Heart rate monitor?

Options
I want to purchase a heart rate monitor that you wear around your chest. I've heard that they are the most accurate. One that measures distance might be nice as well. I'm a big girl, so I would need it to be able to fit me as well as be incredibly accurate. Does anyone have one that they love?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Incredibly accurate does not exist outside of a lab.

Garmins are great if you are looking for distance/pace etc. they are primarily GPS with a heart rate option. Keep in mind that not all models that have a HRM use the HR for calorie estimates, you need to check the specs. I believe the 100 model does and the higher end models as well.

Some good posts regrading HRMs
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • kherrons
    kherrons Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and like it quite a bit. Mine only keeps track of exercise time, cals burned, HR, and lets you know if your in the optimal zone for fat burn or cardio improvement. I think most GPS monitors will be a wrist watch. There may be amore expensive Polar one that has all you're looking for. Oh, and the polar chest straps fit up to a 60' chest.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and like it quite a bit. Mine only keeps track of exercise time, cals burned, HR, and lets you know if your in the optimal zone for fat burn or cardio improvement. I think most GPS monitors will be a wrist watch. There may be amore expensive Polar one that has all you're looking for. Oh, and the polar chest straps fit up to a 60' chest.

The Garmin GPS are wrist watches but come with a Chest strap for the heart rate function.

ETA - I don't believe the FT4 has GPS.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have and iphone so I purchased a blue tooth wahoo. It is awesome!.
  • twinsmom03
    twinsmom03 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I want to purchase a heart rate monitor that you wear around your chest. I've heard that they are the most accurate. One that measures distance might be nice as well. I'm a big girl, so I would need it to be able to fit me as well as be incredibly accurate. Does anyone have one that they love?
    I have the Polar FT7 as well....I love it! I am big too and it fits me well and is comfortable. While it would be nice to have the gps monitor I didn't want to spend that much. I bought mine on Amazon about 20 dollars cheaper than a Sporting store!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

The Garmin GPS are wrist watches but come with a Chest strap for the heart rate function.

ETA - I don't believe the FT4 has GPS.

No, it doesn't have GPS. I usually measure out my run course if it is a course I haven't run before on Gmaps Pedometer, it is quite handy actually, because I can save the courses on my account there.
  • daytondunn
    Options
    I've been reading and reading on here about HRM opinions and as I looked on Amazon and eBay to check prices, I got confused. On both sites, they'll say Mens or Womens, and the Women's seem to be higher? Is there a difference between the two? Just watch size? Strap size? Thanks....

Oh and I see a F7 on eBay but the FT7 on Amazon....difference?
  • KaltieEm
    KaltieEm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4F (the last F stands for female version = smaller watch) and I love it! Measure yourself right below your bra strap and then compare to the maximum size of the chest strop listed with the product to see if you'd fit.