuff for a home when we weren't even close to living together yet. I finally admitted to myself, to him, and to the rest of the world that I could be tamed and he was the only person I ever wanted to be with for the rest of my life.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,287 Member
    Options
    Should have for sure. Elvis marrying us would be quite the memory!

Fat elvis for the win!
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    ProgressNotPerfection32 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I had talked about getting married for months and I knew he picked out a ring (I didn't want a part in picking it out, I wanted it to be a surprise). We made our annual trip to the amusement park 3 hours from home to do their coasters and haunted houses and on the way up he was really quiet. We got settled in our room and we were laying in bed talking and he jumped up, couldn't wait any longer, he was so excited, and asked if I wanted to see the ring. LOL what was supposed to be a proposal never happened. I happened to think it was adorable that he was so excited I didn't care!

Btw i hate drama too and we got married in my living room with only family present. It was a 2nd marriage for us both and we didn't want drama or hassles.
  • puckit61
    puckit61 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bumping this because I'm a sucker for cute love stories. :)