Thintervention!

Options
OMG! Did anyone watch the first show of Bravos new reality series, Thintervention w/Jackie Werner? I had to DVR it last night, but watched it a little while ago! Wow, she is tough! I sure hope that I never sounded like some of those people when I was making excuse after excuse for eating bad and not working out. I did learn one tip, so far, though. She said, to one of the people, to put a splash of pure lemon juice in each bottle of water that she drank as the acid would help her burn more calories throughout the day and it would also help to clean out the liver. I think I will start doing this. I also had to laugh my butt off when one of the guys confessed to eating two cookies. She put an HRM on him, made him hold 2 oreo cookies, and made him run up and down the stairs until he burned off the 140 calories of those two cookies. Let's just say he had to run up and down the stairs A LOT of times. :laugh: Made me very glad that I have been able to give up the cookies!!!!!!! :wink:

Replies

• abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    OMG yes, I think they say you have to walk the length of a football field to burn off ONE M&M. Makes you look at the whole bag differently, ha, ha!
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    I dvr it. Can't wait to watch :)
  • mindymoe1
    Options
    omg i loved it!!!
  • kristenq76
    Options
    I watched it too....loved it! Hoping to learn some good habits watching it!!
  • jdmerritt84
    jdmerritt84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yeah it really made me think about all the junk I eat. It was a wake up call and hopefully I will think twice about cheating on my diet.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Okay, that's ridiculous. 2 oreo cookies are not 140 calories. And I'm pretty sure walking the length of a football field isn't equal to ONE M&M. A whole small bag is about 250 calories and I think that ended up to being like 11 or so calories per M&M. Walk SLOWLY for 2 minutes and you're done.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    you can also watch it here: http://www.bravotv.com/full-episodes
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I loved it when the one call called her a Nazi. LOL
    That made me look at cookies in a whole new light too.
    I bought some lemon juice this morning after what she said. The weigh in was pretty incredible. Although that guy Joe is already on my last nerve.
    Can't wait to see what next week brings.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Guess what Arielle? I just looked at the oreo package, in my daughters trash as I don't eat them, and it says, serving size, 2 cookies, calories = 140.
  • TracieJ65
    Options
    And, I can tell you that I power walk for a minimum of 60 minutes, every single day, and even at a pace of 3.0 miles per hour it takes about 15 minutes to burn 110-125 calories. I use an HRM and know exactly what I am burning.
  • TracieJ65
    Options
    Haven't seen the weigh in yet as I have 10 min left to watch but I am out the door to do a bike ride. It's been raining here for 10 days and I haven't been able too since so I am going to get one in today then I will watch the rest. Nicki, thus far, is the one that is driving me crazy. She makes me really glad that I do not drink plus it's calories I don't have to worry about wasting.
  • cpad81
    cpad81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I watched the show last night as well... I thought it was okay. I used to watch Jackie's previous show, Work Out, and this is a lot like "Sky Lab," which was basically the same program she did at her gym Sky Sport... she would work them out vigorously and have them workout at the beach, etc. So to me, it's just a repeat of what she's already done, except it has a new name, Thintervention, and a familiar face - Gina from Housewives of O.C.

Jackie does give good tips, but her tough, bootcamp style doesn't seem like it will work in the long run for most people. Someone who is overweight or obese, in my opinion, should learn to make reasonable lifestyle changes, not do a complete 180. This may stick for the 13 weeks they are under her program, but what is going to happen afterwards? Usually, after extreme changes (like Jackie is having them do) people "relapse" and end up gaining the weight back because they go back to their old/regular way of eating. Deprivation is usually not a good way to lose and keep off weight... moderation is. Again, my opinion.

I also could not stand that guy Joe... I think that was his name. He basically wants to lose weight so he can get laid. For some reason he thinks he can't take a girl home because of his belly. Newsflash to him: it's your horrendous attitude and personality that makes you unattractive, not your weight/size/abdomen. Calling the other participants "fat *kitten*" just made me cringe. What a complete and total loser.

All in all, it's an okay show... I really hope the people who are on there reach their goals and are given the tools to succeed and keep up the work after the show is over. So many of them seem dedicated and motivated, so I wish them the best on their journey. I just know that type of extreme change would never work for me long-term.
  • Mary_Burris
    Options
    Oh yea I can't wait to watch it now!!!!!!!!!!!! I would love to have a trainer like her or Jillian. :tongue: I know Im crazy LOL:bigsmile:
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The only trouble is, I hate to see people attacked or belittled for their weight. My sister once told me she thought the reason I was fat was because my husband didn't get on my case enough for it! Seriously, my husband knows that "getting on my case" would make me feel so bad that I'd drown my sorrows in a vat of ice cream or bag of candy. There is a lot of emotion behind our overeating and nobody should be belittled just because they carry around a bit too much weight. I'm sorry, but a thintervention would have made matters worse in my case. I would have been so embarrassed and demoralized that I would have wanted to die.

I will not watch this show.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, 2 Oreos = 140 calories. Well I had 2 Cool Mint Oreos last night and looked at the package and that's what it said. 3 regular Oreos are 160. Hmm.
  • LJK100
    LJK100 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    <
    WISHES Jackie Warner lived next door to meeeeeeee!!!!:smile:
  • rachmj526
    rachmj526 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think it's the double stuffed oreos (or whatever the actual name is) that have 140 calories for 2 cookies and maybe a couple other varieties. I believe the regular ones are 160 or 170 calories for 3 cookies. :wink:
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I liked the show. I didn't love it. One complaint I have is they do not provide the height of the contestants. It helps me for my own personal comparison. While Jackie's program is intense, I think she is taking lifestyle change approach with people - cutting out the sugar and processed foods, giving them tasks (i.e. walk or run 2 miles in the morning - and explaining that a stroll with your mother is not the same as working out for yourself), and the group therapy to help people identify with the REAL issues. It is like rehab -- its a jump start and gives people the tools to change but as with everything else, you have to put the work into it to see results.
  • TracieJ65
    Options
    Knittygirl, I agree with you! I would have been the exact same way if someone got on my case or said one darn thing to me about my weight or eating! It wasn't until I decided to make the change that I have been able to do it. I have been on this journey since 1/14 and it has just been recently, like last week, actually, that anyone that is close to me has seemed to be somewhat comfortable to speak to me about my progress and what I have been doing. I think it may be important, as we are all discussing this show, or any other show like it, that the people that are on it, just like Survivor, Amazing Race, Big Brother, Jersey Shore, Top Chef, or whatever it may be, that the people sign up for it. They ask to be on the show and by asking I would imagine they are agreeing to what ever may come their way. Exactly why you would never see me volunteer to be on ANY of the reality shows!