Gym Bag Recommendations Needed!

Options
rharris86dc
rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
Hey everyone! I'm in the market for a new gym bag. The old one is falling apart, and waaaay too small for what I need to carry now.

So, what do YOU use to haul your gear/water/clean-up necessities to and from? I'm thinking a small duffel bag, but can't really tell the size just looking at the specs online.

Any recommendations would be super helpful, thanks!

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you need to carry in it. Really, anything of a proper size will work.
  • rharris86dc
    Options
    But what exactly IS the proper size? I have a giant duffel bag, which I use for traveling, as a carry on. That's definitely way too big.

I'll need to carry a change of clothes/shoes/socks, small towel, water bottle, deodorant, workout notebook, some small snacks, and a few (2-3) small makeup-sized pouches for toiletries and my HRM components.

Not a ton of stuff, but since I'll be working first, then working out, I do need to bring some extra things that I didn't always need with me. I see that Nike has an extra-small and small sized options, I just need to know how those sizes work for other people.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    But what exactly IS the proper size? I have a giant duffel bag, which I use for traveling, as a carry on. That's definitely way too big.

I'll need to carry a change of clothes/shoes/socks, small towel, water bottle, deodorant, workout notebook, some small snacks, and a few (2-3) small makeup-sized pouches for toiletries and my HRM components.

Not a ton of stuff, but since I'll be working first, then working out, I do need to bring some extra things that I didn't always need with me. I see that Nike has an extra-small and small sized options, I just need to know how those sizes work for other people.

Definitely go into a store and check out the sizes. A change of clothes can vary a lot from person to person. My clothes, for instance, will be more volumous than a 120lb girl wearing small shorts and a tank top.

My bag is in my truck, or I'd give you the brand that I use. It -sounds- like it would work for you.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Old Navy has great totes that would probably be big enough for what you're carrying. I don't have a lot to bring with me to the gym since I live close by, so I just put what I need to in my regular purse.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Walmart has lots of them from 18" to 42". Go and check them out... even if you don't like the styles they carry, you'll be able to figure out the size you want.
  • RedHotHunter
    RedHotHunter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I have a Nike bag, Medium size. Somedays it feels too big but I do like the extra room. I use the end pouch on the right for toiletries because I often shower at the gym and then go to work. I use the other end for my shoes. The large middle section holds a change of clothes (including jeans) easily. That is where I certainly have extra room but I'm the type that would rather have a little extra room than too little. Sometimes I shove my softside cooler in there, so then the extra space is good. For reference it's the 20x12x12 bag.
  • rharris86dc
    Options
    Thanks for these suggestions! I'll definitely have to go out and see what the various sizes look like, and judge from there. All of your comments have been really helpful!
  • bohica36
    bohica36 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Make sure it will fit in the locker at the gym.
  • misti3176
    misti3176 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do you want it to zip?

If it's okay for it to be an open bag, the Organizing Utility Tote from Thirty-One would be a good option! I have several (I'm a consultant) and you can carry a lot in them.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have one from New Balance. It is HUGE. I bought it because it was pink and on clearance. Works for me.